  1) questions
        by "Michael Mohlere" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: todd pc25lv dc-dc converter specs
        by Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: Passive (Parallel/Serial) Balancing
        by "Mick Abraham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: conversion question
  5) RE: conversion question
  6) Re: Ideal EV configuration for my situation?
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Efficiency of lead acid batteries
  8) Re: conversion question
        by "joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: questions
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) PM Motor Short Blown Controller?
        by Mark Hastings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Another, fairer comparison
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Bringing a TEVan back to life
        by Steve Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Battery Boxes and Heating
        by "Tehben Dean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Another, fairer comparison
        by Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Bringing a TEVan back to life
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Another, fairer comparison
        by Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Another, fairer comparison
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Another, fairer comparison
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Another, fairer comparison
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Balancing NiCad batteries?
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Efficiency of lead acid batteries
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: AGM vs Gel
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Efficiency of lead acid batteries
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Ideal EV configuration for my situation?
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Passive (Parallel/Serial) Balancing
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) RE: conversion  question
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Ideal EV configuration for my situation?
        by "Matthew Chan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- Sorry about the last message - seems windows live hotmail doesn't support plain text emails (nice)...

Does anyone know if a todd pc25lv dc-dc converter can be used up to 144 volts, or is 120 the limit?

Also, does running an electric motor (prestolite, ADC, etc.) used in EVs at a higher pack voltage
make it more "powerful" as well as extend the range?

CAN you run a prestolite (the 4002) at 144 volts? Will that kill or shorten the life of the motor?

Do they still make Prestolite motors? Can they be rebuilt (new brushes, i assume)?

Thx, Mike

http://liveearth.msn.com

On Jul 11, 2007, at 3:36 AM, Michael Mohlere wrote:

Anyone know if a todd pc25lv can be used on a 144 volt pack? thx, mike

There are not many of those out there. Later units where turned down into PC20LV models. What pisses them off the most is a low input voltage. There is one in the Rabbit Pickup I built (Don's still I believe.)

The absolute maximum voltage one of these should ever see is 200 volts DC. It would be better if you can keep it under 190 volts. You should be fine with a 144 volt pack provided the charging voltage does not exceed that. (or if it ever even might the Todd has been disconnected first)

Paul "neon" Gooch

Jim Davis wrote:

"I have a string of 24 (12v, gel Size 31, 100ahC/20) which is massively
out-of-balance (with individual OCV measurements ranging from 11.0 to
12.8). Individual charging with my single ~10a 12v charger is a slow
process. I don't want to put the string on my 10kw 330v charger until my
string is balanced. I am in no hurry (I have other things to work on), so
I was wondering...Can I balance this string passively, over time?Can I leave
the series connectors in place, disconnect the pack, and add parallel
connectors to make one huge 12v amp-bucket? Would this pack then naturally
balance itself over time?"

Mick says: Alan Brinkman's reply is correct. You would first need to
disconnect all of the series cables then connect the batteries all in
parallel--otherwise you'll see sparks and other pyrotechnics. Once connected
in parallel, the voltage for each monobloc would converge with that of the
others. Voltage convergence occurs faster than state of charge convergence,
however, so you'd want to take some readings of the amperage transfer that's
going on (I suggest using a clamp around DC ammeter for this) and leave the
monoblocs in parallel until the amperage transfer goes very small.

Mick says: Once those batteries are disconnected from parallel and placed
back in series, however, the "underachievers" would in short order begin
slumping in voltage relative to the overachievers. If one could quickly
connect all the batteries in parallel then back in series, then back in
parallel--that would theoretically maintain equalization round the clock,
but this is of course impractical and you need the batteries to be connected
in series all the time in order to use them.

Mick says: The BattEQ(TM) product that I distribute achieves 24/7
equalization without the need to ever break the series string of batteries.
By switching a bank of capacitors quickly from monobloc to monobloc, BattEQ
acts like an electrical flywheel, soaking up excess energy from the
overachievers and then dumping that energy into the underachievers. A batch
of balancers for the Jim Davis battery string described above would retail
for about $1,600. Contact me off list if you'd like to receive a discounted
price quote including delivery to your specified zip code.

Other end users, bona fide retailers, and OEMs may also contact me to
discuss a BattEQ solution for your needs. For more information, visit my
BattEQ documents on the Top Floor of my website. I extend a 30 day return
privilege on all of my BattEQ quotes, and there have been no returns from my
clients so far. That's because these gizmos work and they do what we say.

