<And perhaps a simpler explanation is that ET does not exist because
we are the first...>

I can't disagree because you said the magic word: perhaps.
Perhaps we are the first. Perhaps the universe is teeming with
superintelligent life that acts upon reality in ways that we don't
perceive. Perhaps other perhapses are perhaps true and perhaps not.
Time will tell and we will see.