  1) RE: electric bicycle - need help
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Wheel alignment Or How to significantly reduce rolling resistance!
        by Markus Lorch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Google presses for 100 MPG vehicle
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Adapter Problem
        by "Tehben Dean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Thundersky Exchange
        by jukka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: electric bicycle - need help
        by "Will Beckett \(becketts\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Cheap
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Adapter Problem
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Thundersky Exchange
        by "DOUGLAS HARTLEY" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: Adapter Problem
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Thundersky Exchange
        by "Dave Davidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: electric bicycle - need help
        by "Chuck Hays" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Made the first step recently...
        by Matthew Drobnak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: reed switch application
        by Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Project #3 is a Lawn Mower
        by mike golub <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Adapter Problem
        by "Tehben Dean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Wheel alignment Or How to significantly reduce rolling
     resistance!
The newer BionX kit is nice. I think it has a Li-Po pack.

I've installed a few of these on Birdy folding bikes. All the installations were done on the back wheel and involves replacing the rear cassette with a screw-on cassette.

The cool thing about the kits are they have regen and you can control the sensitivity of the regen on the LCD dashboard.

They are on the pricey side though, but it is a well engineered kit.

I think they are out of Canada.

Chip Gribben
ElectroScooterWorks.com

From: "Chuck Hays" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: June 29, 2007 2:30:06 PM EDT
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: RE: electric bicycle - need help

Two things:

I know that copy of SciAm is in our library here at
Thompson Rivers University. Let me know if you
need a good Xerox(tm) of it. Perhaps even a scan,
if you can't find it through a good academic search
engine.

Also, a quick browse through our online catalogue
turns up this gem, which I will have in hand
shortly:

Wilson, D.G., Papadopoulos, J. (2004) Bicycling
Science, 3rd Ed. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press

Interested in the thread because I've decided
to proceed in this direction myself. I've been
looking at the BionX kit -- they're making some
overly optimistic claims but they don't seem to
be as overly optimistic as some others. :)=)}

I'm planning to start with their 350W hub motor
and high-capacity pack, and then upgrade with
a front hub motor as well and more battery oomph
as finances allow. Will have to upgrade the old
Trek 800 as I go along.

What I'm aiming at is getting that EV grin, also
some exercise. I've given up riding the bicycle
in favour of the motorcycle due to the 40 km
commute to and from work. My neighbour is
a hard-core who pedals to work regularly, though.

Going fast would be nice, but I'll settle for being
able to make it up the hill to the U. Having a bit
of a boost to speed up the trip a bit is my aim,
using one or both motors as inclination or
exuberance dictates. I'd like to be able to
hack the trip in 90 minutes, which would be
half an hour quicker than the neighbour's time.

I think if you're looking for sustained 80km/hr
you'd better be building a fully-faired recumbent.
One with an aft-facing stoker position would be
even better -- I remember they were hitting
100 km/hr just on muscle power in the Human
Powered Vehicle races that I followed back in
the late '70s.

Chuck
Kamloops, BC

Hi folks,

have been driving round in my 90V Tavria for the last two weeks every chance I got. I installed and Amp and Voltmeter and closely monitored current and voltage. Also monitored my weakest block. Point was I was a bit dissappointed with the performance. Reading all your emails for several years now about the great acceleration of a DC series wound motor etc. (I have a 120lb 8" series motor mated to a manual gear box with a curtis 1221R and a 90V pack in a small car - 2500lbs) If I floor it right from the start there is an OK accelleration but at the cost of 450A which, as I was told, will murder my batteries in no time. I am creeping up hills with 20mph (always in the smallest gear I have) and still drawing 200A. I could go faster but am afraid my batteries will not like it. And the 50psi pressure in the tires lets me feel every little rock. So much for my physics lesson.

Now the good news. I found out one reason for the low performance when looking at my new front tires after only 100miles were on them. They looked like I would corner the car at high speeds all the time. When comparing the wheels I noted that they aint pointing in the same direction. Well sort of. The steering was off about 1 inch. Adjusting the steering meant removing all front batteries incl. the front battery rack. So, trying not to hurt my back, I spend yesterday evening doing just that and adjusting the wheels. Oh wonder, it now rolls much easier. I can push it with little effort.