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com

I did NOT say the Evette doesn't maneuver well at high speeds, I said it
only has the "advantage" at low speeds.  Plenty of four wheeled vehicle
handle well at high speeds, have you never heard the term "Corners like
it's on rails"?

Even if it is super easy to park, people have been managing to park four
wheeled cars for over a century now, so it's not a big advantage.  Parking
lots are designed for four wheeled vehicles.  People even manage to
parallel park them.

> Hi Peter,
>
> In your dreans.  The EVette  not only maneuvers  at low speeds, it turns
> very well at higher speeds as well. A reporter from the Palm Beach Post
> took a ride in it and wrote " Gut wrenching turns ".Its not a little
> easier to park, its a lot easier to park. If a conversion has 2400lbs of
> batteries it most likely has at least 3000lbs of car,5400lbs total that
> sounds more like a tank!
>
> Tom Sines                              T

Your insistance that the Evette is the perfect EV is what is bringing out
the nay sayers.
The Evette is cool, but it's not perfect.
The few advantages it has simply don't make that much difference in
practical terms and the disadvantages are pretty glaring.

> Hi Michael,
>
> I feel like  Jesus , I bring good news, and you try to knock me off,
> although I know some of you get it. See ya.
>
> Tom Sines

I've read mostly about AC systems, but should I be looking for high voltage and low Ah or vice versa?

The only AC systems available are high voltage; so you pretty much have
to use about 300v worth of batteries to use one.

DC systems are available in any voltage. Anything from 72v to 300v is
possible.

To set the record straight, minimum DC input voltage for AC systems
I know about is:

Siemens - 110 VDC
EVI-200 - 100 VDC
TIM400/600 - 80 VDC.
BRUSA 51x/52x ones - 120 VDC

The drives sure will function at these input voltages, just
performance and efficiency will be very poor, much worse than
at >300 VDC in (or at least >240VDC or so).

So the statement that "you pretty much have to use about 300V worth
of batteries) is not accurate.

BTW, Siemens use to make Simovert 96VDC nominal 6SV-1 inverters
(about 60...160VDC range) for VW City STROMer OEM EVs:
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/160

I don't offer these because these days no one wants 22kW limited inverter, but can get them if one interested.

'91 ACRX - something different

Well I'm working from memory here, so perhaps I am wrong, but even it if
is 1.15 that works out to 87% efficient which is a long way from 71%.

> On 7/11/07, Peter VanDerWal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > Coulombic efficiency (Ah in to Ah out) for some different battery
>> types;
>> >
>> > Lead acid (AGM) up to 90%
>> > Lithium (Thundersky) 100%
>> > NiCad 71%
>> > NiMh 66%
>> >

>> Where did you come up with these figures?
>> >From what I've read, the Coulombic efficiency of Saft NiCads is almost
>> exactly 90%.  In fact that is how Saft specifies charging them, you put
>> back in exactly 110% of what you took out.
>
> Which Saft NiCads are you talking about?
> The STM5-100 most commonly used in EVs have a charge coefficient of
> 1.15.  These are special "low maintenance" monoblocks, so I would
> expect more basic batteries such as the aircraft starter type (BB600?)
> to be worse from that point of view.

--- Begin Message --- I really don't think you know what you are talking about, but I won't argue with you about it as that is pointless!

Joseph H. Strubhar

Web: www.gremcoinc.com

We could argue this all day, but the real issue is, you will never get as many batteries in a conversion as the Evette,and a 4 wheel car can`t come close to the maneuverability of the Evette. Agree or disagree.

Tom Sines

I disagree. I can push my car easily with one hand of a level
street, I don`t think you can do that with a standard car.

I just pushed my '81 300SD with one hand earlier today - certainly not a very *quantitative* measurement of what it takes to move an old luxury diesel. You probably haven't read the list before or you'd have remembered numerous posts on this - the most thorough converters minimize rolling resistance to the point
of taking a "lady's gloved finger" to move a lead sled!

PeoplePC Online
A better way to Internet
http://www.peoplepc.com

> Does anyone know if a todd pc25lv dc-dc converter
> can be used up to 144
> volts, or is 120 the limit?
No clue, but DCP (used to) and Belktronix (new entry
to the market) also make _fine_ DCDCs that fxn at this
voltage.

