On 17 May 2017 2:34 p.m., "Bruno Marchal" <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 17 May 2017, at 14:08, David Nyman wrote:

computationalist context and have come to the conclusion that I don't
really understand it. So let's consider CT + YD. YD means accepting the
replacement of all or part of my brain with a digital prosthesis. Now,
whatever theory the doctor may vouchsafe me with respect to the function of
this device, the replacement will FAPP be, in the first (and last)
instance, a physical one. IOW after the procedure some are all of my
neurological function will be have been replaced by digital componentry
(presumably some species of logic gates) that putatively (sufficiently)
faithfully mirrors the function of the biology that has been replaced. From
any extrinsic perspective, all that will have happened (assuming the
success of the procedure) is that the net physical behaviour of my generic
brain will have been preserved to the required extent. Notice that there is
no necessary reference to computation per se so far, however much we may
wish to appeal to it in explicating what is "actually" supposed to have
occurred.

individual neurons, by pig neuron. But, even here, some implicit
computationalism is used, in case you agree that the new neurons keep the
same finitely describable functions. If, not, the very idea of that
transplant tends to be irrational. You might accept pig's neurons because
you believe that pig neurons are as much divine than human one, to give an
example.

that my behaviour will continue to covary systematically with the net
physical action of my generic brain, but there is no necessary reference to
computation in this.

neuron can be judged to have the right functional properties, and if such
explanation is possible in finite time, some mechanist assumption is used.

alone, there would seem to be no further criteria to satisfy. However, with
the additional assumption of CT, it would still seem necessary to make a
further step towards explicating the relation between the above mentioned
net physical action and the relevant spectrum of computation deemed to
underlie both it and the (perceptually) substantial terms in which it is
subjectively made manifest. The use of the word "net" in the above is
noteworthy as a little reflection will remind us that, no matter how many
"layers" of software are in principle being implemented on a given
hardware, the only relevant observable consequence is their net physical
effect, which may be rendered entirely minimal, or even be approximated
adventitiously.

a consequence of the net perceptual integration (aka the psychology) of an
infinity of digital machines. We can say this because of the formal
equivalence of the class of such machines. This in effect equates, in a
certain relevant sense, to their having a single such psychology, or
monopsychism, albeit one that must be highly compartmentalised by
programming and the contents of memory. In this sense, it may be possible
to analogise this monopsychic perceptual position as akin to that of a
multitasking OS running on a single "processor". There are at least two
aspects to the physics of which we speak. The most obvious aspect is the
observed behaviour of any physical system under study, which must always be
rendered in terms of the net change in some set of concrete perceptual
markers (e.g. the classic needle and dial). The second aspect is however
unobservable in principle and consists of an abstract set of transition
rules between physical states (assumed to be finitely computable, according
to CTM) between observations. For present purposes, we may perhaps consider
these rules to be represented by the wave equation which describes the
unitary evolution of physical states.

mechanism hypothesis, à-la Penrose).

are we to suppose that the computations representing the abstract unitary
transition "rules" of the wavefunction (i.e. the second, abstract, part
above) are *the selfsame ones* that, (under an alternative but putatively
compatible logical interpretation) are supposed also to explicate the
concrete perceptions in terms of which the observations (i.e. the first,
perceptual, part) are made?

follow if the Hamiltonian itself is computable. Now, it is not too much
difficult to build (mathematically) a non computable hamiltonian. There is
no evidence this exists in "nature", but logically, computationalism can be
false (and in that case, a digital substitution will no more work a priori,
or just by pure chance, of "just" by the will of some supernatural or
non-Turing emulable entity).

supervened both on computation (under one interpretation) and observed
physical action (under a different but compatible one).

perception can depend crucially on physical actions, but physical actions
might (and have to) emerge from arithmetic.

the conjunction of observed​ relations between concrete perceptual objects
and an abstract set of "fundamental" transition rules in terms of which
these relations can be both formulated and predicted.

related to the p of Bp & p. Recoverable by the FPI I guess. Hence what I
term above "the relation between concrete perceptual objects" is how
correspondence with the facts is primarily established, whether that be a
reading on a dial or the abstraction of the intuitive arithmetical notion
of 2 from two objects, or from the symbol "2" for that matter. In my view,
that is. What happens next is a separate matter.

that case perception comes from random inputs to the cortex made by the
cerebral stem (in Hobson theory), and the feeling that we perceive things
is build up by the brain. few people would say that this is a perception.

consistent covariant externality.

consistent covariant externality?

we are likely to be deluded about
apparatus. That doesn't of course mean that the functioning of that
apparatus, or of the organism as a whole, is by that token disconnected
from the
state.

measure is closer to 1. It is more "normal" in the Gaussian sense. The
delusion comes to a stop when we realize that there is no "external
reality" except for the "arithmetical reality". That would be like the
"enlighten state", and/or perhaps death.

