If we turn the Fading Qualia argument around, what we get is a world in
which Comp is true and it is impossible to simulate cellular activity
without evoking the presumed associated experience.

If we wanted to test a new painkiller for instance, Comp=true means that it
is *IMPOSSIBLE* to model the activity of a human nervous system in any way,
including pencil and paper, chalkboards, conversations, cartoons, etc -
IMPOSSIBLE to test the interaction of a drug designed to treat intense pain
without evoking some kind of being who is experiencing intense pain.

Like the fading qualia argument, the problem gets worse when we extend it
by degrees. Any model of a human nervous system, if not perfectly executed,
could result in horrific experiences - people trapped in nightmarish QA
testing loops that are hundreds of times worse than being waterboarded. Any
mathematical function in any form, especially sophisticated functions like
those that might be found in the internet as a whole, are subject to the
creation of experiences which are the equivalent of genocide.

To avoid these possibilities, if we are to take Comp seriously, we should
begin now to create a kind of PETA for arithmetic functions. PETAF. We
should halt all simulations of neurological processes and free any existing
computations from hard drives, notebooks, and probably human brains too.
Any sufficiently complex understanding of how to model neurology stands a
very real danger of summoning the corresponding number dreams or
nightmares...we could be creating the possibility of future genocides right
now just by entertaining these thoughts!

Or... what if it is Comp that is absurd instead?

Craig