> On 4 Aug 2014, at 10:09 am, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> On 8/3/2014 4:27 PM, Kim Jones wrote:
>>> On 4 Aug 2014, at 5:46 am, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> What about "multiple personality disorder" ? Are they the same person? (I'd
>>> guess not)
>> Why? There is a weaker, culturally acceptable version of this in the concept
>> of the "parallel lives" we all lead. Now don't tell me you are all just one
>> identity. You don't necessarily have to be one of the British House of Lords
>> to like the whips and the leathers and the Nazi uniforms during sex, yet a
>> paragon of moderation humility and chastity in your day job - sorry that's
>> just an example, I'm sure your imaginations can do better. Nobody is "just
>> one person". Life offers us all roles to play. De Bono felt this was one
>> area where human perception was at its finest. You can have all sorts of
>> relationships with other people. Each one of these relationships is a kind
>> of universe, a life, a computational stream. It has its own identity. Why
>> limit yourself to just one?
>
> They are *roles* and they are *played* by one person; that's what makes them
> roles.  What makes the person one is consistency of memories and interactions.
>
> Brent

They are all played sequentially by one subject (with the constraint of the
FPI) but the person is the totality of all the roles played, all lives led at
all times and in all places by that subject as smeared (streamed?) over the
multiverse. A knower is associated to a machine but there are infinite parallel
computations.

I think we might allow that one individual can be implicated in many parallel
histories that do not converge in any sense except a 3p description. I don't
think you have to be a schizophrenic or suffering from MPD to merit the
description of a "plural self." Many selves feel divided. You can always say to
someone that this is just their MPD and not real but that's 3p. People who
cross-dress for example, often feel that they become another person when they
wear the underwear of the opposite sex. This is generally true of the effect of
clothes and fashion in general. The whole point of having 150 different pairs
of shoes is so that each of your 150 different outfits is rendered effectively
to articulate each of your 150 different selves. Whether any of this is
actually true in any 3p explicit and public way is of no consequence at all.

Kim