On Sun, Mar 31, 2024 at 10:05 AM William Flynn Wallace <foozle...@gmail.com>
wrote:

*> John, you are judging all environmentalists by a tiny group of
> extremists. *

Tiny? I didn't see a larger group of environmentalists lobbying in favor of
SCoPEx or The Thirty Meter Telescope! I am judging environmentalists by
those who manage to get things done, or rather those who are successful in
making sure that nothing ever gets done. They'd rather cry about global
warming than do anything to try to fix the problem,  unless  of course the
solution involves a vast amount of suffering, then fixing it would be OK.
Otherwise they'd prefer the problem remain unsolved.

966

Environmentalists claim global warming poses an existential threat to the
entire human race, and yet they oppose even exploring the possibility of
stopping it unless it involves a vast amount of human suffering. The
pressure from environmentalists proved to be too great and  SCoPEx has been
canceled by Harvard University, who financed it.  SCoPEx was a sort of
small high altitude maneuverable blimp that would go up into the
stratosphere and release at most 2 kg of calcium carbonate particles (just
ground up over the counter antacid particles like Tums) and then turn
around and fly through the cloud of particles to measure how they dispersed
and how well they reflected sunlight. They finished building the vehicle
and we're ready to launch it in the summer of 2021 from northern Sweden,
but environmentalists made them stop, they claimed that 2 kg of Tums
risks "*catastrophic
consequences*" the worst consequence being that if it was scaled up it
might actually work by reflecting enough sunlight to stop global warming
and thus reduce "*the world’s necessary efforts to achieve zero-carbon
societies*" and so they insisted there is "*no acceptable reason for
allowing the SCoPEx project to be conducted either in Sweden or elsewhere*."

Could reduce the world's needs to reach zero carbon emissions
<https://www.technologyreview.com/2024/03/18/1089879/harvard-halts-its-long-planned-atmospheric-geoengineering-experiment/>

Since 2021 SCoPEx had tried to find another high northern or southern
latitude place to launch their balloon, but environmentalists are really
good at finding ways to stop things from getting done, they stopped the
launch every time, and today Harvard has given up. SCoPEx is dead, killed
by environmentalists. Nine years ago environmentalists, with the help of
native Hawaiian barbarians and believe it or not  Aquaman, also killed the
wonderful Thirty Meter Telescope even though construction was almost half
finished. So I am not a huge fan of environmentalists, they just are not
serious people.