  1) Re: Let My People Convert! - The A123 Challenge
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Toyota Plug in Prius Video
        by "Ian Page-Echols" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Let My People Convert! - The A123 Challenge
        by Marc Geller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Let My People Convert! - The A123 Challenge
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Let My People Convert! - The A123 Challenge
        by "Joe Plumer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: What is the typical amperage draw of the field for a sepex motor?
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: What is the typical amperage draw of the field for a sepex motor?
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Let My People Convert! - The A123 Challenge
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: DIY Electric Car Forums
        by "Dave Davidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: What is the typical amperage draw of the field for a sepex motor?
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Fun with trees and   Re: Sebring EV info needed
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: What is the typical amperage draw of the field for a sepex motor?
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: DIY Electric Car Forums
        by Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Porsche to make hybrids
        by "Richard Acuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Let My People Convert! - The A123 Challenge
        by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jukka_J=E4rvinen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Indicator lamps for contactor operation
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: DIY Electric Car Forums
 18) Re: Upgrading NEV as alternative to ICE conversion
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: [EV] Re: FourthGen ''PB6' Pot Box
        by Eduardo Kaftanski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: DIY Electric Car Forums
 21) Re: Hanging with Victor...EVision replaces all gauges in White Zombie
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Let My People Convert! - The A123 Challenge
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Let My People Convert! - The A123 Challenge
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Let My People Convert! - The A123 Challenge
        by Marcin Ciosek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Hanging with Victor...EVision replaces all gauges in White Zombie
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Thanks Dan. You've properly crystallized my whole position on this thing.

:)

--T

On 7/26/07, Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Marc, I don't think it must be tantalizing to the automakers since iirc
they are free of the ZEV mandate so they have nothing to live up to.

Further, if Les Goldman wanted some action he could start selling their
cells to EV converters at the same price they sell them for to DeWalt
instead of punishing us by a factor 2 or 3. he might even offer those
packs we saw Wayland use if that's a semi stock product.

put up a webshop with their products instead of hiding behind retarded
old b2b practices and let the grass roots people and the speed freaks
spread fear into the coal black hearts of big auto.

Dan

Anyone have a guestimate based on their use of either the current
Prius, or their battery enhanced Prii to guess what the gas mileage
might change to with even this tiny bump in battery?

Ian

On 7/25/07, Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
If I remember correctly, they're just using two strings of the 6.5Ah
Panasonic prismatic NiMH batteries - more or less two of the existing
Prius battery packs in parallel. (So not violating any Cobasys patent
licensing.)

The stated 13km range is pretty puny though, I don't think plugin
hybrids will gain traction (unintentional pun) until the electric
range is more like 50kms. Which pretty much means lithium batteries.
(It might be possible with lead, but with all the ICE weight in there
as well it'd get way too heavy.)

-Ian

On 26/07/2007, at 12:40 PM, Joseph T. wrote:

> I can't read your post, but I saw the video. If you look closely
> you'll see an E-Com!
>
> But I have to admit, is Toyota trying to have people the Prius's
> design. I mean, the way it already is, it doesn't look so great. Did
> they really need to add the frilly flowers and birds?
>
> Toyot says that they're not using lithium batteries but just a bigger
> NiMH pack, Maybe the whole patent issue with Cosaby and Panasonic is
> over or the patent has expired?
>
> On 7/25/07, Tom Gocze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>> *         ---REMAINDER OF MESSAGE TRUNCATED---            *
>> *     This post contains a forbidden message format       *
>> *  (such as an attached file, a v-card, HTML formatting)  *
>> *       Lists at  sjsu.edu only accept PLAIN TEXT         *
>> * If your postings display this message your mail program *
>> * is not set to send PLAIN TEXT ONLY and needs adjusting  *
>> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>>
>> ----

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I'm all for grass roots folks getting access to the best at reasonable prices.

But I'm really interested in the mass market moving to grid power for cars, and I take a little hope where I can find it.

A123 batteries into hybrids already on the road installed by qualified third party installers could jumpstart that process.

