> On 18 Aug 2014, at 5:33 am, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> Is there a kind of soul that is independent of memory but is a "person"?

Well, you'd want to hope so by now, surely. After all, if there isn't, then....
"What's It All (been) About, Alfie?"

No cul-de-sacs. Consciousness sails on via FPI. You cannot experience a
no-world world, so there is (apparently) no rest "rest eternal" for the wicked
or the poor by ducking into a "death world" where you cease to exist.

Existence for consciousness is mandatory; obviously. Consciousness then
mandates "unconsciousness" or the dreamworld repository of all those things
about our archetypal self we cannot experience at will but are subjected to via
dreams, premonitions, intuitions, hunches, wisdom of all sorts.

The amnesiac no-memory-between-instantiations thing might be explained by the
fact that every possible instantiation of you is up and running right now and
there are now very many histories smeared across the MV. Which memories would
you default to following death in one universe? Why don't I possess a memory
spanning from Gronk the Caveman all the way through lives scattered over 200 or
so thousand years of homo sapiens to me here right now? Must have something to
do with that god damned first person thing again. Bruno should get the Nobel
Prize for discovering FPI. But a person is a very stable thing. Quantum
Immortality: "a conscious entity cannot cease to exist". That's a good basic
definition of a "person". Perhaps. A stable information pattern that persists
and is self-conscious. Could live happily on a hard disk somewhere.

Kim