On 20 Mar 2010, at 21:34, David Nyman wrote:

On 20 March 2010 18:22, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

Well, if by 3-p Chalmers you mean some 'body', such a body *is* a zombie. The 1-p Chalmers is Chalmers, the person. Its body does not think, but makes higher the probability that the 1-p thoughts refers to the most probable
computations you are sharing with him.

Well, if its body does not think (which of course Chalmers assumes
that it does, even though he says from his epiphenomenalist-dualist
standpoint that this does not logically entail consciousness), just
how does it increase the probabilities in the way you say above?

That is what uda is all about. It shows that your current next 1-state is determined by all the universal UD-computations, which are going through the infinitely many 3-states corresponding (by comp) to that 1- state; equivalently, by an infinite set of number theoretical relations, which happen to be true.

 IOW,
what is the systematic correlation supposed to be between the
"physical events" in its brain and the 1-p thoughts of 1-p Chalmers?

The 1-p thoughts are associated to the infinitely many computations (in UD*) leading to the 3-p states. The next 1-p thought depends on the most probable "type" of computations. Probably there is a special role for deep and linear computation, to make duplication contagious from individual to population of individuals. But this has to be confirmed from a reasonable definition of knowledge, observation, ... , like the Theaetetical variants of G and G*.

This, after all, is a major aspect of  the mind<-->body problem, and
it's one thing for the explanation to be counter-intuitive, but right
now I'm not sure I could claim any firm intuition about it at all.

I am not sure at all what you still feel missing. Once you get the "local" 1-indeterminacy, steps 8 and 7, entails a global and constant 1-indeterminacy on all the UD states, or on all sigma_1 true sentences weighted by their proofs. Those states and computations are "there", like the little Mandebrot sets exists in the Mandelbrot set. It is a shock like DeWitt said that Everett is a "shock". "matter" here and now, as perceived, is determined by a limit on UD's work.

Let me try to tease this out, giving your words, as you say, their
most favourable interpretation - for me, that is.  By "the
computations you are sharing with him" I assume you to refer to the
1-p-plural computations (as you reserve 3-p for the arithmetical
reality).

One "1-plural computation" is a computation containing many interacting lobian machines. An emulation of heisenberg matrix or the universal wave provides examples. Note that the UD generates among its computations such quantum rational evolution, but the limit one we are confronted with may be define on the reals or complex numbers. The question becomes why does quantum computation or topology wins with respect to the observable world(s).

 IOW the UD generates (amongst everything else) the
1-p-plural appearances that constitute all possible perceptions of our
"shared environment" in all its possible extensions.

I would not say that. The UD generates none experience, for the experiences are statistically defined from inside, and bears on the whole "actual" UD* (or the Sigma_1 arithmetical truth with their proofs).

Included in
these, of course, are our bodies,

or many relative state-bodies. But our 1-perception of those bodies are sum on all computations in UD*.

and we expect - pace white rabbits -
our bodily activities (including, naturally, our brains) to be
consistent with our thoughts and with the behaviour of the rest of the
environment.

We hope to rely on some stable probable universal system.
Comp makes it independent of the base phi_i (and thus independent of the choice quantum/classical). To choose the quantum one is treachery, as far as we are interested in the consciousnesss/reality problem.

Nonetheless, presumably it is the case that there are "white rabbit"
extensions in which my response to the pain of being burned is to do
something pathological such as thrust my hand further into the flame.
But the effect in experience of even a high measure of divergent
pathological extensions is hypothesised as being damped by the
convergence of "normal" behavioural extensions (maybe corresponding to
some version of the least action principle, a la Feynman - and perhaps
illuminating also the unreasonable a posteriori effectiveness of
Occam).

Yes, Feynman solved the "white rabbit" quantum problem. But with comp it remains to be solve. Does the S4Grz1, Z1* and X1* logic impose some Gleason theorem and unicity of measure? Open problems (only encouraging results in that direction).

So the effect is to make it very much more likely that my
actions will be consistent with my thoughts, including the actions of
my brain.

Basically this is why we have to postulate Dt or ~Bf. In the Kripke semantics, this consists in abstracting oneself from the cul-de-sac worlds. By incompleteness it make truth (t) already not observable: Bt & Dt is not proved by G (PA, Löbian machine). But it is true by G*. The ideally correct machine observes truth but cannot assert it.

 Does this mean that there may be "white rabbit" extensions
in which the behaviour of my brain is grossly inconsistent with my
thoughts?  I suppose so.

This does not make sense. You are where an infinity of computations transported you. Those are real objects (that you can see as numbers or infinite sequence of numbers, + random oracle may be (by dovetailing on the reals).

Your probable brains cannot be inconsistent with your thought, because you are where your brains obtained those thoughts, by comp definition (or comp-supervenience). A computation is not an a trivial object, and the UD contains many "malin génies". The observable is a sum on all those fictions.

To hunt those 'génies' away, the "Matter exists" of the Aristotelian is not more convincing than the "God is good" of Descartes. It *is* the correct basic idea though, but it is exactly that good idea that comp makes computer science the tool for expressing (if only) the problem.

In this view, the concept of causation, if it is valid at all, must be
reserved for the 3-p arithmetical operators - for the internal
computational relations themselves.

OK. So there is no causation in the usual sense, but relations among numbers, and some relations makes some universal numbers describing their probable histories in term of causations, correctly, above their substitution level.

The higher-order relations
between computations are rather correlative, and the appearance of
causation in the correlative domain that we inhabit is that of
consistency with expectation - normal, or non-pathological behaviour,

Yes. Thanks to the 1-indeterminacy and the ultra redundancy of the Universal Dovetailing.

IOW.  So it isn't a case of the brain causing thoughts, or thoughts
causing the brain, but rather a question of which thoughts emerge as
being consistent with which brains.

You can say so. There is indeed a sort of Galois connection between consciousness/computations; like there is between, models/theories and surfaces/equations. The UD defines an implicit consciousness flow, and we live in the limit of it (by first person invariance with respect to the UD-time-steps).

 The remarkable thing then would
be that we seem to find ourselves only in situations where most
(perhaps all) brains are consistent with most (perhaps all) thoughts.
The dreams of the machines, finally, seem to have converged on shared
"physical" universes of staggering complexity and consistency.

Indeed. And then computability theory and self-reference logic explains the how and why, and also makes things consistent and more precise, even if a bit of the type "toy". It is the ideal case of the self-referentially correct machine, and its universality (and lobianity) entails already quite a mess in arithmetical platonia.

Is this anything like what you were trying to convey (interpreted
favourably, of course)?

I think so. My point is that once you say "yes" to the digital doctor, it has to be like that. We have to extend darwinism to derive physics from the arithmetical self-referential abilities of the numbers swarm.

Bruno