On Jul 26, 2007, at 12:32 PM, Dan Frederiksen wrote:

Marc, I don't think it must be tantalizing to the automakers since iirc they are free of the ZEV mandate so they have nothing to live up to.

Further, if Les Goldman wanted some action he could start selling their cells to EV converters at the same price they sell them for to DeWalt instead of punishing us by a factor 2 or 3. he might even offer those packs we saw Wayland use if that's a semi stock product.

put up a webshop with their products instead of hiding behind retarded old b2b practices and let the grass roots people and the speed freaks spread fear into the coal black hearts of big auto.

Dan

Marc Geller wrote:
"Les Goldman wants you to convert (your hybrid.) Easy as 123. So he proposed at the California Air Resources Board ZEV workshop on Tuesday...."

See the rest at http://www.plugsandcars.blogspot.com

http://www.hybrids-plus.com/

Marc Geller wrote:

"Les Goldman wants you to convert (your hybrid.) Easy as 123. So he proposed at the California Air Resources Board ZEV workshop on Tuesday...."

See the rest at http://www.plugsandcars.blogspot.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I'm sure that you are all aware that A123 and Hymotion have packs in testing for the Prius. They are working on OEM for these packs to convert them through Toyota to PHEV. They are hoping for approval next year. I'd be more than happy to convert my hybrid to plug in as soon as the packs are available. At least with that pack it would give a much better range (30 miles) than
adding another NiMH pack.

I just hope that they also include a EV Mode button along with that conversion.

http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=hmtextlinkjuly07

--- Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jeff Major wrote:
> > 6.8 Ohms is pretty low for a true shunt motor.
> Lee's
> > got a pretty good take on it... Good news is that
> you'll
> > be able to over excite for accel torque.
> >
> > If you can come up with a variable power supply
> for
> > the field, 100 V, 15A, or at least 50 V, 8A, you
> could
> > run some bench tests to figure out how to control
> the
> > field.  If you can drive the armature of the beast
> at
> > a constant RPM, you can take a no load
> magnetization
> > curve.  That would be helpful when you design your
> > control and give you a real good idea of safe
> field
> > current.
>
> One way to figure out the safe field current is to
> measure its cold
> resistance, calculate its hot resistance for (say) a
> 40 deg.C rise
> (typical for a motor winding), and then
> experimentally find out how much
> field voltage it takes to cause this resistance
> rise.
>
> The temperature coefficient of copper is very
> predictable, so this test
> method is quite an accurate way to measure a
> winding's temperature.
>
> Lee

Yea, Lee,

IIRC, 37 percent increase in resistance was 120 degree
C rise.  This is what could be used on a class H
motor.  I didn't see Zeke list that and it should have
been on the name plate.  Also, he should have the
appropriate ventilation during the test.

A few years ago, I came across a smaller sepex GE
motor with a private brand nameplate, so I figured I
was on my own to figure out how to control it.  Also
had a freebie Curtis sepex with a custom software.  I
was able to adjust field map parameters, but needed
motor info.  So I ran a no load magnetization curve
and was able to tell when it saturated and how far
down to field weaken it.  Very helpful.  I think Zeke
will need this type of info if he is going to do his
own control.  So my comment about safe field current
was primarily with regard to saturation.  If one
limits field current to avoid saturation (except on
accels and overloads), chances are it will be o.k.
thermally.  But it doesn't hurt to check and
resistance is an easy way to do that.

Jeff

sorry.

It says

CL.F  DUTY-1 HR 115c

On 7/26/07, Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

--- Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jeff Major wrote:
> > 6.8 Ohms is pretty low for a true shunt motor.
> Lee's
> > got a pretty good take on it... Good news is that
> you'll
> > be able to over excite for accel torque.
> >
> > If you can come up with a variable power supply
> for
> > the field, 100 V, 15A, or at least 50 V, 8A, you
> could
> > run some bench tests to figure out how to control
> the
> > field.  If you can drive the armature of the beast
> at
> > a constant RPM, you can take a no load
> magnetization
> > curve.  That would be helpful when you design your
> > control and give you a real good idea of safe
> field
> > current.
>
> One way to figure out the safe field current is to
> measure its cold
> resistance, calculate its hot resistance for (say) a
> 40 deg.C rise
> (typical for a motor winding), and then
> experimentally find out how much
> field voltage it takes to cause this resistance
> rise.
>
> The temperature coefficient of copper is very
> predictable, so this test
> method is quite an accurate way to measure a
> winding's temperature.
>
> Lee

Yea, Lee,

IIRC, 37 percent increase in resistance was 120 degree
C rise.  This is what could be used on a class H
motor.  I didn't see Zeke list that and it should have
been on the name plate.  Also, he should have the
appropriate ventilation during the test.

