  1) Re: article: Sonex unveils electric-powered sport plane
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Old eceltric sub featured on scince channel
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) ETA on Electro Auto adapters
        by "Brian Pikkula" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: ETA on Electro Auto adapters
        by "Tehben Dean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: ETA on Electro Auto adapters
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Hanging with Victor...EVision replaces all gauges in White Zombie
        by "Tehben Dean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Bridgestone Ecopia EP-03 Tires
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Help!  Zilla problems
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Bridgestone Ecopia EP-03 Tires
        by Brian Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: diode across contactors
        by "T. Marshall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: ZILLA HEPI SIGNAL GROUND
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Speed controller project
        by Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Let My People Convert! - The A123 Challenge
        by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jukka_J=E4rvinen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Let My People Convert! - The A123 Challenge
        by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jukka_J=E4rvinen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: ZILLA HEPI SIGNAL GROUND
        by Mark Dutko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Bridgestone Ecopia EP-03 Tires
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Help! Zilla problems
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Shock Jocks
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Speed controller project
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 20) Re: interesting electric bike design
        by James Drysdale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Heater Relay Dropout Issue
        by Mark Dutko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: What is the typical amperage draw of the field for a sepex motor?
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) A123 chemistry
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Bridgestone Ecopia EP-03 Tires
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) RE: Heater Relay Dropout Issue
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Heater Relay Dropout Issue
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
I saw that to.
Really interesting that all the batteries fit in the engine compartment.
Has 1 hr flight time or 16 minutes if in all out acrobatic mode.
Interesting that an electirc motor would NOT loose power at altitude like a gas motor. Exception might be cold batteries but the engine intself would retain full power at any altitude.

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 7:42 pm, Paul Wujek wrote:
Now, for a completely different vehicle:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/26/sonex-unveils-electric-powered-sport-plane/

--
Paul Wujek   ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

www.GlobalBoiling.com for daily images about hurricanes, globalwarming and the melting poles.

www.ElectricQuakes.com daily solar and earthquake images.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- On the very day man first landed on the moon an exceptional one of a kind electric sub (designed by the designer of the deepest diving vehicle the trieste) set out on a 30 day mission with occupants sealed inside drifting with the gulf stream. It was an experement by nasa in isolated living and underwater exploration. The kicker - it was designed for depths of 2000 ft ( military subs of the time usually did only 1000ft) AND all the lead acid battteries were carried in EXTERNAL racks outside the pressure compartment. All leads and batteires survived through the whole 30 days after numerous mends were made to pin hole leaks in the coating neoprene which let the current leak into the surrounding SALTWATER.

Think about that nest time you think you can't water proof your batteries :-) .

900 lbs per sq inch at 200ft. THAT's a battery!

The name of the sub was the Ben Franklin (because he first studied the gulf stream.)

www.GlobalBoiling.com for daily images about hurricanes, globalwarming and the melting poles.

www.ElectricQuakes.com daily solar and earthquake images.

I asked Electro Auto several times before I ordered and once after I
ordered what the lead time was for their adapters.  No answer from
them.

What should I expect for an ETA?  I ordered my adapter about a month ago.

--
Brian in TX
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/960

I was looking into getting one from them (which turned out not to be
practical in my situation) and *I think* they estimated 12 weeks but I
can't find the email. This was last month.

--
Tehben
'90 Toyota 4x4 Pickup

On Jul 26, 2007, at 10:58 PM, Brian Pikkula wrote:

I asked Electro Auto several times before I ordered and once after I
ordered what the lead time was for their adapters.  No answer from
them.

What should I expect for an ETA? I ordered my adapter about a month ago.

I ordered my adapter in early November of 2003. They quoted me a 2-3 week delivery time. I received it in late January.

My conversion journal is online at <http://www.gdunge.com/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi/ghia/index.html> if you want the whole story.

Bottom line: I love the adapter and think it's worth the wait. I wasn't in a hurry (the car's STILL not finished) so the delay wasn't a big deal for me. And remember this was nearly four years ago.

