From: Philip Thrift <cloudver...@gmail.com>
To: Everything List <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Mon, Dec 17, 2018 2:34 pm
Subject: Re: What is more primary than numbers?

On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 1:12:32 PM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

What I am curious to know is how how many of these statements you agree with:
"2+2 = 4" was true:
1. Before I was born2. Before humans formalized axioms and found a proof of
it3. Before there were humans4. Before there was any conscious life in this
universe5. As soon as there were 4 physical things to count6. Before the big
bang / before there were 4 physical things

Let + be "concatenation" (perhaps a more primitive notion than addition).
So

Now I could not write or show that without matter. The | is made and stored
with electrons in computer memory and then transferred via internet to a
computer screen. The concatenation operation producing the right side is made
via a computer or brain putting "sticks" together.
Before there were "sticks" there was no concatenation of "sticks". (See
question 6.)
What your brain does with the pixels you see above is up to your brain.
- pt