Hill climbing and accelleration still needs Amps like heck but I can see and feel a clear difference in Amps drawn going a steady speed. Probably a 15% improvement. So, I guess I learned my lesson and will pay more attention to such details like wheel alignment :) This is all not such a big deal with my Elec-Traks. I guess they would just happily plow along with slightly misaligned front wheels (especially with the heavy garden tiller on the rear)

Markus

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Yeah, we've been through this, calculated it with the data given by even the best-case mfgs out there, and it just won't get anywhere near working.

The power requirements and the unit's size/weight are completely impractical. Furthermore, the performance is so limited at high temperature differentials that when it gets nice and hot outside the coolers won't produce any cold to speak of at all no matter how many are employed.

Search the archives, there is all the specific data there, but in short its usefulness has already been shot down.

Danny

(-Phil-) wrote:

TECs are not very efficient. Rugged yes, but if you are trying to save energy, stay far away!

-Phil
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Pikkula" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: jukka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Thundersky Exchange
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 23:37:17 +0300

My company Oy Finnish Electric Vehicle Technologies Ltd (FEVT) was established (2003) to design, produce and provide the most extreme but feasible Linux based BMS on the planet earth. With remote diagnostics and some basic AI to estimate SOH.

snipped...

Tehben Dean wrote:

> Yeah, my truck has a V6 in it and EA said that they did not
> have the pattern.

But if the truck was available with the 20R and 22R bolting up to the
same tranny, then there is still a very good chance that what they have
will work.  They, of course, cannot say that it will or will not until
they see your flywheel etc. to compare with the dimensions of the hub
for a 20R or 22R.

Surely with a bit of searching you can either get your hands on a
20R/22R flywheel to compare against your V6's, or you can determine if
the model tranny in your truck is the same as in domestic Toyota PUs
(therefore probably matching EA's existing 20R/22R pickup pattern).
Since the 20R/22R was an option for your HiLux, you could use use EA's
22R Pickup adapter and replace your V6 flywheel/pressure plate with
parts off a 22R.

Lots of options! ;^>

> Grassroots guy after fastening the motor to the flywheel just bolted a
> plate to the tranny and one to the motor and then set the tranny ontop
> and turned the motor on! then he taped it with a hammer untill it
> sounded smooth 8-0 Yikes!
> His method didn't look particularly difficult he was making
> measurements with what looked like a frameing square :)
> I can say that it helped me believe that it might be possible for me
> to do. However having the transmission flywheel whatever open to the
> outside seems a little strange??

It isn't necessary to leave the flywheel open to the outside (and is
probably undesirable most of the time).

I haven't seen Steve's video (come to think of it, haven't seen a post
from Steve Clunn in a long time either....), but adapters typically
consist of 3 parts: a coupler to connect the motor shaft to the tranny
shaft (this may or may not include a flywheel/clutch assembly), a flat
adapter plate that bolts to the tranny bellhousing around its periphery,
and a spacer that attaches between the motor and adapter plate and
spaces the motor away from the adapter plate by the right amount that
the flywheel (if used) is the stock distance from the face of the
adapter plate for proper clutch operation.

It sounds as if you could use Steve's method without leaving anything
open to the outside; just bolt the adapter plate to the tranny and tap
the spacer/motor until it is centered on the adapter plate, then secure
it permanently.

While most adapter plates don't, you might want to include a removable
inspection plate such as most ICE vehicles do, just in case you ever
want to peek inside the bellhousing without removing the entire motor.

--- Begin Message --- The way I read it, you will be selling cells which have already been tested, along with the BMS to keep them happy, all integrated into a pack. If so, that is fantastic news and should greatly help to calm the fears related to the early defective cells. Once proven, the demand for these will likely skyrocket.

It sure wouldn't hurt to send some new cells over here provided they are sent to the right people. Victor, Lee Hart, Rich Rudman come to mind as folks who could test them objectively. I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of. Once a company's reputation is tarnished by a defective product, it takes a while to repair that reputation even though the product may become the best on the market.

On this side of the globe, General Motors is a good example with their cars (yes, they do sell something besides trucks). As late as 2000 (the year of my pickup), their cars were crap, as is my truck. Now, I read that their quality has improved to rival the Japanese. However, many people won't buy their cars based on their experience with their previous cars, and buy Japanese instead (this doesn't count those of us who won't buy GM products based on principle). It will take a number of years and some unique products, such as the Volt, to win people back over. Even if I had nothing against GM, I would have to be convinced that their products offerred good value.

Thunder Sky is in a similar situation. They had some really poor product when first starting up and some folks got burned. Folks who know how to take care of batteries, not idiots like me who could kill the best batteries on earth. I applaud your efforts and wish you great success. It sounds like you have the problems solved, and if you sell systems with warrantees, and stand by what you sell, and prove them in service, the word will quickly spread.

