  1) Re: Inspection Woes
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Another Tweety grin...
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  3) Re: "Electric" Emblem
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Bridgestone Ecopia EP-03 Tires - tire width vs RR
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: John Wayland in Wall Street Journal
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Inspection Woes
        by "Michael Wendell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Another Tweety grin...
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: [ElectricMotorcycles] Inspection Woes
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Another Tweety grin...
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: [ElectricMotorcycles] Inspection Woes
        by "Obrien, Haskell W." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: [ElectricMotorcycles] Inspection Woes
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: [ElectricMotorcycles] Inspection Woes
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Inspection Woes
        by "Mark Eidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: [ElectricMotorcycles] Inspection Woes
        by Greg Owen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: Another Tweety grin...
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: John Wayland in Wall Street Journal
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: [ElectricMotorcycles] Inspection Woes
        by "Mark Eidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Did you pop a burn out for him to show him it has ooomph?  Although if you did
that it might not pass IM ;-)

What state (of the Union) are you in?

From: Bruce Williford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wednesday, August 1, 2007 10:24 am
Subject: "Electric" Emblem
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

> Are the "Electric" stick-on emblems still available anywhere?  My
> Ghia
> is at the body shop for its paint job and I was hoping to paste on
> the
> emblem for that final touch.
>
> Thanks, Bruce

Dewey,

There is a vehicle weight scale that is about 5 blocks from me. I can do
multiple weights on this scale.  I first drove on the front wheels, then the
whole weight of the vehicle, the rear axles, the right side and left side.
>From that data I was able to calculated the weight per wheel which was real
close to the half the weight of the axle weight.

To calculated the PSI pressure in the tires, I use 65 psi at the 2360 lbs
for the rear tires.  The fronts which are at 1090 lbs, I can proportion that
weight as  (65 x 1090)/ 2360 = 30 lbs.

Then I check the deflection factor by measuring the total height of tire
unloaded to loaded.  I finally had to increase the front tires to 40 psi,
which works out good for me.

Now there is a thrust factor where every time you brake the vehicle, there
is weight that is transfer from the rear to front which adds about 10 psi to
the front tires.

From: Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wednesday, August 1, 2007 6:48 am
Subject: Re: John Wayland in Wall Street Journal
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

> Hey all
>
> I'll deffinantly have to stop and grab a copy so I can
> frame it for the office wall 8^)  Although I'm not
> sure whether I should high-light "electric forklift
> motor" or not  LMAO.  Electric forklift motor "my ass"
> 8^(  I want to see the forklift that sports a 34"
> Dutchman racing shaft, LMAO 8^)
>
> Guess I better start showing up at the EVents more 8^P
>
> At least the motor did make the video! (EVen if it was
> all burnt and crispy looking)(and John has a look that
> says, I told the loser to do it right last time) 8^o
>
> I also thought Wayland was like 55 or 60 years old 8^P
> He's always been a father figuer to me anyway, LMAO!
>
> It may be the Wall Street Journal but this puppy is
> only getting a small corner section in the office 8^o
>
> All jesting aside congrats for some awesome EV press,
> and I just can't wait to start fielding calls and
> emails from folks wanting to know where they too can
> find Siamese forklift motors 8^)
>
> Had fun 8^)
>
> Jim Husted
> Hi-Torque Electric
>

> ____________________________________________________________________________________Shape
>  Yahoo! in your own image.  Join our Network Research Panel today!

> So I take my bike
> http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/preview.php?vid=1231
> down to the local ADOT Level II inspection station to get a VIN
> number and title...

i was wondering about this bike the first time i saw it a few weeks ago. i'm
concerned about the fact that the front wheel has (or seems to have) zero
caster. unless the bike has some form of active steering damper or
stabilization, it could be quite dangerous. without any caster angle there's
no self-centering force on the front wheel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caster_angle

seems very dangerous. i could definitely be wrong, and if you think so,
please let me know what i might have overlooked.

by the way, the construction and fabrication look completely top-notch. it's
a beatuful machine, i just have that one concern about stability.

m.

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> At the next light, a bright blue PT Cruiser pulled
> up. A young lady
> stuck her hand out the window in a thumb’s up
> gesture and said, “Really
> cool ride!”
>
> Made my day! :)

Hey Ken

She probably just watched you blow away the MC 8^)

What's funny is I can picture you getting pulled over
by a cop asking you if you're the one who just layed
rubber back at the light, and you replying "What! in
this thing! Please!"  LMAO

Cya

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

--- Begin Message --- I understand that it is a build from scratch, but the principle is still the same, although at times you have to be quick on your feet. I'm not exactly saying make stuff up, I am saying speak in the terms they are used to. So instead of saying it is a 13 hp electirc, when they ask for CCs give them CCs. Pick a number you feel is in the right ballpark. It was easier for me, because at one time my bike was a 250cc motorcycle, but I would be willing to bet if you would have told them 400cc they would have put that in the box on their form and moved to the next question.

I had to have my bike inspected by the State Patrol in Washington because it came with no title. I waited until after it was converted, which could have been a mistake on my part, but turned out fine. The inspection was simply to verify that it wasn't stolen, but when the inspector looked on the motor for a vin, he asked me if I had replaced the motor. I just said yes, which is what he wanted to hear. I did not volunteer any extra details about it being electric, and he moved on to the next box on his form.