A few years ago, I came across a smaller sepex GE
motor with a private brand nameplate, so I figured I
was on my own to figure out how to control it.  Also
had a freebie Curtis sepex with a custom software.  I
was able to adjust field map parameters, but needed
motor info.  So I ran a no load magnetization curve
and was able to tell when it saturated and how far
down to field weaken it.  Very helpful.  I think Zeke
will need this type of info if he is going to do his
own control.  So my comment about safe field current
was primarily with regard to saturation.  If one
limits field current to avoid saturation (except on
accels and overloads), chances are it will be o.k.
thermally.  But it doesn't hurt to check and
resistance is an easy way to do that.

Jeff

I don't think anyone here is questioning that A123 is doing good things...

The question is.. are they doing the most they CAN do?

My answer is a definitive no. The trickle of batteries out to
enthusiasts would be small, and there is no reason A123 couldn't offer
them for sale in naked, single cell form at a low price. If they are
truly selling millions upon millions of batteries to DeWalt, they
could certainly get another few 100,000 in there and sell limited
quantities (say, up to 50kWH) of batteries to single consumers for the
express purpose of market building and generation of goodwill.

I know the technical business 101 reasons of course. My contention is
that market dilution doesn't apply because this is an emerging market,
and is so starved for product you could shovel them out the door with
snow shovels and you wouldn't even touch demand. Also you don't
compromise your business relationship with DeWalt since you've choked
your extra downline to strictly retail customers, and you've not
provided a BMS.

Either they have a deal with Chevron not to do this, or they actually
think that this is the proper way to distribute the batteries. I think
they need to have more espresso and read up. ;)

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I disagree. I belong to a group that uses the web based message system and is is a pain in the @$$ to use. Topics come up in the order they were created, and there are currently 223 of them! I find myself constantly having to look, page forward, backward, wait, wait, wait (and I have cable internet). I get so frustrated that I seldom look at it anymore, and have hundreds of messages I haven't seen, many just saying "Me too", but they just show up as new messages in that topic, so I have to load the entire thread just to check them. I much prefer this email based system. I can look at my email subjects and delete the subjects I'm no longer interested in, and if an email is a "me too", I can quickly delete it. Much easier to use. If someone shuffles these messages into a web based system by topics, more power to them, but I'll never use it. I much prefer the emali based KISS system.

Dave

From: Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: DIY Electric Car Forums
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 16:16:56 +0200

right on
if the leadership here said we're moving it would happen over night without any problems and they would no doubt like it a few are just afraid of change, even for the better. ironically much the same mentality that is the cause of the EV delay. and then the bulk here are afraid to voice an opinion either way. as if independent thought was a fatal disease.

this is not a case of having two fora, it's an upgrade.

Dan

Kip C. Anderson wrote:
As the former operator of a mailing list, all it took from me to transition it's users to a web based forum was putting it up and ecnouraging people to use it. Within weeks, list traffic dropped from 30-40 messages per day to 1-2 messages per day. That list is still in existance 7 years later, but I have not seen a single message go through it in the last 3. The php based forum that i started (and no longer manage) continues to go on strong today with nearly 3500 registered users. That should tell you something about what most people really prefer.

- Kip

----- Original Message ----- From: "BrownGassyTurd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "G DONALDSON  LUCAS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Sebring EV info needed
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 16:21:11 -0700

>Jerry,
>
>If you haven't found the Citicar info you need let me know.
> I have some of  the manuals and could look for the pages
>you want.  Nu-Kar has an excellent  manual which includes
>all of the C-Car models, costs about $40, might be  worth
>getting if you will be doing a lot of work on these
>vehicles.