Dave

From: jukka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 23:37:17 +0300

Hotmail to go? Get your Hotmail, news, sports and much more! http://mobile.msn.com
From: Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Yea, check out the Crystalyte motors, particularly the Phoenix Racer
motor using the 4840 controller. This is a 48 volt system bike on a
26 inch rim. Electric Rider carries them all.

http://www.electricrider.com/crystalyte/phoenix.htm

Oooooohhhhhh. I like. Man, you just
set back the planning process by weeks.

:)=)}

Possibly saved me some money, too --
I was gearing up to toss Cdn$1700+
at the BionX. This looks considerably
more robust. Thinking about that
last hill I might look at the Brute instead,
because I'm not gonna need to ride
faster than 25 mph and I AM gonna
need some grunt to get up the hill.

Or I might just decide that the Racer
is the Whole Mahooha and just try
to get up the hill cranking in the
tallest gear I can manage.

The upside here is I can do without
a separate front hub motor, AND I can
put a hydro fork on with a disc brake.
An additional 70 pounds on the back is
gonna make it harder to endo when
grabbing the binders.

:)=)} Decisions, decisions. Sometimes
life sucks. This is not one of those times.

Chuck

New Windows Live Hotmail is here. Upgrade for free and get a better look. www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA150
2000 Lincoln LS, Warp 11" motor. :-)

But it's through an automatic. :-(

Anyone know what happens on a full-throttle shift with the converter locked? Will it arc?

-Matt
Ian Hooper wrote:
Ooer Zilla 2K-HV with PHET batteries, that sounds like a rather interesting conversion!

What's the donor vehicle? What motor are you looking at? Details, details! ;)

-Ian

On 29/06/2007, at 7:04 PM, Matthew Drobnak wrote:

On Thursday, the 27th, I ordered a Zilla 2k, 300 V controller....with an estimated 20 week lead time. :-/

The good news is that I'll have a controller that'll kick butt. The bad news is it will take a while.

Approx lead time on PHET batteries is a month. I've read 2-3 weeks on the motor. So, by far, this is the longest wait.

On my way to being an EVer,
-Matt

On Jun 27, 2007, at 9:17 PM, Lee Hart wrote:

If you just tape the reed switch to the motor wire without a core, it will take a higher current to pull in the reed. If it's a 10 ampere-turn reed, it might take 50 amps in the motor wire to pull in the reed because the magnetic flux spreads out all around the wire and most of it misses the reed.

A 1-turn coil with the motor wire is awkward to make; the wire is so thick that it won't bend around a tight radius like a reed switch.

To get the highest sensitivity out of the reed from a straight length of motor wire, you put a core around the wire, but put the reed at *right angles* to the wire. Shape the core like a horseshoe magnet, with the reed bridging the gap at the end, and the motor wire going through the center of the horseshoe. The wire generates a circular magnetic field around it. The core has much lower reluctance than air, so almost all the magnetic flux generated flows in it. It then passes through just a small air gap to the reed, so very little flux is missed.

Thank you Lee for kicking that brain fart out of my head. I don't want to put the created magnetic circuit in a toroid!

You also presented an idea of how a strait wire setup may compare to amp-turns. (around 1/5th turn +/-) Thank you.

Since the ignition switch and brake light switches are in the front of my car my plan is to place the reed on a main battery wire in the center of the pack (far away from the motor, controller, and main contactor.) The brake light circuit is non functional with the ignition switch is off so it should all go dead together (no funny cross power feeding in the 12v system.) I will have to carefully check my Buggy wiring diagrams but it seems OK at a glance. It looks like I could add a diode around the reed switch and cause the 1/2 brake failure warning light to stay on (even with the brake released) in the event this shut down circuit is activated.

Here is my hack on Lee's good work:

+12v power___________/____________________
switched by  | NC contact of relay        |
ign. switch  |_______/________          __|_
               NO contact     |        |   _|
               of relay       |       ---  _| main contactor coil
                              |        ^   _| Albright SW200 w/ diode
                motor wire    |        |____|
+ 12v switched  ==========    |           |
by brake lamp_______/_________|_          |
switch          NO reed    |   _| 12v     |
                switch    ---  _| relay   |
                           ^   _| coil    |
                           |____| w/diode |
GND___________________________|___________|

This is what I was trying to describe in my previous post. The system should do nothing unless the brake light circuit is trying to light the brake lights while current is flowing to the motor. The test is to press the brakes with my left foot and push a little bit on the throttle with the right foot. Since that is really bad for the current limit in an older Curtis 1221B at a stall the test should be done at speed. It seems pretty simple and a beach buggy isn't supposed to be a refined car anyway <g>.

