On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 2:35 AM, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

> On 22/04/2016 2:46 pm, Jesse Mazer wrote:
>
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 11:25 PM, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au
> > wrote:
>
>> On 22/04/2016 12:53 pm, Jesse Mazer wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 9:49 PM, Bruce Kellett <
>> <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>bhkell...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>>

>>> The point here is that some combinations of results are forbidden. How
>>> can this happen?
>>>

>> By the appropriate matching rules for locally-generated copies in
>> different locations, as in my toy model. There's no reason you can't have
>> something similar in a more general model, which I think is exactly what
>> people like Rubin are presenting.
>>

>> The best I can make of this is that you have some theory that is not
>> quantum mechanics. Quantum mechanics does not give any such "matching rules"
>>

> It's important to distinguish between theories of physics and the
> mathematical models used to express them--a physical theory is defined
> entirely by the predictions about observable outcomes, not any elements of
> the model that are not directly measurable even in principle. For example,
> curved spacetime is not essential to general relativity as a theory, though
> it is a feature of the most commonly-used mathematical model (there is an
> alternate formulation that only uses flat spacetime, but has a field
> defined on this spacetime which varies the length of rulers and the ticking
> rate of clocks at different points in the spacetime, and physicists would
> still call this 'general relativity'). Likewise, a state vector in Hilbert
> space is not essential to quantum mechanics as a theory. And if one *could*
> come up with a model involving "matching rules" that would be equivalent in
> its predictions about observable measurement results as the existing
> mathematical models, this would merely be a new mathematical model for the
> same physical theory.
>

> It would seem that you are not a physicist! What you claim here about
> physics is actually quite contentious. It seems to constitute an extreme
> form of instrumentalism.

I don't think that's the case, I'm basically just talking about how
physicists *define* the physical content of a theory. But it would help if
you would define what you mean by "instrumentalism". For example, some
articles I found googling the term seem to say that it suggests we should
not assign any "reality" to elements of the theory beyond the predictions
about empirical measurements; I would say any talk of "reality" beyond
measurements is more of a philosophical issue than a scientific one, but I
don't see anything wrong with having opinions on such philosophical issues.
In particular, if there is an element that seems to show up in *all* our
mathematical models, like the notion of an "electron" which isn't absent
from any formulation of quantum electrodynamics, it certainly makes sense
to me to call it "real". Likewise, although we can't ever get evidence that
space and matter continue beyond the boundary of the observable universe,
it would require a very contrived model to avoid it (one which treated us
as being at the exact center of real space, for example), so disbelieving
it would to me seem like a ridiculous philosophical view, akin to solipsism
(speaking of which, I could also potentially come up with a solipsistic
interpretation of quantum physics in which I and only I am capable of
collapsing the wavefunction with my observations, but this would seem
equally ridiculous despite the fact that I can't come up with any
experiment that would falsify it for me).

Also, it seems from my googling that many instrumentalists would define the
validity of scientific theories solely in terms of what we humans can
actually verify in principle, giving up the notion of any objective truth
about nature independent of what humans know. If so, I am not taking this
position either. I'm saying the physical content of a theory is defined in
terms of the complete set of predictions about things that could *in
principle* be measured by some arbitrarily advanced physical being at the
right place and time (so the fact that we may have no way of verifying most
of the predictions of string theory at any time in the forseeable theory
does not disqualify it as a scientific theory, for example), and I
personally believe there is some objective truth about what mathematical
relationship describes the complete set of in-principle-measurable facts
about our physical universe.

