On Tuesday, December 27, 2022 at 5:47:32 AM UTC-6 johnk...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 27, 2022 at 5:59 AM Jason Resch <jason...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> *> There's an interesting relationship between the strength of the
>> electrostatic repulsion between two protons, and the gravitational
>> attraction of protons. It works out such that it takes ~10^54 protons
>> gathered together in one place before the gravitational attraction can
>> overwhelm the electrostatic repulsion. In other words, stars as as big and
>> long-lived as they are because gravity is so weak.*
>>

> That's true, and one of the biggest mysteries in physics is why gravity is
> so weak, after all the strong nuclear force can keep 100 or even 2 protons
> in one place. The only explanation I've heard is the hypothesis that there
> are other spatial dimensions besides the 3 that we're familiar with, string
> theory claims there are at least 9, but that all the forces of nature
> EXCEPT for gravity are confined to just 3 dimensions so they generally
> follow the law that says they decrease with distance according to the well
> known 1/r^2 rule, but gravity is free to radiate into all 9 dimensions so
> it decreases with distance according to a 1/r^8 rule; and the reason we
> don't see gravity behave this way in our everyday life is it the other 6
> dimensions are curled up very tightly so the effect becomes apparent only
> at the ultra microscopic scale. It's a nice theory but there's not a scrap
> of experimental evidence to support it.
>
>  John K Clark    See what's on my new list at  Extropolis
> <https://groups.google.com/g/extropolis>

It really is not so much that gravitation is so weak, but that elementary
particles have such small masses. The coupling constant for gravitation is
GM^2, or better a dimensionless form is (m_{pl}/m_higgs})^2. The Higgs
field is a quartic field, and if it were much more massive the phi^4
interaction would require it be near the Planck mass. The GM^2 version
scales with mass, which for elementary particles is very small, but for
black holes is huge.

LC