The article says they're referring to Einstein-Rosen bridges, which are
unstable wormholes that don't require negative energy, unlike the stable
traversable wormholes (for traversable wormholes, Kip Thorne originally
proposed that the required negative energy might be possible in quantum
mechanics due to the Casimir effect, I don't know if that's still viable
though). Not sure if quantum gravity would be expected to change things,
but in general relativity anyone traveling through an Einstein-Rosen bridge
at non-FTL speeds would see the wormhole throat "snap shut" into a
singularity before they could get to the other side, though observers
entering the two different wormhole mouths could meet in the interior
before being crushed by the singularity. There's a nice gif at
https://web.archive.org/web/20100528150236/http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/schww_gif.html
from the "Instability of the Schwarzschild Wormhole" section of the page at
https://web.archive.org/web/20100328163321/http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/schww.html