2012/10/7 Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>

> On 07 Oct 2012, at 12:32, Alberto G. Corona wrote:
>
> Hi Roger:
>
> ... and cognitive science , which study the hardware and evolutionary
> psychology (that study the software or mind) assert that this is true.
>

> Partially true, as both the mainstream cognitive science and psychology
> still does not address the mind-body issue, even less the comp particular
> mind-body issue. In fact they use comp + weak materialism, which can be
> shown contradictory(*).
>

> The Kant idea that even space and time are creations of the mind is
> crucial for the understanding and to compatibilize the world of perceptions
> and phenomena with the timeless, reversible,  mathematical  nature of  the
> laws of physics that by the way, according with M Theory, have also
> dualities between the entire universe and the interior of a brane on the
> planck scale (we can not know if we live in such a small brane).
>

> OK. No doubt that Kant was going in the right (with respect to comp at
> least) direction. But Kant, for me, is just doing 1/100 of what the
> neoplatonists already did.
>

> I donĀ“t assume either if  this mathematical nature is or not the ultimate
> nature or reality
>

> Any Turing universal part of it is enough for the ontology, in the comp
> frame. For the epistemology, no mathematical theories can ever be enough.
> Arithmetic viewed from inside is bigger than what *any* theory can describe
> completely. This makes comp preventing any text to capture the essence of
> what being conscious can mean, be it a bible, string theory, or Peano
> Arithmetic. In a sense such theories are like "new person", and it put only
> more mess in Platonia.
>

> Probably the mind (or more specifically each instantiation of the mind
> along the line of life in space-time) make  use a sort of duality in
> category theory between topological spaces and algebraic structures (as
> Stephen told me and he can explain you) .
>

> Many dualities exist, but as I have try to explain to Stephen, mind and
> matter are not symmetrical things if we assume comp. The picture is more
> that matter is an iceberg tip of "reality".
>
> Even  if matter the tip of the iceberg, does the rest of if  "matter"?  do
we can know about it this submerged computational nature? which phenomena
produce the submerged part of this iceberg in the one that we perceive?.
Multiverse hypothesis propose a collection of infinite icebergs, but this
is a way to avoid God and to continue with the speculative business. What
the computational nature of reality tries to explain or to avoid? . May be
you answered this questions a number of times, ( even to me and I did not
realize it)

By the way, Bruno, you try to demolish physicalism from below by proposing
a computational theory of ultimate reality. I try to demolish  it from
above, by proposing that perceptions are the effect of computation in
living beings for survival . I assume, and I make use of it, that the comp
hypothesis can also be applied at a level above phisical reality instead of
below: a substitution at the axon firing level could be used to substitute
a part of the brain by computer chips (by making the chips to inject axonic
signals) + perhaps some hormonal control. This substitution level
Matrix-style can produce the same first person indeterminacy and still the
computation is made within this reality, by real computers made of ordinary
matter.

This is enough for a discussion.

Alberto.