Rex,

Your post reminded me of the quote (of which I cannot recall the source)
where someone asked "Who pushes who around inside the brain?", meaning is it
the matter that causes thought to move around a certain way, or is it the
opposite?  The looped hierarchies described by Hofstadter, if present, make
this a difficult question to answer.  If the highest levels of thought and
reason are required in your decision making, does it still make sense to say
we are slaves of deterministic motions of particles or is that missing a few
steps?  I could not perfectly predict your behavior without creating a full
simulation of your brain.  Doing so would instantiate your consciousness.
Therefore I cannot determine what you will do without invoking your
consciousness, thought, reason, etc.

I do not disagree with your assertion that something must be either caused
or random, but does _what_ caused you to do something have any bearing?  If
your mind is the cause, does that count as free will?

Jason