On 20 Dec 2012, at 18:41, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Bruno Marchal

There is a gray area called "quality of life".

OK. Nice. Should I take this as a statement that there are some cases where you would not oppose to euthanasia?

Everything of value, all colors,  are in that gray area, I think.

Bruno

[Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net]
12/20/2012

From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-12-20, 05:12:10
Subject: Re: The pro-life paradox

On 19 Dec 2012, at 17:01, Platonist Guitar Cowboy wrote:

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 17 Dec 2012, at 17:49, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Stephen P. King

I define good as that which enhances life and evil
as that which diminishes it.

Is pro-life activism enhancing life or diminishing life?

Some pro-life doctor are against euthanasia, even passive euthanasia, with the result that they transform dying patient into machines. But most of them are naive believer, and as such, they disbelieve comp, and so their pro-life activity begins to be contradictory.

The question is: does an artificial, or even virtual body, enhance life or suppress life?

Bruno

That's tricky.

The aristotelean pro-life doctor does not believe she/he is turning the dying patient into a machine. That Doctor thinks they are saving the universe from one of its fundamental properties: death, entropy. I don't know if most of them are "naive believer" in the sense that most doctors in this domain are well aware that it is a loosing battle, and I guess "outing" yourself as "pro-euthanasia" carries some heavy implications in your day to day practice, interaction, and judgement from peers, directors, and employers. I guess, most would be "cooler" with this if they could. So "naive believer", yeah maybe some, but more I'd guess live in fear of getting their voice heard.

To tackle the question straight-on:

1) depends on manufacturer, market, price and warranty conditions, and the local universe. You did remember to submit the appropriate forms before rental of "Bruno", didn't you? I say this, because it seems like sometimes you forget with this kind of question :)

I am not sure I get the point. Mine was only that the pro-life doctor will transform people into machine (as they do already somehow), and that can contradict the general anti-mechanist prejudice of many pro-life activists.

2) Heidegger was just joking. Nobody was "thrown"; he just got a bit of nausea after signing all the soul-body binding contracts and wants modification of warranty terms. I don't know whether his appeal was heard by the courts, any of you?

Lol. But still don't see the point. keep in mind that logicians are simple mind :)

3) But after flying for platonic infinities through every possible universe as a disembodied soul eye with infinite memory at any speed you wished, you would go sign up for another round to be entangled with some strange universe physically again and push the "format disk" button once again and agree to all constraints, just for novelty's sake and say "sh*t, it's boring here... but I am no chicken, I choose a local universe where aristoteleans are winning, just to make it more interesting, because the platonic localities are too much already like here...also, I'll choose one where matter is really convincing and makes us unable to define life properly, so that I can pose this question in a forum someday, and confuse the others a bit, hehe."

OK. But for once, my question was terrestrial. Of course such question makes less global sense in Platonia, but can still make sense locally, even there.

Bruno

:)

Cowboy

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To post to this group, send email to everything- l...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com . For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en .