What about the idea of grounding the notion of probability in terms of the
frequency in the limit of a hypothetical infinite series of trials, what
philosophers call "hypothetical frequentism"? The Stanford Encyclopedia of
Philosophy discussion of this at
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/probability-interpret/#FreInt notes the
objection that the limit depends on the order we count the trials, but it
seems pretty natural to use temporal ordering in this case. Aside from the
philosophical objection that we don't have any clear a priori justification
for privileging temporal ordering in this way, are there any objections of
a more technical nature to hypothetical frequentism with temporal ordering
(scenarios where it would give you a different answer from standard
probability theory), or are the objections purely philosophical?