Hal, a decade ago I 'read' your text easier than now: you firmed up your
vocabulary - gradually out of my understanding. Sorry.
*
You seem to accept 'observer moments' and their interaction - even postulate
one variable needed.

How long is an OM? a million years (cosmology) or a msec? Even if it is a
portion of the latter, it makes the existence quite discontinuous - with all
the difficulties in it. If it is continuous, then how can we talk about
'moments'? Should we assign an equal rate change to all existence (meaning: ONE
selection for the OM length)? If it can be ANY, varying from the infinitely
short to the other extreme, it would 'wash away' any sense of the meaning of an
Observer MOMENT concept.
I think the OM is the figment of us, human observers, who want to use an
'understandable' model. [Like: numbers (in the human logic sense).]

Then, in view of the resulting 'unfathomable', we 'complicate' these models -
originally created FOR comprehension - into incomprehensibility. [The way as
e.g. to bridge Bohm's Explicate to the Implicate (by Nic de  Cusa's 2nd
principle, left out by Bohm: the "Complicate" - what I like to assign as
math).]
*
That 'one' variable property you mention as needed for state- interaction is
IMO not necessarily  o n e  within our (present) comprehension.
I like your 'abhorring' a selection: we could select only from within
boundaries of our *present* epistemic cognitive inventory. (Or: from a much
narrower one dating back 2500+ years or any time in between).

John Mikes