> Also, does running an electric motor (prestolite,
> ADC, etc.) used in EVs at
> a higher pack voltage
> make it more "powerful" as well as extend the range?
Running at higher voltages makes a motor spin faster.
Higher voltages reduce the amps you draw.  Thus, one
could look at it as extending the range, I suppose,
but it's more a function of the batteries, not
anything the motor is doing per se.

> CAN you run a prestolite (the 4002) at 144 volts?
> Will that kill or shorten
> the life of the motor?

Dunno.'  Sorry.

> Do they still make Prestolite motors? Can they be
> rebuilt (new brushes, i
> assume)?

My understanding is that the Prestolites eventually
became? ADC motors, or at least ADC is patterned off
of them, but I can't remember where I heard that.
Many people still use them, so I'm assuming that
brushes, other replacement parts still exist.
peace,

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at:
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

 for the edge of your seat?
http://tv.yahoo.com/

Short version. My lawnbott melted the wires on the
motor to the frame and internally in the top of the
motor.  They were both touching eachother at multiple
points. The magnets look like they have bubbles and it
smells like charcoal and everythign in the motor is
black. The motor 3100 rpms or so 24 volts 80 watts.
They sent me a new motor and I hooked it up. It still
shuts down when it gets to the phase that says
"starting blade". Could the wires that shorted out
eaten the controller? The fuses are fine and nothing
is obviously melted/burnt/scorched/burst on the
silicon. The whole thing probably goes back friday but
just trying to see what the damage might be.

My experiences thus far.
I just got a lawnbott evolution about 2 1/2 weeks ago.
Why?
-Heart Condition
-Texas Heat
-Didnt' want to buy a gas tractor
-Failed conversion to electric of previous rider
-Even if I did do gas I'd rather be riding my bike or
anything but mowing.

First I mowed an area and set it loose with a
perimiter wire made up of 60 ft of speaker wire. It
got stuck a few times because of indentations in my
yard but did well enough. I shut it down when it got
about 95% of it mowed.

A few days later used about 750 ft of wire to setup
another area. It got stuck a number of times and gave
a "too high grass" error even though the grass wasn't
higher then the 4" limit.

After trimming the grass more I let it loose again and
it just died after probably 30 to 45 minutes. Found it
blew the 20 amp fuse during that time noted the blade
motor had missing insulation at a corner and covered
it. Had contacted the reseller and they thought it
might still have a 15 and suggested upgraded to the 20
and I should be set.

Next day ran it some more and left it mowing for about
30 minutes. It just died. Didn't blow the fuse and it
had that nice charcoal smell. When trying to restart
it backs out, synchs to the perimeter wire, says
"starting blade" and boom dead.

Got sent a new mower blade fedex and installed it.
Same problem. So around 2 hours of use and I'm outta
luck. So for the past couple weeks I pay some guy $140
a week to mow the lawn. Not a long term solution
hopefully I just got a bad bott, motor or did
something stupid and it'll get fixed because paying
someone would cost me 3k or so a year.

But, for a really fairer comparison, you need to determine how many wh of
coal or oil or gas was burned to create the electricity that ended up as
213 wh at your car's wheels.

Bill Dennis

If you want a truly fair comparison you also need to account for how
much energy was spent pumping oil out of the ground, refining it,
transporting it, storing it, and finally pumping it into your prius.

--
www.electric-lemon.com

Tonight I was approached by a local EV club member.
He has 2 TEVans (93-94 ?) that have been sitting for
about 5 years.  He bought them at an auction several
years ago.  They have the Edison batteries in them.  I
hear they are quite valuable.  He asked me to ask
around to find out the best way to get at least one of
them up and running assuming it ran fine 5 years ago,
and has simply been sitting for 5 years.  I assume the
batteries are completely flat, but I have also heard
that all you have to do is cycle them a few times
(with what algorithm though, how many times) to get
them going.

What is one of these worth in running vs non-running
condition?  Maybe he will just sell as-is ...

Thanks,

Steve

Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the
tools to get online.

Be aware that this R value is marketing bullshit.

When you dig into the fine print, you will find that this R 14.5 is the
value of this foil-foam insulation *plus* the normal 4" air space found
inside a typical ceiling. The air provides almost all the insulation;
their cheap foam and bubble pack does almost nothing.