--
Brian in TX
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/960
http://www.evdub.blogspot.com/
It may seem like I am doing nothing, but on a cellular level I'm
really quite busy.

--
Doug Weathers
Las Cruces, NM, USA
<http://www.gdunge.com/>

On 7/26/07, Joseph T. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It's like the iphone, but for EVs.

sweet :D

Did they store the tires outside in the sun?
How old would you think that a tire gets when it has a
80,000 mile warranty and the owners does close to average
driving and makes 10,000 miles a year?
And what about someone that has this same set on a second
car and drives it half as much?

As long as the car is garaged or normally stored out of
the sun, tires can live a long time.
I have a spare tire for my truck that has always been
stored inside - it has a little dry cracks in the rubber
but does look perfect otherwise - I believe it is genuine
OEM Tigerpaw that came with the US Electricar S10 in 1994.

I can see the tire chain protecting their good name by not
selling tires over a certain date, because you want to give
them a certain life warranty AFTER putting them on.
But they are not necessarily dangerous if they are a few
years old, then there would be many cars in acute danger
right now....

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: +1 408 542 5225    VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax: +1 408 731 3675    eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Second Life: www.secondlife.com/?u=3b42cb3f4ae249319edb487991c30acb

From: Brian Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
CC: "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 23:45:16 -0700

True, old tires are very dangerous. Even if they don't blow out, they get hard and have poor traction. I am ashamed to admit that I actually caused an accident this way. I have an old set of tires on my Corvair truck too. They don't have many miles on them, but they're about 10 years old. One of them blew out last week while the truck was parked.

I have been looking at these tires for my EV project.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE92&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=665SR4RE92&fromCompare1=yes&place=0

Sorry for the long link. I have been looking at these because they are as narrow and as low profile as I can find for a 14" tire.

Brian

Brian - do you know the rolling resistance factor for RE92's ? I don't think I've ever seen them in a chart of low rolling resistance tires.

If you look at the GreenSeal paper, two of the lowest tires ( the Bridgestone B381's and the Sumitomo HTR 200's are available in stock at TireRack in 14 inch sizes - although not as narrow as the RE92 you are looking at.

Why do you want the narrowest tire? Do you need a tire that small to fit in your wheel well?

If not, it is more important to have a low rolling resistance tire. This depends on the material and construction of the tire, not its width.

Phil Marino

    That does sound strange as I thought the high voltage side was
opto-isolated from zilla to hairball.

When you say 56Volt short, do you mean that a meter probe from body
ground to pack ground reads 56V?

The zilla is a high side switcher. if you were getting current thru the
zila on the M+ line you would have rotation.

Do you have a main contactor?  If it is not pulled in then removing the
M+ does no good.

The 56 Volts sounds like the typical acid tracking short. I have a 300V
pack of AGMS and still get that occasionally. Just wipeing down the
battery tops has cured that. I even use the voltmeter to find where it
is. My brand new pack had this problem. It turns out that being in close
proximity to all those floodies at the warehouse and in the truck
accross country must of coasted them with a fine mist that dried
conductive. What I thought was dust was dried acid spray? Lesson
learned, wipe them down on install.

I did have a problem with my zilla and although I never got it wet wet,
I had it mounted under the hood without a box and aparently the moisture
crept or aplashed in and damaged the 15V power supply. Otmar fixed it,
turning it around in a week or two. Great Service.

But I wonder about your wireing. It sounds like you used it only once?
You may have gotten something wrong that didn't show up until it pulled
in the main contactor. Did the main contactor drop out when you shut
down? did one of the contactor sense wires get mixed up  with one of the
other wires and put 10V on the 12 volt line or some sensor line.  Check
your low voltage wireing and make sure it is...low voltage.