The "p" in Bp & p is an arithmetical proposition.

I don't always say this explicitly, but on the basis that comp is being
assumed in the argument you can rely on that being my meaning.​

apparatus in semi-isolation from its normal input channels.

infinitely many input channels. Those comes from the infinitely many
universal numbers with oracles competing below our substitution level.

communicable "belief in", or procedural commitment to, a finite set of
rules)

is a detail. We can generate UD* wilth a finite set of rules, but each
observer created in UD*, once Löbian, use infinite set of rules in general
(but that is a recursive set, so we staty in the mechanist frame).

observation is when the dream fits some reality. Bp & p becomes "I dream of
an apple" and there is an apple. The relation between both []p and p will
be statistical, hoping the measure that we get from S4Grz1 (in this case)
will work.

finite set of rules" is meant to imply that belief, in this context, is to
be taken to refer to much more than, say, a merely verbal expression.
Rather it implies the commitment of an entire organism to this set of
procedures.

correspondence between perceptual facts) implied by that belief?

never know if we are awake. We can know that we are dreaming, but we can't
know that we are awake.

trust, or as you would have it, bet) that we are dreaming extremely
consistently and pervasively.​ And if that be so the distinction between
that dreaming and reality becomes otiose.

(sigma_1) p behave or should behave like physical propositions, when we
take the views (Bp & p, Bp & Dt, Bp & Dt & p) into account. physics is
ultimate in that sense: it needs the statistics on the arithmetical
computations.

of the machine-psychological reversal, then physics and computation reach a
kind of virtuous explanatory circularity, as Brent often points out.​ One
hand washes the other, as the Russians say.

"bisimulation between G and Z (or between G1* and Z1*, ...). But we don't
have this with the S4Grz1, or with X1*. One russian hand is bigger and
deeper than the other. My image is that the physical is somehow the
clothes, or the border of the universal mind (the mind of the "virgin"
Löbian machine, or perhaps already the universal machine in general. You
are trying to use intuition at the place where I prefer to use the
counter-intuitive logic of self-reference. It is OK, as long as we don't
get a contradiction with the math.

ground with Brent. As my most recent comments elsewhere imply, although
physics and computation are inextricably entangled in an explanatory
embrace as a consequence of the reversal, exactly what each can be taken as
explaining is not precisely coequal. Physical explanation is
situated within the domain of appearance (alternatively, what is observable
or open to interpretation). Consequently it can be taken as explaining net
transformations in those appearances. Computational explanation seeks to
give an account of how, why and from whose point of view those appearances
come to exist, to the extent that such an account can be rendered. To that
extent, the abstract or mathematical component of physics is itself
computational (insofar as its predicted transformations ​are finitely
computable), but its observable component cannot be so considered without
becoming poisoned by intractable ambiguities.

>>> Exactly. I might try to add some possible mathematical precision, but I
need to think a bit on this. Later. Up to now, the B of Bp & p is
interpreted by its computational rendering, but "B" is really provability,
and not computation. Up to here, that absence of distinction works well
(indeed for a very deep and subtle reason related to Mechanism), but for
the precision I want to add, I will need to make the distinction.

>>> Are you, and others, OK with those facts:
>>>
>>> RA cannot prove the consistency of RA. PA cannot prove the consistency
of PA, etc.

>>> But:
>>>
>>> PA can prove the consistency of RA.
>>>
>>> Now the key fact which I intend to use is that RA can prove that PA can
prove the consistency of RA. In fact RA can prove also that F can prove the
consistency of PA, and of RA.

>>> Despite this RA cannot be convinced that those facts prove its own
consistency (by incompleteness).

>> Interesting. I think I get your point to the extent that computable is a
claim about the formal definability of procedure itself (which IIRC was the
goal of Turing's original paper OCN). Provable is by contrast a truth
claim: IOW something or other is being shown (i.e. with respect to some
point of view) to be the case, i.e. to correspond to some set of
(perspectival) facts. So on this account RA itself is not in a position by
itself to command​ such a view of the facts of its own consistency, but it
can nevertheless grasp logically that PA is in a position to do so.

