On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 10:19:56 AM UTC+10, Brent wrote

   6/13/2017 4:11 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:

    > The reason why it would follow is precisely the point of my
   rhetorical
    > question above. If you take the wave function seriously, then you
   take
    > seriously that qubits really do exist in a superposition of states,
    > and this explains the exponential increase in computational power as
    > you add qubits to the systems in certain configurations. I guess you
    > can accept superposition and deny many worlds, but I would say
   that it
    > is quite an awkward move.

   Being in a superposition is just a matter choosing the basis.  If
   it's a
   pure state then there's some basis in which it is not a superposition.
   And if it's not in a superposition, then you can choose another
   basis in
   which it is.

The basis problem is always going to defeat naive accounts of many worlds. That is why most people now see decoherence as central, since that can give a principle reason for basis selection: the preferred basis is that which is stable against environmental decoherence. Separate worlds can only form after irreversible decoherence.

Bruce