On 29 Mar 2014, at 10:24, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

On 29 March 2014 19:27, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 28 Mar 2014, at 23:41, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

On 29 March 2014 03:24, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 27 Mar 2014, at 18:21, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

A functionalist could agree that a computer can replicate his consciousness but it would not really be him. There is no explicit or implicit position on personal identity in functionalism.

This is weird. I guess you mean your notion of functionalism, which is too much general I think, but I was still thinking it could have a relation with "functionalism" in the math sense, where an object is defined by its functional relations with other objects, and the identity *is* in the functionality.

Then "function" is always used in two very different sense, especially in computer science, as it can be extensional function (defined by the functionality), or its intension (the code, the description, the "body").

Could your functionalist say yes to a doctor, which build the right computer (to replicate his consciousness), and add enough "original atoms" to preserve the identity? Is someone saying yes to that doctor, but only if a priest blesses the artificial brain with holy water a functionalist?

Can you describe an experience refuting functionalism (in your sense)?
Just to help me to understand. Thanks.

A person could conceivably say the following: it is impossible for a computer to be conscious because consciousness is a magical substance that comes from God. Therefore, if you make an artificial brain it may behave like a real brain, but it will be a zombie. God could by a miracle grant the artificial brain consciousness, and he could even grant it a similar consciousness to my own, so that it will think it is me.

Hmm... OK, but usually comp is not just that a computer can be conscious, but that it can be conscious (c= can support consciousness) in virtue of doing computation. That is why I add sometime "qua computatio" to remind this. If functionalism accept a role for a magical substance, it is obviously non computationalism.

Of course, the computer or computing device must be doing the computations; if not it is unconscious or only potentially consciousness.

I agree. A non working computer, or a frozen brain, or a Gödel number, cannot think (assuming comp) relatively to us (looking at the non working computer). The person itself might still think from her point of view, in a parallel reality or in arithmetic, etc. But this is because in that "parallel reality" the computer is supposed to work. If we could freeze all instantiations of that computer, the person associated with it would "absolutely" dead. Of course that is impossible to do.

However, it won't *really* be me, because it could only be me if we were numerically identical, and not even God can make two distinct things numerically identical.

Even with God. This makes the argument weird. Even if God cannot do that. But it can make sense, with "magic" matter, many things can make sense.

It's not so weird, since even God or magic can't do something logically impossible like make 1 = 2,

Is 1=2 logically impossible? I doubt this. It is certainly arithmetically impossible, but all propositions of arithmetic are independent of most logics.

and under one theory of personal identity (which by the way I think is completely wrong) that is what would have to happen for a person to survive teleportation.

From her first person points of view, in some non-comp theory.

I don't accept this position, but it is the position many people have on personal identity, and it is independent of their position on the possibility of computer consciousness.

OK.

I think you have to specify whether comp means merely that a computer simulation of a brain can be conscious or go the whole way with Bruno's conclusion that there is no actual physical computer and all possible computations are necessarily implemented by virtue of their status as platonic objects.

It is not so much in virtue of their status as platonic object (which seems to imply some metaphysical hypothesis), but in virtue of being true independently of my will, or even of the notion of universe, god, etc.

But there is the further notion of implementation. The obvious objection is that computations might be "true" but they cannot give rise to consciousness unless implemented on a physical computer.

Only IF you assume that one universal machine (the physical universe or some part of it) has a special (metaphysical) status, and that it plays a special role. Implementation in computer science is defined purely by a relation between a universal machine/number and a machine/number (which can be universal or not). u implements machine x if phi_u(x,y) = phi_x(y) for all y, and that can be defined in the theory quoted below.

A physicalist, somehow, just pick out one universal "being" and asserts that it is more fundamental. The computationalist know better, and know that the special physical universal machine has to win some competition below our substitution level.

But most computationalists are probably physicalists who believe that consciousness can only occur if an actual physical computer is using energy and heating up in the process of implementing computations.

Well, today we know that energy is needed only to clean the memory. A reversible computer will need only a small amont of energy to start the computation, but the computation itself does not require energy.

They don't believe that the abstract computation on its own is enough. They may be wrong, but that's what they think, and they call themselves computationalists.

Yes. You are right, most physicalists are like that. But they are wrong. They have to believe in some magical material action of matter which has to be non Turing emulable. No universal machine cannot distinguish locally if they are implemented in a brain-in-a-vat, or in arithmetic. The body by itself does not change the computation, or it would just mean that the level was not correct. Of course, some will just say that the primitively concrete implementation is needed to actualize that consciousness, and that all beings in arithmetic are zombies. But that's a reification of a metaphysical reality, which is bad philosophy, and besides, the step 8 should explain why this still introduce some non-comp magic in the relation between mind and matter.

Step 8 of the UDA says the physical computer is not necessary; which is a metaphysical position if anything is.

It is metaphysical, OK, but that is part of the subject matter. But it is not a "position" or "opinion", only a logical consequence, with some use of Occam, to be sure, as it is a consequence in *applied* logic. The whole meta-point is that we can do metaphysics and theology in the hypothetico-deductive way, free of a priori metaphysical assumption, except the "yes doctor", which is as much metaphysical than practical.

I think the "yes doctor" applies assuming computationalism AND assuming that personal identity is transferable, which are two separate things.

Not with computationalism as I have defined it. Nobody would say that he survived with a digital brain in the case his consciousness is preserved, but not his identity. Some could say yes to the doctor, because they want maximize the probability that their children will keep a parent as close as the "original" can be, but that is no more computationalism in the sense I use that term. In the literature many definition of comp are inconsistent, and very often by implicit or explicit physicalism. I explicitly illustrate a case of non-comp by this one, i.e. the one where the person keep consciousness, but is considered to be another person. Step 5 like argument, where there is no annihilation of the original, is often used by people to argue against comp, but still saving MEC-BEH (Behavioral or pure 3p mechanism).

I think you could extend the fading qualia argument into a fading identity argument. If your brain is substituted one neuron at a time, it is hard to imagine a state of partial identity, like it is hard to imagine a partial zombie. I think that if *my* consciousness" is preserved, my first person identity is preserved.

However, if computationalism is true and physicalism is false then it does also follow that personal identity is transferable, since one can't point to a particular implementation and say this one is me but that one isn't.

I think that this is a good point. Normally, step 8 shows the reciprocal, it shows that computationalism (in the definition I am using since the beginning where there is 1p identity preservation, that is used at each step!) entails that physicalism is quasi wrong" ( quasi wrong means wrong or invoking some reification or ontological commitment to block a logical consequence of a simpler theory).

As step 8 applies to the relation between comp and the plausible reality, it cannot be 100% logical, like steps 0-7 can arguably be. So, there are some moves making possible to say yes to the doctor and keeping primitive matter, but such moves need to refer to invisible inaccessible notion, non Turing emulable, nor mathematically definable and hard to relate to the mind, especially with the "qua computatio" of the comp survival.

Such solution are worst than invoking God to explain the universe, it is invoking God "just" to avoid a simpler (and testable) explanation of the (appearance of universes). It looks close to irrationalism to me, and doubly so, with the "Everett data", where the weird also confirms the simpler.