>> As a (very) rough and partial analogy, if I am on deck, and you are
observing me from aloft, I can grasp that you are in a position to command
an entire domain of such personally "unprovable" facts about me, despite my
not being in a position​ to access them. Such personally unprovable facts
might also bear directly on questions of my own consistency, for example if
I were forced to rely on them in some crucial sense. Say you offered from
your superior perspective to "be my eyes" in guiding my survival through
some risky predicament below. I might choose to trust that guidance under
hazard despite being in no position to prove independently the correctness
of such a critical viewpoint. So in such a situation I might be unable to
be unambiguously convinced of my own consistency but nonetheless choose to
trust in it implicitly in order to promote my survival.

>> Of course this particular intuition pump is more than likely to prove
somewhat leaky :(

> It makes concrete sense, but eventually, it leads to the most used theory
in the applied human science: the boss is right. But that theory has its
advantage in all crucial and time scheduled situation, like with the
military: you can't discuss an order, the enemy would swallow you before
you get to the conclusion. We need, in some resource limited circumstances,
to trust the eye of the other. Human evolution and history benefits a lot
from that.

Yes, I think the analogy leaked too much in the end, but​ I won't attempt
to patch it up at this point. Sometimes I articulate a thought intuitively
to see if it might help move my understanding along, even (or perhaps
especially) if it may be wrong in some way.

>>> This can be compared with I can emulate Einstein's brain, without being
able to understand anything said by Einstein during that emulation.

>> Although crucially I can grasp that, from some perspective, there is an
Einstein who is indeed saying something​.

> Absolutely. The points is that it is not you. Even if you could mentally
simulate Einstein's brain in real time, it would still be Einstein who does
the thinking, and Einstein would be conscious. Your own consciousness would
not change, except for the mental, but simple, task to imitate a brain of
another person. When a A computer run a program, he does not become that
program. That was also Searles' main mistake in his chinese-room argument.
If I can emulate the brain of a chinese person, I might fake to be chinese,
but I don't become a guy who know chinese. I might do a conference in
chinese, without understanding anything "I" would say. But the chinese guy
I am emulating would be conscious and would do that conference, through me,
so to speak.

> Similarly, When RA proves that ZF proves the consistency of RA, RA might
not, and actually will not, understand it. But ZF, will, and this by being
enabled by RA.

> It is good to keep in mind that computation (and simulation) are absolute
notions, they do not depend on which formal system enable(s) them. But
provability is a relative notion. The Bp is already a point of view.
Computations are just a "real" absolute part of the arithmetical reality.
Provable(p) is real only for this or that machine/number.

Yes, I've grasped that more clearly now I think. That's why I said above
that:

"..... computable is a claim about the formal definability of procedure
itself (which IIRC was the goal of Turing's original paper OCN). Provable
is by contrast a truth claim: IOW something or other is being shown (i.e.
with respect to some point of view) to be the case, i.e. to correspond to
some set of (perspectival) facts. So on this account RA itself is not in a
position by itself to command​ such a view of the facts of its own
consistency, but it can nevertheless grasp logically that PA is in a
position to do so."

Does this make sense?

>> Of course, were a maximally lazy creator to content itself with devising
the UD widget, it could thereby invoke both all possible emulations and
their associated understandings​ without the possibility of anticipating
any consequence whatsoever. We, its creatures, by contrast can grasp the
consequential existence of points of view within which such understandings
can be situated.

> Exactly. And that situation is a relative notion, and the first person is
somehow associated to the many arithmetical relations enacting each of
them, and the logic relating them.

> I probably read you too much quickly. My only worry was that you took the
reference to an external physical reality too much seriously, a bit like
Brent seems to do sometimes.

Well as I've said, assuming comp, and to be short, I don't always spell out
the relevant distinctions as explicitly as I have tried to do recently but
you may assume that if I were to be reasoning in another theory I'd do my
best to make this clear.

Note that Brent is mostly correct, but what he inferred from that is not
always correct. We can refer to physics and physical implementations, and
environments, but we can't invoke them to explain why consciousness would
be produced by a brain, still less that brain exist "really".
> I understand finally why you did put "quotes" on "external reality".

Ah yes. Pay attention to the quotes ;)

Your argument seems entirely comp-valid now

Good!

David

> Bruno
>

>> David
>>

>>> This is important to understand that "provable" is very different from
computable/simulable.