:) I kinda gathered that... I should have found the fine print before posting.

Anyway I guess I am trying to find out either what R-value is
recommended or what foam people choose to use?? Here where I live in
the south of Alaska it rarely gets below 0ºF. Winter temps average
between 17ºF and 27ºF... no I'm not kidding :P
I have to decide what to use before I can start mocking up by batt
boxes so I get the dimensions right.

Thanks everyone,
--
Tehben
'90 Toyota 4x4 Pickup

Peter, I didn't say "fairest", just "fairer" :)
Yes, the next step would be to then add the energy it took to get the oil out of the ground, shipped the refinery, refined and transported to the gas station. For electricity, as an example, add the energy to get the coal out of the ground and transported to the power plant. Then you'd have true well-to-wheels comparison, for efficiency at least. Pollution is another calculation. There are, in the archives, references to a few of these studies.

Bill Dennis

Peter Gabrielsson wrote:
But, for a really fairer comparison, you need to determine how many wh of
coal or oil or gas was burned to create the electricity that ended up as
213 wh at your car's wheels.

Bill Dennis

If you want a truly fair comparison you also need to account for how
much energy was spent pumping oil out of the ground, refining it,
transporting it, storing it, and finally pumping it into your prius.

I have no idea what the price would be becuase their is two ways to
look at it. It's just a bunch of old electronics and an electric motor
with a set of dead batteries. Or someone else may see it as a token
from the days when production EVs roamed California. However, if it is
in running condition it is almost certain that it'll be worth quite a
bit.Probably 40k or something.

On 7/11/07, Steve Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]

--- Begin Message --- In my previous post, I forgot to add, getting the electricity over the transmission lines to your home, plus the efficiency of your charger, plus probably a couple other steps.

And for truly depressing efficiency numbers, consider how much of that energy actually ends up moving you, a single passenger in the vehicle. Go to Uve's Calculator and see how many watthours/mile it calculates for your empty car. Then add your weight, perhaps 200 pounds, and do the calculation again. You'll come up with a percentage difference. Multiply that by the well-to-wheels efficiency you came up with, let's say 16%, and you find that you end up using 1% or less of the original energy contents of the fueld to move yourself.

Bill Dennis

Peter Gabrielsson wrote:
But, for a really fairer comparison, you need to determine how many wh of
coal or oil or gas was burned to create the electricity that ended up as
213 wh at your car's wheels.

Bill Dennis

If you want a truly fair comparison you also need to account for how
much energy was spent pumping oil out of the ground, refining it,
transporting it, storing it, and finally pumping it into your prius.

Toyota says what they claim to be the efficiency of gasoline production:

http://www.toyota.com/html/hybridsynergyview/2005/fall/hybridorhydrogen.html

According to them it's 79% efficient.

And just for humour, they put the efficiency of their car to be 38%
while Honda claims an efficiency of 60% !!! I guess Honda found a
secret potion. Anyhow, it still doesn't amount to the vehicel
efficiency of an electric car! (around 75%)

Peter Gabrielsson wrote:
>> But, for a really fairer comparison, you need to determine how many
>> wh of
>> coal or oil or gas was burned to create the electricity that ended up as
>> 213 wh at your car's wheels.
>>
>> Bill Dennis
>
> If you want a truly fair comparison you also need to account for how
> much energy was spent pumping oil out of the ground, refining it,
> transporting it, storing it, and finally pumping it into your prius.

Which shows what a good conversion a prius would make!

602 wh/mile with a ~30% eff drive train(being generous) is 180wh/mile at
the road.
Working backwards thru a hypothetical EV drive train of 85% eff yields
211Wh/mile.

Oh, i didn't see this response. yes what he said...except...

"But, for a really fairer comparison, you need to determine how many wh of
coal or oil or gas was burned to create the electricity that ended up as
213 wh at your car's wheels."

Unless you have sufficient solar or hydro. or ...

To be really fair I guess we have to consider the largest single user of
electricity in california are the refineries.

The Department of energy determined and posted that it takes ~12kwh to
refine a gallon of gas.

Concur.

Keep them cool.
Overcharge them plenty.
No regulators needed.
Keep them full of water.
Don't break the cases.

You should be fine for years.

Joe Smalley
Rural Kitsap County WA
Former owner of 48 Volt Fiesta
NEDRA 48 volt street conversion record holder