  1) Re: Building LiFePO4 packs from many, many 18650s (was Re:  Tesla
 Roadster Battery Pack)
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Building LiFePO4 packs from many, many 18650s (was Re: Tesla Roadster
Battery Pack)
        by "Shaun Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) My power consumption
        by "Richard Acuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Building LiFePO4 packs from many, many 18650s (was Re: Tesla
 Roadster Battery Pack)
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Building LiFePO4 packs from many, many 18650s (was Re:  Tesla Roadster
Battery Pack)
        by Marcin Ciosek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Building LiFePO4 packs from many, many 18650s
        by Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Jay Leno reviews the Tesla Roadster
        by "Claudio Natoli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: My power consumption
  9) Re: Building LiFePO4 packs from many, many 18650s (was Re:  Tesla
 Roadster Battery Pack)
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Ideal EV configuration for my situation?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 11) Re: Building LiFePO4 packs from many, many 18650s (was Re:  Tesla Roadster
Battery Pack)
        by Marcin Ciosek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Building LiFePO4 packs from many, many 18650s (was Re:
  Tesla Roadster Battery Pack)
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) conversion  question
        by "Tom S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Building LiFePO4 packs from many, many 18650s (was Re:  Tesla
 Roadster Battery Pack)
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: conversion  question
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Adding electric assist to a surrey bike
        by "Michael Wendell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) limiting wire
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 18) RE: Another EV smile
        by Jeff Mccabe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Building LiFePO4 packs from many, many 18650s
        by Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: limiting wire
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Another EV smile
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 22) Re: Building LiFePO4 packs from many, many 18650s
        by Marcin Ciosek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Building LiFePO4 packs from many, many 18650s (was Re:  Tesla Roadster
Battery Pack)
        by Marcin Ciosek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Ideal EV configuration for my situation?
        by "Matthew Chan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Ideal EV configuration for my situation?
        by "George Swartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Do we have any prices on bulk A123 cells?
has anyone ever been able to buy some?

Jukka Järvinen wrote:
Bill.. Do you have any info on A123s how they die after overchareged repeatedly ? How many cycles are needed with overcharging to reduce the cell capacity and/or increase the internal resistance to unusable levels?

A was kindly given a quote by the A123 Systems folk a couple of months
ago for 1500 cells but in the spirit of a good conspiracy theory, on
which some appear to thrive, I can't possibly tell you their price...
:-)

However, a quick search for "DeWalt 36V" prices at eBay will give you
the correct answer (with the bonus of a 10 "module" battery balancer
thrown in!).

Shaun

www.electric-echo.com

On 7/9/07, Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Do we have any prices on bulk A123 cells?
has anyone ever been able to buy some?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Ok, I have some more numbers to add to my power consumption curve for a '74 bug with 16, 8v batteries @69 lbs. each:

Last night, when I went to Annapolis, I averaged 33 mph @ 65 amps * 135 volts= 8.8kW (rounded up) 1st gear. This morning's commute on the highway I averaged 55 mph @ 90 amps *130 volts= 11.7kW. 2nd gear.

Like I said, without an E-meter it's kind of hard to be perfectly accurate due to all the low-grade hills around here. My inbound commute is definitely an overall uphill pull but I used a pretty level stretch to get the 11.7kW number.

I have good, new tires and the alignment is straight. I'd like to regrease my bearings and replace the gearbox oil. I also intend to swap out the Subaru seats for light, polymer racing seats as well as all fenders, trunk and deck lids for fiberglass replacements. The body panels alone will save me almost 200 lbs. Maybe that'll help a little.

Rich A.

I'm not sure I follow that reasoning but please tell me the price

Shaun Williams wrote:
A was kindly given a quote by the A123 Systems folk a couple of months
ago for 1500 cells but in the spirit of a good conspiracy theory, on
which some appear to thrive, I can't possibly tell you their price...
:-)

However, a quick search for "DeWalt 36V" prices at eBay will give you
the correct answer (with the bonus of a 10 "module" battery balancer
thrown in!).

Shaun

www.electric-echo.com

On 7/9/07, Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Do we have any prices on bulk A123 cells?
has anyone ever been able to buy some?

Dan,

how many do you need ? Do you need them welded together or you are able to do
it by yourself.
It can take a bit long but we can order a "few" extra and sell you as complete
pack.

Marcin

On Monday 09 July 2007 11:06:48 Dan Frederiksen wrote:
> Do we have any prices on bulk A123 cells?
> has anyone ever been able to buy some?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- You can buy DeWalt 9360 packs for about US$100, and they have 10x M1 cells in them, so it would seem US$10/cell is about the going rate.

