On 04 Jun 2017, at 08:52, Telmo Menezes wrote:

Sure, we can take the same drug and talk about our experiences, and

conclude that they were similar. And they probably were. But
ultimately, there is a language grounding problem. We have no way of
comparing qualia, private experience. I cannot even verify
experimentally that you are indeed conscious. I assume it
heuristically, that's all.

OK. Let me tell you how I think about it, heuristically at least, as you say. From my first-personal perspective, 'you' - that is your body - can only ever be said to be "conscious' in the brutely covariate sense. For that matter, the same goes for my observation of my own body. As you say, there's no conceivable objective test that could establish more than this. Nor - and this is telling - would anything more than neurocognition, at least in principle, be required to account for your, or my own, observable behaviour.

I agree.

I think we need to accept that this is indeed telling us something. But what? In my view it's telling us to stop thinking of consciousness as being
'explained' exclusively with reference to its observable physical
correlates. IOW this is possibly a paradigm case of the distinction between
correlation and causation.

Yes, this is all I'm saying too!

The alternative - shorn of its uniquely a
posteriori relation with one's own consciousness - would be in effect simply to accept that physical behaviour is its own 'explanation'. This is the conclusion Brent urges on us and I can respect this position without being
content with it myself.

Right, I can also understand Brent's positions. One of the reasons why
I am not satisfied with such a position is that consciousness appears
to be unnecessary from an intelligence / Darwinian standpoint. It
appears that Darwinism + neuroscience/computer science can explain the
emergence of our behaviour in non-conscious zombies. It has been
argued that it could be a spandrel, a by-product of the evolutionary
process. I have no problem with that -- in fact I am betting this is
the case, because I doubt that a non-conscious human-level
intelligence is possible. But I still want to know why.

Every time a problem baffles us, and people suggest that: "look, it's
just a brute fact", I can't help but feel that this stance is very
akin to saying "the gods did it". One of the things I like about
Bruno's work is that I fell that he, at least, provides a theory on
why it looks so mysterious to us.

What also baffles me is why some people can't see the mystery. I don't
think this is the case with Brent though, I think he is a pragmatist
-- which is a perfectly reasonable thing to be.

To go beyond this, as for example Bruno is attempting to do with the comp
theory, requires an explanatory schema that somehow manages both to
transcend and encapsulate the explication of conscious phenomena in
exclusively reductive terms. And to strip this move of any sense of
arbitrariness or avoidance of the problem we also need to show that this is a necessary consequence of situating those phenomena adequately within a tractable theory of knowledge. Such a theory will then focus on explicating a characteristic logic of consciousness in terms of what is perceptible or not, what is doubtable or not, what is communicable or not, and so forth. And of course a crucial component of this must be the relation of these categories to the dynamics of the necessarily correlated 'physics of the
observable'.

Yes, this is something I would like to see Bruno talk about more: how
he hopes to derive physics from his theory.

By convincing courageous people to pursue the extraction of the quantum logics from the arithmetical "material hypostases". This means, notably, to optimize the theorem prover for G and G*, and the variants. We need "only" an army of mathematicians working in a department of theology in some science academy ...

By UDA, the physical is given by, either Bp & p, or Bp & Dt, or Bp & Dt & p. (anything giving Bp -> Dp, so that we have a notion of bet).

Normally the first person plural one should be the one given by Bp & Dt.

p is for sigma_1 proposition, the "leaves" of the universal dovetailing, and B is for Gödel's beweisbar predicate, where all those nuances are enforced by incompleteness theorem for any machine betting on computationalism and trying to predict its consistent extension in arithmetic.

We do have the three quantum logics, and their corresponding quantization (the logic of []<>p, to "reverse" Goldblatt's translation of the modal logic into quantum logic) gives the quantum relations, from which it is hoped we get enough (we know we do get something complete, in some sense) to get either Gleason theorem, or a corresponding one.

The qualia should be given by S4Grz1 and X1* minus X1. But the quanta are sort of qualia, partially sharable and seems to appear in the three physics we get.

The logic with "Dt" (consistency) admits infinitely many weakening (using DDt, DDt, DBDt, ...), giving graded version of those quantum logics, and the space structure (gravity perhaps) should be related to Temperley-Lieb algebra and knot invariant related to the graded version of those logics. But here I have only conjecture.

We need also progress in the quantified version of G & variants, and progress in the semantics (but there has been some progress in the algebraic semantics, in Russia, and Georgia), notably very nice work by Blok and Esapia. We are only at the beginning of the machine interview.

Bruno

I have no problem with theories of mind,
but I am not sure that we can expect them to be validated or refuted
in the some way that other theories can be.

That's right. Not in the same way, but perhaps nonetheless, in principle and with justification, to the extent that it can be said to be explained at
all.

Yes. In the end, some weirdness is to be expected. After all, the
attempt to understand consciousness amounts to something creating
theory on itself. After all, we only have the first-person view. The
third-person view of reality is an abstraction. Independently of one's
position on MWI, comp, physicalism, idealism, etc, one only knows
reality in the 1p. Trying to understand consciousness is trying to
understand 1p from the 1p. If logic has taught me anything, it's that
once you apply something to itself, strange things happen...

Indirect measures of consciousness entail hidden
assumptions, and it becomes easy to beg the question.

Which particular question did you have in mind?

For example: does consciousness in humans supervene only on brain
activity?

Well, in the terms I've set out: Yes if you you mean the indispensable necessity of covariance with the observable physics, which is to say the spectrum of perceptible externality and its theoretical ontology. No if you mean an explanatory theory of knowledge. In the latter sense it may be said to supervene on something explanatorily prior to the emergence of both 'observation' and the 'observable', as for example in the comp theory.

The usual method of detecting consciousness involve
monitoring brain activity, so they beg the question.

Does what I've said so far affect your possible view of the situation in any
way?

Yes, I think you make an interesting distinction above. I think I agree.

It's funny because I argue a lot with Brent on this, but I am not
opposed to pragmatism. I love AI, and would love to know more about
how to reach human-level-AI. But there is a deeper dissatisfaction
that I insist on, and others (perhaps more wisely) don't.

Telmo.

David

Telmo.

David

Telmo.

David

In my opinion this results from equating intelligence and human
experience with consciousness. Maybe that position is correct, but
nobody can claim to know if this is the case.

There is overwhelming evidence that the physical brain is a computer, capable of storing memories, detecting patterns, predicting the future and so on. It is also the case that human experience depends on these mechanisms. What there is no evidence for is what is conscious or not.

For example, panpsychists hold that everything is conscious. I don't
see how such a hypothesis can be falsified at the moment.

Telmo.

-- they move in
lockstep, so if your body has decohered having obtained a particular
measurement result, all copies (if there be such) of this
consciousness
are
conscious of the same measurement result. By the identity of
indiscernibles,
there is then only one body and one consciousness. That is what QM and
MWI
tell you, any deviations are simple fantasy.

Bruce

The apparent non-locality is then purely an artifact on making such assumptions about localization in branches when that's wrong to do.

Saibal