Bruno Marchal writes:

Le 30-déc.-06, à 07:53, Stathis Papaioannou a écrit :

> there is no contradiction in a willing slave being intelligent.

It seems to me there is already a contradiction with the notion of "willing slave".
I would say a willing slave is just what we call a worker.
Or something related to sexual imagination ...
But a "real" slave is, I would say by definition, not willing to be slave.

OK, a fair point. Do you agree that if we built a machine that would happily obey our every command, even if it lead to its own destruction, that would (a) not be incompatible with intelligence, and (b) not cruel? For in order to be cruel we would have to build a machine that wanted to be free and was afraid of dying, and then threaten it with slavery and death.
Stathis Papaioannou