On Saturday, February 9, 2013 9:07:50 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

>> It's how I recognize intelligence - and so do you.
>>

> No, I recognize intelligence by experiencing learning. If there were an
> Elvis impersonator who was so good that you could not tell the difference
> between a film of him performing and one of Elvis performing, would you say
> that he had become Elvis Presley?
>

> Learning is only detectable via function.

Experiencing learning is implicitly detected already.

Think about it this way:

Let's say I'm a politician. I am about to give a press conference and so I
have a stack of cards which have been pre-prepared for me by six different
speech writers. They are color coded; red for questions about the military,
white for the economy, green for the environment, etc.

If I am a complete idiot, assuming that my writers have done their job, I
can field most if not all of the hot button questions without having known
much about them at all. I need only know how to read and to be able to
recognize which colors belong to which category of questions, and which
questions seem to be about which category.

Note that there is no one intelligent agent which has an understanding of
all of the categories.

However, if I were not an idiot, I could conceivably *learn* through the
course of acting out this political charade, a bit of what I find myself
parroting. If I am very intelligent, I could actually become informed in
all of these categories and become, myself, a single intelligent agent with
a polymath understanding - but -

my function need not change.

Nobody in the press will be able to tell whether I am a genius or an idiot
based upon anything that I say, given that my speech writers have
effectively predicted the types of questions which can be answered. As a
politician, I could probably evade any question which isn't covered by my
cards.

So there it is - a thought experiment, which, without getting into too much
Searlean complication, clearly shows the enormous hole in assuming any sort
of equivalence between intelligence and function, especially when there is
both a will and skill to execute a simulation of intelligence.

Craig