On 6 June 2017 at 00:23, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> [...]
> the same world as Alice with her result as recorded in her lab book.
>
> A lot of your prevarications over EPR stem from a failure to realize that
> spacelike separations are not essential -- the proof is valid for *any*
> separation. Usually, spacelike is assumed only to assure the independence
> of the measurements made by Alice and Bob. But as long as they are truly
> independent, they can be at any separation.
>
> It seems to follow with the force of simple logic that:
>>>
>>> 4. Experiment shows that QM is non-local, even in MWI.
>>>
>>> Bruno appears to reject this conclusion. I conclude that Bruno's
>>> position is incoherent.
>>>

>> I will again ask you to tell me what is wrong with Michael Clive Price
>> explanation ... except that the web page is not available.
>>

> I have been through this before. I looked at Price again this morning and
> was frankly appalled at the stupidity of what I saw. Let me summarize
> briefly what he did. He has a very cumbersome notation, but I will attempt
> to simplify as far as is possible. I will use '+' and '-' as spin states,
> rather than his 'left', 'right'.
>
> He write the initial wave function as for the case when you and I agree in
> advance to have aligned polarizers:
>
> |psi_1> = }me, electrons,you> = |me>(|+-> - |-+>)|you>
>              = |me, +,-,you> - |me,-,+,you>
>
> He says that at this point no measurements have been made, and neither
> observer is split. But his fundamental mistake is already present.
>
> A little test for you: what is wrong with the above set of equations from
> a no-collapse pov?
>
> skipping some tedium, he then gets
>
> |psi_3> = |me[+],+,-,you[-]> - |me[-],-,+,you[+]>
>
> where the notation me[+] etc means I have measured '+', you[-] means you
> have measured '-'.
>
> He then claims that the QM results of perfect anticorrelation in the case
> of parallel polarizers has been recovered without any non-local interaction!
>
> Spoiler -- in order to write the final line for |psi_1> he has already
> assumed collapse, when I measure '+', you are presented *only* with '-', so
> of course you get the right result -- he has built that non-locality in
> from the start.
>
> He then considers the case of polarizers initially set at right angles,
> but he makes exactly the same mistake so I will not go through that case
> here.
>

> I am not alone skeptical about inferring that the violation of the Bell
>> inequalities shows action at a distance. What is wrong in Deutsch and
>> Hayden? What is wrong in Rubin (Rubin, M.A. Found Phys Lett (2001) 14: 301.
>> doi:10.1023/A:1012357515678), or in Maudlin's book?
>>

> They don't all necessarily make the same mistake as Price, but they all
> make equally silly mistakes, and build in the non-locality without
> realizing it. Last year I analysed the argument by Tipler
> (arxiv:quant-ph/0003146v1) in detail and showed where he made exactly this
> mistake of building the non-locality in without realizing it.

​Bruce, I'm reading The Emergent Multiverse by David Wallace at the moment.
He's well known as a prominent theorist of MWI. I don't know whether he
falls under your definition of competence in this area, but as far as I've
understood him, he fully accepts that MWI must be consistent with QM in all
respects, including of course nonlocality.​ The distinction he makes is
between nonlocality and the question of whether this requires us to think
in terms of instantaneous transfer of information at greater-than-light
speed, or "action at a distance". I can't say I've been able to get my head
around his full exposition of this yet, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't  go
along with your exposition of Price's seemingly faulty version of this.

As we know, MWI hypothesises multiple outcomes for each measurement event.
So on this basis, when Alice makes a measurement there is an immediate
split into branches consistent both with the measurement she records and
with its counterfactual partner. The same considerations must apply equally
to Bob. So we now have a spectrum of available branches in which exist
potential pairings of recorded measurements that would be consistent with
QM. The question then concerns which pairings of Alice and Bob we (or they)
should expect to observe in the form of actual encounters for the purpose
of comparing notes. QM tells us that the results of any such observable
pairings must be consistent with violation of Bell's inequalities. Can we
say, in terms of the logic of MWI, why this might be so?

David