The basic point I was making with my point about physics theories vs.
mathematical models is that I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the modern
physics community would define a physics theory in terms of its predictions
about in-principle-measurable facts, and if two mathematical models can be
proved to be identical in *all* their predictions about such facts, then
they are defined to be different models of the "same theory", not different
theories. Do you disagree with this narrow claim? I can point to plenty of
examples of physicists who do treat different models with identical
predictions as the same theory. For example, earlier I mentioned the
alternate formulation of general relativity which gets rid of any notion of
curved spacetime, replacing it with a field that shrinks rulers and slows
down clocks differently in different regions of spacetime. I learned about
this formulation from Kip Thorne's book "Black Holes and Time Warps" where
after discussing this alternate form he writes on p. 400: "What is the
real, genuine truth? Is spacetime really flat, as the above paragraphs
suggest, or is it really curved? To a physicist like me this is an
uninteresting question because it has no physical consequences. Both
viewpoints, curved spacetime and flat, give precisely the same predictions
for any measurements performed with perfect rulers and clocks, and also (it
turns out) the same predictions for any measurements performed with any
kind of physical apparatus whatsoever. ... They disagree as to whether that
measured distance is the 'real' distance, but such a disagreement is a
matter of philosophy, not physics. Since the two viewpoints agree on the
results of all experiments, they are physically equivalent. ... Moreover,
physicists can and do use the two viewpoints interchangeably when trying to
deduce the predictions of general relativity."

I think that pretty unambiguously supports the point of view I described,
don't you? And Kip Thorne is one of the leading researchers in general
relativity (see
https://cosmolearning.org/courses/overview-of-gravitational-wave-science-400/about-the-professor/
for an overview of his contributions), so I think he has pretty good
authority to speak for how the physics community in general thinks about
these matters. But if you're not convinced by that, let me know if you want
me to look for more quotes, I'm sure I could find similar comments in the
context of other theories--for example, are you aware that quantum physics
has multiple mathematical models for generating predictions, like the
"Schroedinger picture" (which deals with a quantum state vector that
changes with time while measurement operators stay constant), the
"Heisenberg picture" (which deals with a quantum state vector that remains
fixed forever, while the measurement operators change with time), and the
Feynman path integral (based on summing amplitudes to all possible paths a
particle could take to get to a given location, to find the total amplitude
of finding it there)? But physicists definitely view them all as
formulations of the same theory, "quantum mechanics", not different
theories. Likewise, when discussing different interpretations of QM like
the MWI and Bohmian mechanics, physicists will regularly point out that
these are not really distinct physical theories, which is the whole reason
they use the alternate term "interpretation".

If you do disagree with this point of view on what constitutes a theory of
physics, can you point to *any* modern (mainstream) physicists who clearly
say something different, pointing to examples of models that they
acknowledge make identical predictions but which they still argue should be
considered distinct theories of physics?

> If a physical theory is determined only by the predictions it gives for
> the results of experiments, I am puzzled by why you should have such a
> strong reaction against the notion of non-locality. The non-local
> calculations of standard QM give a completely straightforward mathematical
> model for calculating probabilities; a model that is, in the terms of of
> other physical theories, phenomenally successful. If your only concern is
> to get an instrument to predict experimental results (probabilities), why
> should you worry whether the theory is non-local or not? According to you,
> the mathematical model has nothing to do with physical reality (whatever
> that is). The anti-realist would have no worries about such trivia.

Again, I never said I was an anti-realist, it's just that I distinguish
between questions of philosophy and questions of physics, as Kip Thorne did
in the comment of his I quoted. It's only as a philosophical matter that I
find the many-worlds picture more plausible, but I certainly don't think
there are any knockdown arguments against the idea that the reality
underlying the observations involves some genuine non-locality, it's a
totally plausible perspective. I'm curious though, what gave you the
impression I have a "strong reaction" against non-locality? I have been
trying to argue one point and one point only, that there is no knockdown
argument *against* the possibility of a local model which reproduces all
the predictions of existing models of QM, akin to Bell's theorem which does
provide a rigorous proof that you can't have a "local realist" model
(involving unique measurement) that reproduces those predictions. *You*
seemed to be arguing that there was such a definitive argument against a
local version of QM, and that was basically the only reason I decided
jumped into the discussion--did I misunderstand you on this point, or was
it just a matter of your defining "QM" to include aspects of existing
models which go beyond the predictions about in-principle-measurable facts?
If you are in fact arguing that there is good reason to be 100% sure no
local model can even reproduce the empirical predictions of QM, then please
give your argument, since I already showed that Bell's argument isn't
sufficient to establish this if you allow for a
multiple-local-copies-with-matching model.

