On 23 Feb 2010, at 15:38, Diego Caleiro wrote:

I'm not reading the whole discussion here, but the reason I recommended those readings is that I sensed a mix between accounting for phenomenal consciousness and access conciousness in the discussion. Both were used as 1p and 3p, depending on what was being talked about.
This is the reason for reading
http://www.nyu.edu/gsas/dept/philo/faculty/block/papers/Abridged%20BBS.htm

Ned Block is not too bad, but is not aware that materialism and the identity thesis are epistemologically incompatible. In our talk "consciousness" always mean "phenomenal consciousness". Notion like "access consciousness" are treated through self-reference logics and their many variants (what I call "arithmetical hypostases").

But many people still confuse the 3-p and the 1-p-p (the first person plural). Assuming comp I argue that physicalness is purely 1-p or 1-p- p. It looks "3-p" because it is locally sharable, but it is really first person plural (as Everett QM confirms retrospectively).

You may take a look at this

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/publications/SANE2004MARCHALAbstract.html

for the precise definitions of the person points of view based on comp, teleportation, and self-multiplication.

The reason for reading Yablo, on the other hand:
http://www.mit.edu/~yablo/mc.pdf

The PDF is incomplete. It is a bit frustrating because he talked on Malcolm's "conceivability of Mechanism". An entire chapter of "conscience et Mécanisme" is consecrated to dream and Malcolm's argument. Yablo is refreshing, but we dig a bit deeper in most of our conversation here :)

Is because he gives the only satisfactory account of the overdetermination, double causation problem (stronger than Kim's for instance). it seems that was befuzzling you......

Reason to read Rorty is he will try to convince you that all this discussion is just historic accident and that it relies in forgetting Kant on the one hand, and the mith of the given, by sellars, on the other.

I mentioned Rorty in my earlier work, but eventually he disappointed me in being far too much relativist. He seems to hide real technical difficulties by linguistic hand waving, in my opinion.

Bruno Marchal

Bye Bye

Diego Caleiro

Phil of Mind.

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 9:18 AM, David Nyman <david.ny...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 23 February 2010 05:45, Rex Allen <rexallen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For the reasons I've touched on above I don't see that introducing the > idea of a material world explains anything at all. Therefore, I vote
> for getting rid of 3-p, except as a calculational device.
>
> The idea of a material world that exists fundamentally and uncaused
> while giving rise to conscious experience is no more coherent than the
> idea that conscious experience exists fundamentally and uncaused and
> gives rise to the mere perception of a material world (as everyone
> accepts happens in dreams).
>
> What is the problem with this solution?

The problem with it, with reference to the situation as I've stated
it, is that it doesn't take us one step nearer elucidating the
relation between 1-p and 3-p.  In Dennett's formulation, there only
"seems" to be 1-p in a uniquely 3-p world; in yours, there only
"seems" to be 3-p in a fundamentally 1-p world.  But what neither
"solution" addresses, or even acknowledges - but rather obscures with
these linguistic devices - is what any fundamental relation between
these two undeniably manifest perspectives could possibly be.  What we
seek is a penetrating analysis of "seeming" that encompasses both 1-p
and 3-p aspects.

Now of course it's open to you, as you consistently reiterate, to
reject this issue as unworthy of discussion on the grounds that it is
permanently inexplicable. You may be right, but in effect this would
simply exclude you from the community of those who'd like to know
more, even if they're destined never to be enlightened.  In my view,
such an attitude is premature.

David