Here's the first of many articles that will be hitting in the next week or so, as a result of the the media frenzy at the Wayland Invitational drag races two weeks ago. This one is a local story from the Portland Tribune newspaper:

http://www.portlandtribune.com/accelerate/story.php?story_id=118548740512719300

See Ya.....John Wayland

Thank you very much for posting that and the good documentation. Ill
deffinitely use your page as a reference. I use a contactor for now but
when Im in school Ill have time to try to make one.
Paul

> Hi all,
>
> I built a little speed controller for an electric trolley this week,
> and since there's often discussion on home-brew speed controllers on
> here I thought it might be useful if I documented the design for
> others to peruse/critique/copy:
>
> http://zeva.com.au/speedy/
>
> So far it seems to work a treat! Hopefully might be of some use to
> others out there working on their own controllers, and I'm always
> open to any constructive criticism on the design from the experts :)
>
> -Ian

Ahhh, another person who likes the xtracycle!
Great product I'm sure.

I would love to have on on my bike.
Their website is so well designed, so many times I visited their
website, even after making the purchase. Fantastic folk!

I paid in full for an extracycle with all the trimmings, as in 2x
saddlebags, passenger carry board, etc... Cost me $AU730. 2 months
later, still no product. The last eta I was given was November, but
seeing as I already pain in full, I may get it by September. Anyway I
cancelled the order. So sad to say. :-(

It is bad when great products by newly formed companies find themselves
with a case of great front-end, shithouse backend. Something about a
worldwide shortage since August/September last year because of an
incorrect production run at the Taiwanese manufacturing yards.

I was intending for my xtracycle-equipped bike to be my main vehicle.
But as this won't happen for another 2 or 4 months, I'd decided to go
for a recumbent trike instead, and could only afford it by selling my
ICE car (not for conversion) and apply for an xtracycle refund.

Perhaps in the future, when I have more cash on hand, and can actually
afford to convert my beloved ute to electric, I will look at it again.
Such a sweet looking product! :-)

Anyway, if you are the type that enjoys taking the bike out for a ride,
check this product out (in a few months when they have stock......) Same
for the electric attachment, different company though. They're not
currently taking orders, changes are a-happening.

About that StokeMonkey electric attachment, I reckon the main thing it
has got going for it, over the hub motors we all see is that its output
is attached to the pedal crank of the bicycle. Meaning that you have
some odd 400W of added power over your entire gear range, as compared to
a fixed ratio with a hub motor.

And yes, I tried purchasing one of those aswell. Well submitted my
interest was the best I could do as they haven't been accepting new
orders for at least 2 months now. I'm not sure about the holdups with
their products.

Two great products, just wish they were a little cheaper and in stock ;-)

Cheers,
James.

Ian Page-Echols wrote:
> I found the bike store Clever Chimp recently in my searchings for
> saddlebags for my bike.  They sell, among other things, FreeRadical
> kits by Xtracycle, which attaches to the back of a normal bike and
> allows you to carry a ton of stuff on there (one of the images on the
> Xtracycle site shows a biker carrying a kayak!).
>
> What I just found was that Clever Chimp is selling an electric kit for
> bikes equipped this way.  Looks pretty well thought out.  Batteries
> are 36 volt NiMH (choice of 9 or 13Ah at 12 and 19 lbs) and it sounds
> like the motor and mountings are around 20 lbs.  Top speeds of around
> 30 mph, and a range of around 50 miles (can't find this again, but I
> remember reading that number, most likely with the larger battery?),
> and $1350 for the kit.  You're talking almost 70 lbs for a full bike
> set up this way, so might be best as a 2nd bike.  Very tempting.
>
> http://www.xtracycle.com/freerad.php (North San Juan & Emeryville, CA)
> http://cleverchimp.com/products/stokemonkey/ (Portland)
>
> Ian

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I have my heater relay for my 220V pack grounded on one 12v side and the other going to the positive wire of my heater fan through a switch in the dash which used to be the AC switch, When the AC switch is on and the fan is turned on the relay makes contact on the first, second and third fan speed position but on the fourth position or the highest, the relay drops out and I need to turn the fan off to get it to contact again. I have a diode across the relay coil (not sure if needed) and that's it. Any suggestions as to a fix for this and why it happens on the high fan speed setting?