     Hopefully I can find it on the Citicar list. Which
would be easier if my computer hadn't died!!
     I'll pass the Nu-Kar info to the owner. Thanks David
and Mike too for their info.

     Why you all haven't heard from me much is last week a
90' oak tree fell on my diesel Rabbit, an A-Liner camper, my
50 mph GC transaxle trike and the travel trailer I was in at
the time. So now I'm carless and computerless!!
     Luckily the Freedom EV was spared.
     Someday this yr I'll be coming thru Las Vegas and will
see if I can get your Citi-cars going Gail.
     Only have the Library computers so not much time after
reading the e mails before my hr is up.
     Anyone wanting to get ahold of me my number is
813-671-3059.
                      Thanks All,
                                Jerry Dycus

>Gail
>
>P.S.  When you become a C-Car expert please consider
>opening a branch office  in Las Vegas.  My last great
>maintenance guru had too much else to do and I  think got
>sick of trying to keep the C-Cars functional.

155 degree C, as in 312 degrees F?  That seems awfully hot for a motor
to me.  I guess it's good, but I thought you were normally supposed to
keep them below 100C or so...

On 7/26/07, Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Zeke,

Class F is for 155 degree C max.  Most often used is
an allowable 115 deg C rise (over a 40 deg C ambient).

Jeff

--- Zeke Yewdall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> sorry.
>
> It says
>
> CL.F  DUTY-1 HR 115c

http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/

Ouch Lee, I was reading through your list and immediately my mind started thinking of how to automate all the things you were listing off, and then you totally shot me down... Your probably right though, it would be very difficult to come up with an itelligent enough system to put it all together and certainly no one would take on the task of doing all that work manually.

To my credit however, I was not thinking of using someone else's software to do the job :-)

I'm writing the software to do much of this for the Electric Motorcylce Listserv but it's a part time thing so it's going slowly.

The Electric Motorcycle Portal
http://www.electricmotorcycles.net/

Electric Motorcycle Listserv
http://www.electricmotorcycles.net/listserv

Pfftt...my '74 Bug cruises at 70 mph.

Cost: $5250.00

Rich A.

To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Porsche to make hybrids
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 08:33:20 -0400

Cruise at 70mph on the electric engine?
Wow.
Starts at $44,000? More than I can afford, but far less than I would have
expected.

I can't wait to hear what the plug-in-modders do to this thing!

Ed Cooley

Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one place! http://maps.live.com/?wip=69&FORM=MGAC01
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Guys, Guys.. A123 sells Cobal Phosphate cells to DeWalt. They have not yet brought out the Iron Phosphate cells. At least so I have heard from the little birds :) . . . .

Are the cells on the KillaCycle (Bill?) also Cobalt Phosphate cells ? (You can't see it from the cell voltage. Need to analyze the insides or ask from the factory) I think we had a talk about this earlier. I was wondering the specific energy amount then...

Are you REALLY suggesting that A123 should do the same screw ups as some Chinese companies have ? Selling plain cells to "grass root activists" is insane.

It is possible to get even the most safest cells on the earth on fire. You just need to giive them to stupid enough person and that's it.

I hope A123 can produce vehicle packs to all hobbyists since there is a real demand.

Reason A123 still has good fame is that they are not giving the cells out to wrong persons.

But I hope there will be soon some open source BMS out there that you can do easily with discrete components..... And buy any cells from anywhere.....

-Jukka

Timothy Balcer kirjoitti:
[...]

Frank,

Alternatively, why not simply power an LED from the 12V coil signal? This will only tell you when the coil is energized, not whether the contactor is in a particular condition (think welded contacts), nor if there is or isn't pack voltage present.

Also, see Lee's comments.

Frank John wrote:
Thanks for everyones replies.

Eric, you've presented an interesting quandary.  I wonder if appropriate use of
a diode would fix this?  If so, any advice on sizing?  Does it matter at 120
VDC?

Frank

me.  Lawrence rhodes...