Dear John,

On 19 Feb 2010, at 22:54, John Mikes wrote:

I think you (not you alone, it includes the esteemed 'conventional scientific establishment' as well) got it backwards:

not to start with my own ignorance about "what do we call "LIFE", but from the folk-meaning of it on: whatever we identify as that moumenon, is NOT a "...quantum process or 'computation' of course..." it is (whatever it is) the poorly understood information we received, interpreted into our limited mental capabilities - AS - a quantum process or computation because we identified such things already.

We don't pretend our theory are true. We never do that (except the week-end I guess). Nor do we pretend that we have the correct interpretation of our theory. That's a nuance ignored by most physicists.

I would say it is (whatever it is) what we bet is behind our poorly understood information we received. It is what our hypothesis are about.

We have no idea what those complex phenomena are of which we receive only partial information and understand even those poorly. Then we feel smart.

We never should.

May I refer to your parenthetical reference to the "physical world"?

I am not sure. I would call it only the current consensual "reality". With comp, this (the observable-in-a repeatable-way) has to be retrieved from arithmetic (extensional and intensional). (And the propositional basic part has already been retrieved if we accept the arithmetical interpretation of Theaetetus-Plato theory of knowledge").

Which does not intend to reduce my appreciation for the practicality of the achievements in technology etc. by our so far disclosed epistemic enrichment in our cognitive inventory. I exempt the 'computation' from my denial, especially if we apply 'computation' in a wide enough(?) domain.

Well, if you are willing to survive with an artificial brain, then the notions of computation and computability play a key role in *your* theology, including your physics.

Best,

Bruno