>>> OK?  (More on this later)

>>> Bruno

an halting computation, or a number. The physical appears only for Bp & p
(with p sigma_1), or better, with Bp & ~B~p & p.

characteristic of the necessary physics (i.e. the second, abstract, part)
that would permit it to be singled out perceptually from the dross of the
computational Babel in this way would it be sufficiently "robust" in the
relevant sense. That robustness would consist firstly in the capacity to
stabilise the emulation of an (ultimately monopsychic) class of perceptual
machines. And secondly in that the necessary machine psychology would
supervene on common computational transition rules resulting in a
(sufficiently) consistent covariance with a concrete externality as
perceived by those selfsame machines.

substitution level, we need to single it out of the infinitely many
universal machine which compete to provide your next state. OK?

by the views might play a role in weighing the computations as seen by a
subject.

narrative consistency, pervasiveness and stability imposed *by that very
logical structure​*. So what would have to predominate, for this view to be
plausible, is the net monopsychic effect of a relatively pervasive
remembering (literally "putting together") of those compelling and
consistent personal narratives. This may be conceived as the "positive"
pole of a sort of subjective ambiguity, whose "negative" antipole is an at
least equally pervasive forgetfulness and cancelling out of consequence, to
the effective relative exclusion of the myriad competing subjectively
pathological fragments. My rough analogy in this case, you may recall, was
akin to having your attention totally riveted by a very compelling and
coherent speaker standing very close to you. The thought then is that the
competing babble of random fragments emanating from a noisy surrounding
environment cannot compete, with any lasting consequence, relative to that
repertoire of powerful and consistently connected narratives.

machine points of view. It is these characteristics that in effect would
extract the necessary first-person plural measure, if this view of the
matter is ultimately to succeed. As discussed before, it would be necessary
for pathological segments of narrative (aka white rabbits) to mutually
cancel or be swamped (from the first-person perspective) in the monopsychic
measure struggle between forgetting and remembering. I don't know if the
various intuitive analogies I've sketched recently are any help in thinking
about this. I rather liked the one about the compelling orator and the
background of babble.

would then be what we call physics and the computational physics so
particularised would in effect be distinguished by its intrinsic capacity
for self-interpretation and self-observation.

the computationalist assumptions or inferences make such a very specific
conjunction plausible?

we have no other theory except for fairy tales). The conjunction in Bp & p
is added (by Theaetetus) because Socrates, like Gödel for provability,
destroys  the link between Bp and p. Most people would say that when we
prove things (=when we justify things rationally), it ought to be true. But
Socrates said that some people can be wrong in their reasoning, or can have
false premise, or that we could dream, etc.), and Gödel shows that no
correct machine can prove its own Bp -> p, nor its own Bp <-> (Bp & p). We
need faith all the time, in "real life", but we can reason on simpler (but
still Löbian) than us machine, and lift, privately, the theology of that
machine on us. But that is at our risk and peril, all the times, and it
becomes explicit with the "yes doctor".

"true" that have frequently been missed in these conversations. ​The first
nuance is that there is a primary truth entailed by Bp which is simply the
perceptual "facts" it implies.

knows its primary truth beyond doubt.

machine can actually prove, Bp -> p will be provable "trivially" (in
classical and intuitionist logic, of you can prove p, you can prove
(<anything> -> p). Note that for a machine which is unsound Bp & p can be
actually false, in fact p can be false. It is madness: case where we know
something false. That does not exist in my setting, because I limit myself
to correct machine.

action to take as a consequence.

measure exists. To see is just to believe/dream relatively to a normal
sheaf of computations.

semantics implied by the syntax of Bp) won't lead it into mistaken belief
or action.

without any necessary entailment to a consistently covarying externality.
This, as mentioned above, can be considered an ineliminable artefact of the
perceptual apparatus. It is only after this primary fact (i.e. the second
nuance) that considerations of consistent reference to such an externality
can be considered, and it is at this point that we can fall into error and
be deluded. As you say above, we can never be absolutely sure what our
dreams refer to, since the perceptual apparatus must be substantially the
same in all cases. Hence we can only believe and act in good faith.

help to keep in mind that there is no physical reality: only dreams.

perhaps. No problem, we need a lot of such pump, perhaps a different one
for each individuals.

observation is when the dream is arithmetically probable. Immediate feeling
is when the dream is probable and true.

everything-list@googlegroups.com.
https://groups.google.com/group/everything-list.