Also don't forget one of the best tricks. If you run into problems at one office, head to a different one. If I were you I would not be waiting around to hear back from upstairs, I would be driving around to different offices until you get it registered. I would start over fresh at the next office and act like you expect them to register it for you just like any other motorcycle, although talking to some of the custom chasis guys first that have experience doing this might be useful.

damon

From: "Mark Eidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ElectricMotorcycles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [ElectricMotorcycles] Inspection Woes
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 11:45:54 -0700

This was built from scratch........no original bike.......me

On 8/1/07, john fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> all good advice for dealing with the bureaucracy.
> I think most customs simply retain the original bikes registration; thats what I would do.
> Each state is different, though.
> JF
>
> damon henry wrote:
> > I would say you have an excellent chance but you will likely need lots
> > of persistence.  I find that when dealing with paperwork issues it is
> > easiest to give the answers they want to hear. For instance, when asked
> > how many CCs say 400, if they question that answer say that your
> > electric motor is equivalent to a 400cc motorcycle engine.
> >
> > When I took the skills test for my motorcycle license on my EM they
> > asked me the cc question which determines parameters for some of the
> > different obstacles.  I answered 250cc, since that is what the bike
> > started out as, and they went straight to the next step without
> > question. I only offered one piece of voluntary information. Since you > > get a heavy deduction for stalling, I pointed out that my motorcycle was
> > incapable of stalling.  I mentioned that if you don't hear any sound
> > from the motor it is because you are not supposed to.
> >
> > damon

Need a brain boost? Recharge with a stimulating game. Play now!  http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=club_hotmailtextlink1
"But honest officer, this thing is only battery powered,  I couldn't possibly
have layed those 100 ft twin black stripes.  It must have been that Red 5.0
liter Mustang that was next to me at the light. :-O"

Do you think that would work for a Pinto?  I mean no one in their right mind
would ever suspect.....a Pinto?

> > At the next light, a bright blue PT Cruiser pulled
> > up. A young lady
> > stuck her hand out the window in a thumb’s up
> > gesture and said, “Really
> > cool ride!”
> >
> > Made my day! :)
>
> Hey Ken
>
> She probably just watched you blow away the MC 8^)
>
> What's funny is I can picture you getting pulled over
> by a cop asking you if you're the one who just layed
> rubber back at the light, and you replying "What! in
> this thing! Please!"  LMAO
>
> Cya
> Jim Husted
> Hi-Torque Electric

> someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

You might prefer to say something like 'It's electric, but It's equivalent to a
xx cc gas motor.'

> [...]

>asked
> > > how many CCs say 400, if they question that answer say that your
> > > electric motor is equivalent to a 400cc motorcycle engine.
> > >
> > > When I took the skills test for my motorcycle license on my EM they
> > > asked me the cc question which determines parameters for some of the
> > > different obstacles.  I answered 250cc, since that is what the bike
> > > started out as, and they went straight to the next step without
> > > question.  I only offered one piece of voluntary information.  Since
>you
> > > get a heavy deduction for stalling, I pointed out that my motorcycle
>was
> > > incapable of stalling.  I mentioned that if you don't hear any sound
> > > from the motor it is because you are not supposed to.
> > >
> > > damon

Need a brain boost? Recharge with a stimulating game. Play now!

I don't know if Arizona (I found that out from your EVAlbum page ;-)  has an IM
program.  My IM coordinator who is the point man in our state for keeping the
air clean from automobiles was more than happy to walk me through the process.
Because they still didn't have a permanent "Electric" exemption sticker last
month when I went to renew., he just re-registered himself with a regular
sticker that says "Passed" and didn't even charge me any of the typical extra
fees when you go to register.  He was proud of the Air Quality program he has
but was real keen to listen when I talk to him about EV's.  I could see gears
turning inside his head :-)

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

> [...]
> >
> >This was built from scratch........no original bike.......me
> >
> >On 8/1/07, john fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > all good advice for dealing with the bureaucracy.
> > > I think most customs simply retain the original bikes
> registration;
> >thats what I would do.
> > > Each state is different, though.
> > > JF

> need lots
> issues it is
> when
> >asked

> EM they
> of the
> the bike
> Since
> >you
> motorcycle
> >was
> any sound

> Need a brain boost? Recharge with a stimulating game. Play now!

Maybe Jim Husted would measure the displacement of a motor armature the size of
your's and you could validly say that the little moving part that goes around
inside displaces xxx  CC's ;-)

> You might prefer to say something like 'It's electric, but It's
> equivalent to a xx cc gas motor.'

Never got it off the trailer........I'm in AZ.

MIKE WILLMON wrote:
> I don't know if Arizona (I found that out from your EVAlbum page ;-)
>  has an IM program. My IM coordinator who is the point man in our
> state for keeping the air clean from automobiles was more than happy
> to walk me through the process.

Two quick questions:

What does IM stand for in this context?

Has anyone on-list registered a homebuilt/conversion in Massachusetts
and would they be willing to contact me off-list about what it involved?
 I'm trying to figure out the hoops before I start building.

Thx!

That might work. But, keep in mind there a probably quite a few cops on the
force today that have never seen and don't know what the hell a Pinto is; or
what a slow piece of crap it was before you modified it.

--
Stay Charged!
Hump

Great article!
I didn't that was why they called you plasma boy.
Good story!

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 9:48 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
In a message dated 8/1/2007 6:23:08 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
xxxxxx
They even drew a "stipled effect" portrait of John. That makes it  an
official WJ article. Great mug shot.
_http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118593442187584293.html_
(http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118593442187584293.html)
--------
Plasma Boy, great story in the Wall Street Journal, you're 47? you're
catching up to me.

Keep kicking ice butt.

Jim...............still second quickest lead acid EV in the  world.

www.GlobalBoiling.com for daily images about hurricanes, globalwarming and the melting poles.

www.ElectricQuakes.com daily solar and earthquake images.

What is IM?  me