Or US$1.43/Wh, which is pretty expensive even for LiFePO4s. But then with 70C on tap it's only 2 cents per watt of power, which is rather good - i.e it might be the cell to go for if you are drag racing. But I was hoping decent range by using a ~15kWh pack, which makes them just a little out of my price range!

I'm currently leaning towards the PHET PE1150s (their high-power 18650 cell). Not quite as high power as A123s, but still very good (20C+ no worries) and around half the price per watt hour.

And rather impressive cycle life. They sent me a datasheet for the PE1150 which included lab results from cycle tests. 2C charging and *10C* discharging, and the cells lose 20% capacity in ~800 cycles. That's cycling at 10C discharge!! So, if I absolutely thrash heck out of the car for about 5 years, I'd STILL have 80% pack capacity left ;)

(FYI at 2C charge and 4C discharge the cells hit 80% after 1750 cycles. Which is still way above average EV charge/discharge rates, and represents maybe 10 years of use.)

They're looking good.

-Ian

Shaun Williams wrote:
A was kindly given a quote by the A123 Systems folk a couple of months
ago for 1500 cells but in the spirit of a good conspiracy theory, on
which some appear to thrive, I can't possibly tell you their price...
:-)

However, a quick search for "DeWalt 36V" prices at eBay will give you
the correct answer (with the bonus of a 10 "module" battery balancer
thrown in!).

Shaun

www.electric-echo.com

On 7/9/07, Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Do we have any prices on bulk A123 cells?
has anyone ever been able to buy some?

Hi all,

don't think this has been posted before, and his articles do tend to generate
interesting follow up discussion.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/new_car_reviews/article2036260.ece
http://tinyurl.com/yq8udc

"in the real world most of the fun is between 40mph and 80mph, where you put
your foot on it."

Someone get that man a short ride in a certain white Datsun. :-)

Cheers,
Claudio

Hmm, the 55mph figures seem good.  Perhaps you are just running the motor
at a poor point in it's efficiency curve?  33mph in 1st gear sounds like
you are really winding out the motor, perhaps it would be more efficient
in second gear?

> Ok, I have some more numbers to add to my power consumption curve for a
> '74
> bug with 16, 8v batteries @69 lbs. each:
>
> Last night, when I went to Annapolis, I averaged 33 mph @ 65 amps *  135
> volts= 8.8kW (rounded up) 1st gear.
> This morning's commute on the highway I averaged 55 mph @ 90 amps *130
> volts= 11.7kW. 2nd gear.
>
> Like I said, without an E-meter it's kind of hard to be perfectly accurate
> due to all the low-grade hills around here. My inbound commute is
> definitely
> an overall uphill pull but I used a pretty level stretch to get the 11.7kW
> number.
>
> I have good, new tires and the alignment is straight. I'd like to regrease
> my bearings and replace the gearbox oil. I also intend to swap out the
> Subaru seats for light, polymer racing seats as well as all fenders, trunk
> and deck lids for fiberglass replacements. The body panels alone will save
> me almost 200 lbs. Maybe that'll help a little.
>
> Rich A.

> http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_2G_0507

--- Begin Message --- thanks for offering but I'm not ready to order yet. I would like to know the price potential before I decide on a plan but it would be in the 1000cell neighborhood.
are you buying a lot so you can get them for less than the 10$ retail price?
if dewalt retailers can sell packs with electronics and casing for 10$ per cell I'm guessing DeWalt didn't pay 10$ themselves. perhaps below 5$.

also if battery balance allows I think it would be a great help if someone could sell packs of 10x10 or 10x20 cells (36V 23Ah or 46Ah) so others could combine them easy like we do lead acid batteries. is that something you could do?

the more I think about these cells the more it looks like they could sweep away lead acids. if only A123 wouldn't be so obtuse about sales of less than a million cells at a time. Ironically they cater to the hobby RC crowd which is extremely low volume.

Dan

Marcin Ciosek wrote:
Dan,

how many do you need ? Do you need them welded together or you are able to do it by yourself. It can take a bit long but we can order a "few" extra and sell you as complete pack.

Marcin

On Monday 09 July 2007 11:06:48 Dan Frederiksen wrote:
Do we have any prices on bulk A123 cells?
has anyone ever been able to buy some?

Hey Matt,

Good to see you did alot of research ahead of time and have a pretty
thought out plan. You can consider me a newbie also but have been on the
list for a while and in the middle of my conversion, also having learned a
bit from the experienced guys maybe I can help with your questions.

