On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 3:24 PM, Edgar L. Owen <edgaro...@att.net> wrote:

> Jesse,
>
> If as you say, the ""same point in time" in relativity just MEANS that
> two events are assigned the same time coordinate" then the twins are NOT at
> the same point in time because the two events of their meeting have
> different time coordinates in their coordinate systems.

Huh? No they don't. If a given pair of events A and B have exactly the same
coordinates (both space and time coordinates) as one another in one
coordinate system, then A and B must have the same coordinates as one
another in EVERY coordinate system. Of course the actual value of the
shared time coordinate will differ from one coordinate system to another
(since this depends on things like where you arbitrarily set the origin of
your coordinate system), but in every coordinate system the time-coordinate
of A = the time-coordinate of B. Are you actually disagreeing with that
(please answer clearly yes or no), or are you just pointing out that the
shared time-coordinate is different in different systems, or that the
shared time-coordinate will not match the clock time for both of them?

Incidentally, to speak of "their" coordinate systems is ambiguous since
they are not both inertial. Although physicists sometimes refer to the
inertial rest frame of an observer as "their own frame" or similar words
(though even this is purely a matter of convention, nothing stops a given
observer from assigning coordinates to events using a coordinate system in
which they are *not* at rest), there is no "standard" way to construct a
coordinate system for a non-inertial observers, there are an infinite
number of different coordinate systems they could use (even if you restrict
them to using a coordinate system where they remain at a constant position
coordinate, and where the time coordinate matches their own proper time).

> That's the whole point of needing a separate present moment to account for
> that. You can't just arbitrarily set a new clock time for the meeting and
> ignore the actual clock time difference in ages....

The *definition* of "same time" in relativity depends only on the
coordinate time, not the clock time of any particular clock which is not a
coordinate clock. So given this definition, yes you can ignore their own
clock times, because it isn't relevant. If your point is just "I don't like
this definition because it's different from how I would prefer to define
things" that's fine, but you can't claim that this way of speaking is
ill-defined or *internally* contradictory.

> When measuring tapes cross with different readings they do cross at the
> same point in space.

Yes, and that means if the point where they cross is the 30-cm mark on tape
#1 and the 40-cm mark on tape #2, then no matter what x-y coordinate system
you use to label different points on the surface where the tapes are laid
out, the 30-cm mark of tape #1 will have the same y-coordinate as the 40-cm
mark of tape #2 (and likewise for the x-coordinate).

> When twins with different clock times meet they meet at the same point in
> time.

Yes, and that means that if twin #1 is turning 30 at the point in spacetime
where they meet, and twin #2 is turning 40 at that point, then no matter
what x-y-z-t coordinate system you use to label different points in
spacetime, the event of twin #1 turning 30 will have the same t-coordinate
as the event of twin #2 turning 40 (and likewise for the spatial
coordinates x,y,z).

> It is NOT the same point in CLOCK time unless you redefine it as so by
> imposing another coordinate system on it that ignores the fact of the trip.

That's like saying "the point where the tapes cross is NOT the same point
in MEASURING TAPE space unless you redefine it as so by imposing another
coordinate system on it that ignores the fact of their paths in space."

> But this is cheating because you ignore the real actual clock time
> difference of the ages which don't go away.

That's like saying "but this is cheating because you ignore the real actual
measuring-tape difference of the position-markers which don't go away."

> The difference is that the tapes cross arbitrarily.

What makes their crossing "arbitrary"? To flesh this out a bit, I'm
imagining flexible cloth measuring tapes that can be used to measure length
along curving paths, not just straight-line ones. And I'm imagining that
they actually crossed once before, then took different paths to their
second crossing-point. At the first point where they cross, let's imagine
that both tapes have exactly the *same* marking at that point, and after
that they follow different paths until their paths cross again. This
corresponds to the fact that both twins have the same age at the common
point in spacetime that their paths diverge from, and then different ages
at the next common point in spacetime where they unite.

> The correct time analogy would be that the twins could start out with
> UNsynchronized clocks.

Not with the modification above, saying that at the first point where the
tapes diverge from a common point, their markings at that point are
identical.

> The clock readings are arbitrary depending on how they were originally
> set, just like the crossing point of the two tapes. But the difference is
> ages is real and absolute.

Likewise, the different in *intervals* measured along each tape between the
two crossing-points is real and absolute, regardless of what markings the
tapes "originally" had at the first crossing-point. But to make things
simpler, I'm assuming they both have the same marking at that first
crossing-point.

So your tape analogy doesn't address the problem. Only a common present
> moment does.

See above, I think the tape example is a spatial analogy to the twin
example where every measurable fact about the twins has an analogue with
the tape. It's even possible to define a spatial analogue of time dilation,
and of integrating the time dilation as a function of coordinate time in
order to find the total elapsed aging of each twin when they reunite...but
detailing the spatial analogue would take some time so I'll only go into it
if you think it would actually help you understand how relativity can be
understood in a goemetric manner.

Jesse