> But you are clearly deeply worried about non-locality, which says to me
> that you are not a thorough-going instrumentalist after all. So that you
> say above about mathematical models being the only concern is all all just
> so much hogwash -- you are actually concerned that your physical theories
> conform to your own particular set of philosophical prejudices.
>
> That is your concern, but you cannot expect me to share it. I take an
> instrumental (or epistemic) view of the wave function of QM. That is to
> say, I view it as a mathematical object that can be used to claculate the
> probabilities for experimental outcomes, but it is not a real physical
> thing in the same sense as chairs and tables, the earth and the moon, are
> real physical things. If the wave function is not physical, then there is
> no physical collapse when a measurement is made, there is only a change in
> our knowledge, and the wave function changes instantaneously to reflect
> this change. In just the same way, our probability function for the outcome
> of a horse race, or of a lottery, changes instantaneously once we learn the
> actual outcome. From this perspective, MWI is just a ridiculously baroque
> construction designed to preserve some persons' realist prejudices that the
> wave function is a real physical object, like a chair or a table.

I don't assume the wave function is a real physical object--both
Deutsch/Hayden and Rubin seem to say that to formulate the MWI in a local
way you have to use some version of the Heisenberg picture, where all the
dynamics are described by changes in the local operators, not a changing
global wavefunction (a static wavefunction is still used, but this seems
more like a calculational tool than anything else, and perhaps it would be
possible to modify things so that the same static wavefunction was used for
all systems, and one simply adjusted the initial states of the operators to
get the right predictions for initial measurements on the system). My
philosophical preference for the MWI basically just stems from the fact
that it gives an objective description of the physical state of every
region of spacetime (not just the ones we humans observe), and a single set
of equations for the time-evolution, without any hidden variables that
break some of the nice symmetries seen in the basic equations (Bohmian
mechanics seems to require breaking Lorentz-symmetry, and also seems to
require putting the position operator on a special footing). As for what is
"real", my opinion is that if the MWI is true, all the "copies" of a system
that arise in the model should be treated as having equal physical reality,
in particular I think other copies of human beings or other intelligent
beings that would arise in the formalism should be assumed to be just as
conscious as the ones we see (this is similar to the belief that if the
universe continues on beyond the observable region we can measure, any
intelligent life which arises outside our observable bubble should be
assumed to be just as conscious as ourselves). Beyond this I don't see a
need to assume other more abstract aspects of the model, like operators or
a wavefunction, would be "real".

But these are just my personal philosophical opinions, I am not trying to
convince you that you should adopt them. Again, the only reason I jumped in
on this discussion was because you seemed to be making the argument that
there was some definitive proof that a many-worlds-type model cannot
possibly reproduce all the predicted observations of QM in a local way (and
in any arbitrary patch of spacetime, as I clarified later), so please tell
me whether you in fact believe this is impossible, or if you're just
skeptical but can't say for sure that it can't be done.

> Of course, modern developments in black hole theory and cosmology render
> the whole debate about locality otiose. The currently popular theory of
> holography is necessarily completely non-local; and in a way that makes EPR
> correlations look tame.

If you have an argument as to why holography is absolutely incompatible
with any local model involving multiple copies of the physical facts at
each point in spacetime, please present it. String theory in its current
form is formulated in the framework of quantum field theory, although
things like dualities hint at an (unknown) background-independent
formulation (some string theorists do think that things like holography
indicate the background-independent form will be more explicitly nonlocal,
but you can find plenty of other string theorists who disagree, it's a
speculative question at present). And if you leave out any notion of
"collapse" from quantum field theory it is said to be a theory that does
respect locality, I don't understand the details but apparently it has to
do with the fact that measurement operators with a spacelike separation
always commute, see http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Local_operator for
example.

> So I don't think I will waste more time trying to convince you that the
> standard non-local quantum theory is perfectly adequate for the explanation
> of all observed phenomena in its domain.

Of course I agree with that statement 100%, but it has nothing to do with
the seeming claims of yours that I've been disputing.

Jesse