On 28 Jun 2017, at 21:30, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 at 3:29 pm, Adrian Chira <adich...@gmail.com> wrote: I suggest there is and that we don’t need to throw the notion of free will in the garbage bin of meaninglessness.

https://adrianmchira.wordpress.com/2017/06/28/is-there-any-acceptable-definition-of-free-will/

It's OK not to have an explicit definition, but even the intuitive notion of free will leads either to triviality (free will is when I do what I want to do)

Is it really trivial? Free-will and consciousness are "obvious" from the 1p pov, yet irreductible to 3p, except with the poor lawyer defense "my client just obeyed to the physical laws".

Today, if you build a machine, and if the machine kills a human, you will be judged responsible, but for how long?

Higher order structure exist, and indeed even electron and proton will themselves be "reduced" has sort of collective hallucination (higher order structures)., without changing anything in physics, but a lot in metaphysics, theology and theotechnologies, etc.

It is not because we can represent something in something else that the "something" will disappears.

"Free" is easy to define, even if hard to obtain, the mystery is more in the will, even if we can intellectually understand that it has to be mysterious so as to proceed and survive.

or nonsense (free will is not compatible with my behaviour being either determined or random).

Or something in between. Something we can be confronted with in our everyday "higher order" life. We are not "just" colony of bacterias and amoebas.

Bruno

We are not human beings having spiritual experiences from times to times. We are spiritual beings having human experiences from times to times. (Chardin).

--
Stathis Papaioannou