On 03-06-2017 02:10, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On 3/06/2017 9:16 am, smitra wrote:

In a single universe theory, this implies non-locality, because of the absence of local hidden variables. If local hidden variable were to exist then you could say that Alice and Bob where to find whatever they found anyway only due to their local interactions with the spins and polarizers. But with that ruled out, whatever Alice will find is information that just popped into existence when Bob made his measurement.

What is ruled out by Bell's theorem is that local hidden variables can
account for all possible correlations between the observations, Bell's
theorem does not rule out the possibility of a local hidden variable
explanation in special cases, like that of polarizers set at the same
angle.

Either there exists a local hidden variable theory from which QM can be derived or such a theory doesn't exist. If we assume that a local hidden variable theory underlies QM, then we find that regardless of the details, it cannot reproduce QM in certain cases. Bell inequalities can be derived for such theories that QM violates. Then, with QM confirmed and in particular the violations of the Bell inequalities conformed, we can then discard any local hidden variables theory.

This means that even in cases that do not involve violations of Bell inequalities, we can still say that there are no local hidden variables that can explain the results in those experiments, because we've verified that there is no hidden variable theory that can reproduce QM.

Then it suffices to consider a simple case of entanglement between two spins where in a single universe interpretation there is non-local behavior, e.g. Alice and Bob measuring the z-components of a system of two spin 1/2 particles in the singlet state. You may consider more complex cases where Alice randomly chooses another direction, but I remember from a previous discussion that this led to a disagreement about how to treat the source of this randomness.

Ultimately all randomness has a quantum mechanical origin as pointed out in this article:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1212.0953

There simply exists no known way to get to purely classical randomness.

In the case where both polarizers have the same setting, the fact that Bob knows what Alice will find poses a problem for locality because local hidden variables have been ruled out. So, what Alice will find is random, new information will appear at her place after she measures the spin that didn't previously exist locally. But the fact that Bob could predict her result means that this information did exist at Bob's place. This demonstrates the non-locality aspect of single universe theories.

Then in the MWI, Alice is identical in the two branches, so her measurement result is not predetermined as she is not yet located in either of Bob's branches. Her measurement result will do that.

If we change the set-up by letting Alice choose different setting of her polarizer to bring in the additional baggage of having to rule out hidden variables within the same experiment so that non-locality arguments have to be re-argued based on that, then that's not going to add anything but confusion.

Saibal