On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 10:51 AM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 2:43 PM, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I use the exact same definition of life that MILLIONS of people on this
>> planet once used: the word "Life" refers to some organic matter filled with
>> elan vital.
>>

> Fine. Organic matter is matter that operates according to the laws of
> carbon chemistry, and future computers will almost certainly contain carbon
> nanotubes and 2D carbon Graphene sheets.  And I have no idea what "elan
> vital" is and those who like the term have even less idea than I do, but
> whatever it is if meat can have it I see no reason why a computer can't
> have it too. So even by your definition a computer could be alive.

To be sure there was no misunderstanding, I do not seriously subscribe to
that definition of life. Rather, I was using your own phrasing to show how
it can be ridiculous it is to hold the meanings of words cannot change and
must remain absolutely static. For we find that the meanings of many words
change and evolve along with our understanding of the world.

> But Jason I want to ask you a direct question, and this isn't rhetorical
> I'd really like an answer:  If there is no all encompassing purpose or a
> goal to existence and if the unknown principle responsible for the
> existence of the universe is not intelligent and is not conscious and is
> not a being then do you think it adds to clarity to call that principle
> "God"?

I consider this question equivalent to asking "If there is no elan vital
found within organisms, does it still make sense to call those organisms
life?" Asking this question illustrates the attitude of holding the word in
higher esteem than the idea, which to me seems little different from a kind
of "ancestor worship" (which you are also opposed to). I think there is a
common kernel of idea behind the word God, which is common across many
religions, though each religion also adds various additional things on top
of and beyond what is contained in that kernel. If our theories lead us to
conclude God has or doesn't have these attributes, that is progress, and
our definitions ought to update accordingly, just as we did not throw out
the word "life" when we discovered it is just matter arranged in certain
ways. Similarly, even if we were to determine God is not "omnipotent", or
not "conscious", should we abandon that word and come up with something
else? Should we do this every time we learn some knew fact about some
thing? If we did, it seems to me that any old text would have an
incomprehensible vocabulary, as scientific progress forced us to adopt knew
words each time we learned something new.

Jason