On Jun 28, 2007, at 6:02 AM, Phil Marino wrote:

This may seem too simple, but why not just have the main contactor open when the brake lights are on?

Simpler is more reliable.

CLUNK, CLUNK, CLUNK is the easy answer. The real answer is that removing my foot from the brake would turn the car back on (possibly full on in the even of a controller failure.) My idea would latch the main contactor off until you cycle the IGN switch. A 1420 lb. EV can be real jumpy in low or reverse gear. Just because I bark the tires doesn't mean anything failed. It happens all the time in reverse.

Thanx,
Paul "neon" G.

which PM motor do you have?
--- Joe Smalley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If you use a PM motor and power it with the
> recommended voltage, it will
> self govern without a speed control.
>
> If you use a shunt wound motor, it behaves like a PM
> motor but you have the
> option of field weakening to increase the speed.
>
> If you use a series wound motor, you run the risk of
> overreving the motor
> if/when a belt breaks or the clutch is disengaged.
> If you install a rev
> limiter, there is no problem.
>
> I got a PM motor for mine but have not had time to
> install it.
>
> Joe Smalley
> Rural Kitsap County WA
> Former owner of 48 Volt Fiesta
> NEDRA 48 volt street conversion record holder
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
http://sims.yahoo.com/

I emailed EA to find out what transmission patterns they have for
toyota pickups. Usually takes at least a week to get a reply though:(
I am also trying to find out the compatibility of my transmission with
other engines.

On 6/29/07, Roger Stockton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Tehben Dean wrote:

> Yeah, my truck has a V6 in it and EA said that they did not
> have the pattern.

But if the truck was available with the 20R and 22R bolting up to the
same tranny, then there is still a very good chance that what they have
will work.  They, of course, cannot say that it will or will not until
they see your flywheel etc. to compare with the dimensions of the hub
for a 20R or 22R.

Surely with a bit of searching you can either get your hands on a
20R/22R flywheel to compare against your V6's, or you can determine if
the model tranny in your truck is the same as in domestic Toyota PUs
(therefore probably matching EA's existing 20R/22R pickup pattern).
Since the 20R/22R was an option for your HiLux, you could use use EA's
22R Pickup adapter and replace your V6 flywheel/pressure plate with
parts off a 22R.

Lots of options! ;^>

> Grassroots guy after fastening the motor to the flywheel just bolted a
> plate to the tranny and one to the motor and then set the tranny ontop
> and turned the motor on! then he taped it with a hammer untill it
> sounded smooth 8-0 Yikes!
> His method didn't look particularly difficult he was making
> measurements with what looked like a frameing square :)
> I can say that it helped me believe that it might be possible for me
> to do. However having the transmission flywheel whatever open to the
> outside seems a little strange??

It isn't necessary to leave the flywheel open to the outside (and is
probably undesirable most of the time).

I haven't seen Steve's video (come to think of it, haven't seen a post
from Steve Clunn in a long time either....), but adapters typically
consist of 3 parts: a coupler to connect the motor shaft to the tranny
shaft (this may or may not include a flywheel/clutch assembly), a flat
adapter plate that bolts to the tranny bellhousing around its periphery,
and a spacer that attaches between the motor and adapter plate and
spaces the motor away from the adapter plate by the right amount that
the flywheel (if used) is the stock distance from the face of the
adapter plate for proper clutch operation.

It sounds as if you could use Steve's method without leaving anything
open to the outside; just bolt the adapter plate to the tranny and tap
the spacer/motor until it is centered on the adapter plate, then secure
it permanently.

While most adapter plates don't, you might want to include a removable
inspection plate such as most ICE vehicles do, just in case you ever
want to peek inside the bellhousing without removing the entire motor.

If you have been reading the list for years, how did you miss the point
about 450 amp curtis having barely adequate performance?  And that is with
a 120V pack, couple low amps with a low voltage pack you have have to
expect low performance.
Series wound motors are great performers, but they can't make power out of
thin air.  Your controller and battery pack are good for 37 hp maximum,
that is about 30% less power than the original ICE.

Hopefully it is enough to keep you happy.  Have fun and try not to murder
your batteries ;-)

Cheers.