On Tue, 23 May 2023 at 10:48, Terren Suydam <terren.suy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 8:42 PM Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, 23 May 2023 at 10:03, Terren Suydam <terren.suy...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> it is true that my brain has been trained on a large amount of data -
>>> data that contains intelligence outside of my own. But when I introspect, I
>>> notice that my understanding of things is ultimately rooted/grounded in my
>>> phenomenal experience. Ultimately, everything we know, we know either by
>>> our experience, or by analogy to experiences we've had. This is in
>>> opposition to how LLMs train on data, which is strictly about how
>>> words/symbols relate to one another.
>>>

>> The functionalist position is that phenomenal experience supervenes on
>> behaviour, such that if the behaviour is replicated (same output for same
>> input) the phenomenal experience will also be replicated. This is what
>> philosophers like Searle (and many laypeople) can’t stomach.
>>

> I think the kind of phenomenal supervenience you're talking about is
> typically asserted for behavior at the level of the neuron, not the level
> of the whole agent. Is that what you're saying?  That chatGPT must be
> having a phenomenal experience if it talks like a human?   If so, that is
> stretching the explanatory domain of functionalism past its breaking point.

The best justification for functionalism is David Chalmers' "Fading Qualia"
argument. The paper considers replacing neurons with functionally
equivalent silicon chips, but it could be generalised to replacing any part
of the brain with a functionally equivalent black box, the whole brain, the
whole person.