Oh My! I'll simply have to delete my un-read download of Carroll's book because
Woit disapproves!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Philip Thrift <cloudver...@gmail.com>
To: Everything List <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Mon, Sep 16, 2019 9:28 am
Subject: Re: Sean Carroll: Universe a 'tiny sliver' of all there is

On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 7:11:30 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 9:58 PM John Clark <johnk...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 4:49 AM Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Many Worlds" (as demonstrated via Sean Carroll here) demonstrates a failure
> of theoretical physics, or philosophy, or both.

And I think the above demonstrates a lack of courage to face the possibility
that reality may be structured in ways you do not like. As Carl Sagan said
"The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition".
 Perhaps he could usefully have added: "nor to be in perfect harmony with any
humanly devised equation."
Bruce

http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=11277

An Apology
Posted on September 15, 2019 by woitI’m afraid I made a serious mistake in this
relatively reasonable, while the jacket and promotional material that came with
it were nonsense, I assumed that Carroll was just being ill-served by his
publisher. It’s now clear I was very wrong. He’s on a book tour, and the
nonsense is exactly what he is putting front and center as a revelation to the
public about how to understand quantum mechanics. For a couple examples, here’s
what was on the PBS News Hour
The “many worlds” theory in quantum mechanics suggests that with every decision
you make, a new universe springs into existence containing what amounts to a
new version of you. Bestselling author and theoretical physicist Sean Carroll
discusses the concept and his new book, “Something Deeply Hidden,” with
NewsHour Weekend’s Tom Casciato.
and here’s something from his talk down the street from me.Using your public
platform to tell people that the way to understand quantum mechanics is that
the world splits depending on what you decide to do is simply What the Bleep?
level stupidity. Those in the physics and science communication communities who
care about the public understanding of quantum mechanics should think hard
about what they can do to deal with this situation. They may however come to
the same conclusion I’ve just reached: best to ignore him, which I’ll try to do
from now on.@philipthrift

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/dc4c393e-7f4c-4146-979a-7e5874f3b4e0%40googlegroups.com.