I think you will want DC. The way I look at it is that you can take a DC
motor and hook it directly to batteries and get down the road, in a manner
of speaking. AC systems required high voltage, in the order of 200v and up
is common. Maybe not the rule? Also it requires a VERY expensive
controller. To handle hundereds of volts and amps its a little complicated
and costly. DC systems can also have regen. Not as common and you have to
pay a little more but with a compound (sepex) motor and controller its
possible. As far as batteries, I am using AGM because I want a fast car
with short range and AGM is known for its high current capabities. I would
suggest flooded Pb because they are cheaper, give a long life if
maintained. I am actually interested in your plan to incorperate a
microcontrller. Maybe I would suggest a diffent donor car. Don't use one
thats old and ragged out. You still have tires, wheel bearings, trans, and
interior to think about. Look in the local trading post, and find an older
car thats cheap but still looks good. When I restore a car I pick a sporty
car that I actually really like. You will spend alot of time on it so buy
your dream car and you won't loose interest. I hope this helps a little
and I haven't given you any wrong information.
Paul

A123 prices are indeed way below 10$, even below 5$ but they are really hard
to get.
I was able to get far better contact with people from PHET and their cells are
at the same level of quality (which was confirmed by HydroQuebec - owner of
LiFePO4 patent) as A123.
Anyway, we can provide welded and wired blocks of any number of cells in
parallel (machine made welding) as well as BMS customized for proper
construction. Right now I'm finishing test of 42P43S 18650 LiFP cells on test
bench and right after the test are finished we will put it into our car and
give it to testing company.
In my personal opinion - using big capacity cells or small ones in parallel
gives similar results, but we will see after first 100 or 200 cycles.

Marcin

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Overcharging can cause them to vent. Very, very severe overcharging can overwhelm the vent and can possibly cause them to burst. I have never done either, so I have no direct experience or data. The loss of electrolyte will cause the cell to lose capacity and to go up in resistance. Since we do not plan on ever overcharging cells, we really have no need to know the degree or rate of degradation.

Any amount of overcharge will reduce capacity and increase resistance. That is why you must have a BMS to get more than a few cycles from Li-Ion cells of any type or brand.

It is like buying a gerbil, but no food for it, and then complaining to the pet store when it dies in a week. You have to feed the gerbil or it will die. You have to have a BMS for Li-Ion cells, or they will die too.

        Bill Dube'

At 12:11 AM 7/9/2007, you wrote:
Bill.. Do you have any info on A123s how they die after overchareged repeatedly ? How many cycles are needed with overcharging to reduce the cell capacity and/or increase the internal resistance to unusable levels?

I'm curious.

I feel a bit odd to read these comments since I have thought people would like to get long lifetime out of these cells. Drag racing might be a different thing. But has the safety been always the only thing you've been worried about ?

What I see all the time is people comparing the prices. How much more expencive than SLAs. How much longer life time is needed to compensate the expence... etc.

For what I have witnessed is that the LiFePO4 cells will get crappier on every cycle if overcharged up to say 4,7V/ cell. After few dozen of these cycles you have already some cells which are not usable anymore.

Is this not the same case with A123s ?

If not.. Then those cells are extremely neat things.

-Jukka

Bill Dube kirjoitti:
If you use decent quality cells, you can parallel them with no worries. Crappy cells are going to be more trouble than the money you might save. You will spend a lot of time and money on the BMS for crappy "flame-thrower" type cells because for safety reasons you must protect them over heating, over voltage, and under voltage. If you pay more for the cells, and use high-quality FePo cells, then many of your BMS complications go away. The BMS becomes much, much less critical to because the cells don't burst into flames if they are mistreated in some minor way. You would be smartest to build a small pack (like for a scooter, or small motorcycle) and try out your ideas on a small, inexpensive, scale. Why trash a huge expensive pack to just to learn a lesson (or two)?
        Bill Dube'

At 09:45 AM 7/5/2007, you wrote:
I'm doing something similar, and one suggestion thrown around on this list was to fuse each sell, so that if one failed short, it would just be taken out of the "set" of 23 in parallel. Fuse would be via a properly sized nickel welded tab. But someone pointed out that failure could be via reduced capacity, or as a resister instead of a short. Basically reducing one module of 23 cells. You'd have to monitor this and manually remove the offending cell before the other 22 parallel cells are destroyed. Or monitor each cell and remove the offending cell from the circuit. Another idea thrown around was to monitor cells in series, maybe 4 in series, you'd get out of balance conditions in those 4 cells, but that would reduce the number of cells you'd need to monitor. Well, not sure what is the best method, each one seems like a compromise except monitoring each cell.

                                    - Tony