From: John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Sent: Mon, Apr 10, 2023 6:34 am
Subject: Re: GPT4 + Mathematica

On Sun, Apr 9, 2023 at 3:11 PM smitra <smi...@zonnet.nl> wrote:

>> GPT: For a solid sphere of uniform density, we can divide it into small
>> volume elements, each with mass dm. The volume element located at a distance
>> r from the center of the sphere has a moment of inertia relative to the
>> x-axis given by:
dIx = dm * y^2
> smitra: dIz = dm * (x^2 + y^2)

I asked  GPT to take a second look at the part where it said  "dIx = dm * y^2".
I did NOT say it was wrong or it had made an error of any kind, I just asked it
to look at it, but nevertheless it knew it had made a boo-boo. GPT said this:
"GPT: I apologize for the error in my previous response. The correct expression
for the moment of inertia of a small volume element relative to the x-axis is:

dIx = dm * (y^2 + z^2)

This takes into account the fact that the mass element is not necessarily
located on the y-axis, but rather at a distance y from the x-axis and at a
distance z from the z-axis. Similarly, the moment of inertia of a small volume
element relative to the y-axis is:

dIy = dm * (x^2 + z^2) and the moment of inertia of a small volume element
relative to the z-axis is:

dIz = dm * (x^2 + y^2)

I hope this clarifies the issue. Thank you for bringing it to my attention."
By the way, the version of GPT I was using was NOT the one that had the
Mathematica plug-in.
 John K Clark    See what's on my new list at  Extropolis5vd--
"Everything List" group.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv3iiA7TsfSf-ujmv1Le1Syhh-cigi5OTcU4qxcNSN%2Btvw%40mail.gmail.com.