There have now been 26 responses.  This will be the final time I collect the
results to send out, so for now the poll can be considered closed.

In summary:

65% of people believe who took the survey believe everything exists, with an
equal percentage accepting mathematical realism.  Slightly more, 73% believe
in arithmetical realism, and 69% believe a digital computer can be
conscious.  52% apparently believe Bruno's description of the physical word
as an infinity of computations, while 32% believe it digital and computable,
and 16% believing it to be continuous.  60% believe that the measure of OMs
plays a role in what they experience.

Regarding OMs, no one thought their next is randomly selected from among all
OMs, as ASSA does, while 23% chose RSSA.  37% thought it was meaningless to
consider a next OM, with 19% believing they are but a single OM without a
next, and 15% believing they are all OMs.  On this question 42% did not
choose any of these options and chose other, making it the most popular
choice.

Regarding reality, 8% take a materialist view, not believing in the reality
of consciousness, while 23% take the opposite approach and believing
consciousness is all that reality is.  50% believe it is some combination
and 19% believe it is something else (one saying he doesn't know, another
sating combinations of tronnies, and another logico-mathematics).

The question that had the highest level of agreement was the preference of
the MWI to CI, at 81%, with 73% believing in some form of immortality.

On consciousness:
96% believe they are conscious
88% believe other humans and intelligent enough aliens are conscious
80% believe dolphins, apes, and cats are conscious
77% believe dogs are conscious (who is the cat lover who thinks dogs are
zombies?)
73% believe mice are conscious
61% believe shrimp, spiders, and ants are conscious
42% believe ant coolonies are conscious
38% believe thermostats are conscious
34% believe web-browsers are conscious (Is reading bits from a web server
different from reading the temperature?)
30% believe rocks are conscious

On time, 73% take a block time perspective, while 19% believe in presentism,
and 8% in possibilism (past and present only exist).  Was there anyone who
believed everything exists, but not in block time?

Thanks to everyone for your participation.

Jason

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 4:19 AM, Torgny Tholerus <tor...@dsv.su.se> wrote:

> Stathis Papaioannou skrev:
>
>  2010/1/14 Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com>:
>>

>>> Interesting so far:
>>> - people are about evenly divided on the question of whether computers
>>> can be conscious
>>> - no-one really knows what to make of OM's
>>> - more people believe cats are conscious than dogs
>>>

>> Oh, and one person does not believe that they are conscious! Come on,
>> who's the zombie?
>>

> It's me.
>
> (The question on whether computers can be conscious, should have three
> alternatives:
>
> 1)  Both computers and humans can be conscious.
> 2)  Humans, but not computers can be conscious.
> 3)  Neither humans nor computers can be conscious.
>
> (The alternative: Computers, but not humans can be conscious, is not
> needed...))
>
> --
> Torgny Tholerus

Title: FreeOnlineSurveys.com View Results

Results for: Everything List Survey

1)

I believe that everything exists.

Percentage
True 65.4%17
False
34.6%9
Total responses:
26

2)

I believe in mathematical realism. (All self-consistent mathematical objects are real)

Percentage
True 65.4%17
False
34.6%9
Total responses:
26

3)

I believe in arithmatical realism (At a minimum, the integers have their own objective reality)

Percentage
True 73.1%19
False
26.9%7
Total responses:
26

4)

I believe the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics is preferable to the copenhagen interpretation.

Percentage
True 80.8%21
False
19.2%5
Total responses:
26

5)

I believe in quantum (or some other) form of immortality.

Percentage
True 73.1%19
False
26.9%7
Total responses:
26

6)

I believe reality includes:

Percentage
Mathematical, Material, or Physical structures
7.7
2
Consciousness and thought
23.1
6
Some combination of both
50.0
13
Other
19.2
5
Total responses:
26

7)

I believe that with the right software a digital computer can be conscious

Percentage
True 69.2%18
False
30.8%8
Total responses:
26

8)

I believe my next observer moment

Percentage
is a meaningless concept, I am an eternal thought
19.2
5
is a meaningless concept, I am all observer moments
15.4
4
is randomly selected from all extensions from my current one
23.1
6
is randomly selected from all observer moments
0.0
0
Other
42.3
11
Total responses:
26

9)

I believe the number of duplicate observer moments, or their measure, is meaningful to what I am experiencing now

Percentage
True 60.0%15
False
40.0%10
Total responses:
25

10)

I believe the universe we find ourselves in currently

Percentage
is continuous and uncomputable
16.0
4
is digital and computable
32.0
8
is made up of an infinity of computations, and uncomputable
52.0
13
Total responses:
25

11)

I believe the following objects posess consciousness:
  PercentageResponses
Myself
9.7
25
Other human beings
8.9
23
Aliens of sufficient intelligence
8.9
23
Apes
8.1
21
Dolphins
8.1
21
Dogs
7.7
20
Cats
8.1
21
Mice
7.3
19
Shrimp
6.2
16
Spiders
6.2
16
Ants
6.2
16
Ant colonies
4.2
11
Thermostats
3.9
10
Web browsers
3.5
9
Rocks
3.1
8

12)

Regarding time, I believe

Percentage
that only the present is real
19.2
5
that only the past and present are real
7.7
2
that the past, present and future are real
73.1
19
Total responses:
26