On 09 Oct 2012, at 13:22, Stephen P. King wrote:

On 10/9/2012 2:16 AM, meekerdb wrote:
On 10/8/2012 3:49 PM, Stephen P. King wrote:

Hi Russell,

Question: Why has little if any thought been given in AGI to self-modeling and some capacity to track the model of self under the evolutionary transformations?

It's probably because AI's have not needed to operate in environments where they need a self-model. They are not members of a social community. Some simpler systems, like Mars Rovers, have limited self-models (where am I, what's my battery charge,...) that they need to perform their functions, but they don't have general intelligence (yet).

Could the efficiency of the computation be subject to modeling? My thinking is that if an AI could rewire itself for some task to more efficiently solve that task...

Betting on self-consistency, and variant of that idea, shorten the proofs and speed the computations, sometimes in the "wrong direction".

On almost all inputs, universal machine (creative set, by Myhill theorem, and in a sense of Post) have the alluring property to be arbitrarily speedable.

Of course the rtick is in "on almost all inputs" which means all, except a finite number of exception, and this concerns more evolution than reason.

Evolution is basically computation + the halting oracle. Implemented with the physical time (which is is based itself on computation + self- reference + arithmetical truth).

Onward!

Stephen