Zeke,

We're talking maximum temperature on the insulation.
155 deg C for class F and 180 deg C for class H, which
a lot of motors use.  Yea, that's hot.  When the coil
insulation is at these limit temps, the outside of the
frame may be in the neighborhood of 100 deg C.

Jeff

--- Zeke Yewdall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 155 degree C, as in 312 degrees F?  That seems
> awfully hot for a motor
> to me.  I guess it's good, but I thought you were
> normally supposed to
> keep them below 100C or so...

> On 7/26/07, Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Zeke,
> >
> > Class F is for 155 degree C max.  Most often used
> is
> > an allowable 115 deg C rise (over a 40 deg C
> ambient).
> >
> > Jeff
> >

> > --- Zeke Yewdall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > sorry.
> > >
> > > It says
> > >
> > > CL.F  DUTY-1 HR 115c

> > Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you
> sell.
> > http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

--- Begin Message --- on the rumor from Jukka, I contacted A123 to ask if they were iron or cobalt cells. I got a partial answer

A123 Systems Product Evaluation wrote:
Mr. Frederiksen,

A123 utilizes a nano-phosphate technology that does not contain cobalt
or Manganese.

Best,
Steve

Either A123 is flat out lying or that bird you heard Jukka was a mocking bird : )

Dan

Joseph T. wrote:
As terribly ridiculous it sounds, it's true unfortunately. Tires that
are over 6 years old have aged, believe it or not from just sitting
there. The tires, despite little/no use, have deteriated enough to
make them dangerous. This article talks all about it:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/05/27/eveningnews/consumer/main698335.shtml

While I don't doubt that tires age, I must say that I don't believe the effect is nearly as bad as this article indicates. It has a sensationalist tone, and no real facts.

I would expect that as a tire ages, its load-carrying capacity (and other parameters) will gradually decrease. Fine... *how much* capacity does it lose after 6 years? 1%? 10%? 50%?

I *know* I've run tires more than twice the "6 year" age that article touts, with not one single failure. I can think of endless numbers of cases where people with old or classic cars are running tires that are decades old. So my guess is that the percent degradation is low. It would only matter in cases where the tire was already being run at its full load capacity even when new.

HI, Mark

I've set up my Echo the same way ( using the AC switch to control the heater) so I'm familiar with the wiring.

The fan takes a lot of current on high (about 12 amps) , so I can think of two possibilities:

1. Your 12V system voltage is dropping enough to drop the relay out. Put a voltmeter on your 12V system and watch the voltage as you change the fan speed.

2. There is enough voltage drop in the AC switch or wiring to allow the relay voltage to drop when the fan is on high.

To check this, put a voltmeter on the relay coil and watch as you change fan speeds.

What relay are you using?? It could be that the AC switch itself is the culprit - it's only designed to send a signal to the A/C amplifier, not power a large relay directly.

Mine is set up so that the AC switch only drives a small ( 17 ma coil) relay , and THAT relay drives the larger KUEP relay ( 100 ma coil). You could try something like that.

A third possibility ( this seems unlikely to me) is that the blower switch is faulty and is not grounding the heater relay ( which needs to be on to power the AC switch) when teh blower switch is in the "high" position. Or, if the ground wire from the heater switch were loose, it might have that same effect (because there is more current through that ground wire when the fan is on "high").

Phil

From: Mark Dutko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Heater Relay Dropout Issue
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 06:49:38 -0700

I have my heater relay for my 220V pack grounded on one 12v side and the other going to the positive wire of my heater fan through a switch in the dash which used to be the AC switch, When the AC switch is on and the fan is turned on the relay makes contact on the first, second and third fan speed position but on the fourth position or the highest, the relay drops out and I need to turn the fan off to get it to contact again. I have a diode across the relay coil (not sure if needed) and that's it. Any suggestions as to a fix for this and why it happens on the high fan speed setting?

http://newlivehotmail.com

On some models the high side of the switch is feed through a different source
of power and not through the resistor block that feeds the lower fan speeds.
It might be dropping out because of that?

Tom