> Il 14 maggio 2018 alle 14.17 agrayson2...@gmail.com ha scritto:
>

>     On Monday, May 14, 2018 at 6:20:42 AM UTC, scerir wrote:
>
>         > >

> >             > > > Il 14 maggio 2018 alle 6.52 agrays...@gmail.com ha
> > scritto:
> > >
> > >             'There is no inductive method which could lead to the
> > > fundamental concepts of physics. Failure to understand this fact
> > > constituted the basic philosophical error of so many investigators of the
> > > nineteenth century.'
> > >
> > >             What does he mean? AG
> > >
> > >         > >
> >     >     What is an "inductive method"? AG

"The theory of relativity is a beautiful example of the basic character of the
modern development of theory. That is to say, the hypotheses from which one
starts become ever more abstract and more remote from experience. But in return
one comes closer to the preeminent goal of science, that of encompassing a
maximum of empirical contents through logical deduction with a minimum of
hypotheses or axioms. The intellectual path from the axioms to the empirical
contents or to the testable consequences becomes, thereby, ever longer and more
subtle. The theoretician is forced, ever more, to allow himself to be directed
by purely mathematical, formal points of view in the search for theories,
because the physical experience of the experimenter is not capable of leading
us up to the regions of the highest abstraction. Tentative deduction takes the
place of the predominantly inductive methods appropriate to the youthful state
of science. Such a theoretical structure must be quite thoroughly elaborated in
order for it to lead to consequences that can be compared with experience. It
is certainly the case that here, as well, the empirical fact is the
all-powerful judge. But its judgment can be handed down only on the basis of
great and difficult intellectual effort that first bridges the wide space
between the axioms and the testable consequences. The theorist must accomplish
this Herculean task with the clear understanding that this effort may only be
destined to prepare the way for a death sentence for his theory. One should not
reproach the theorist who undertakes such a task by calling him a fantast;
instead, one must allow him his fantasizing, since for him there is no other
way to his goal whatsoever. Indeed, it is no planless fantasizing, but rather a
search for the logically simplest possibilities and their consequences."

--Einstein, Ideas and Opinions, 1954