On Thu, Sep 14, 2023 at 5:56 PM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

*> the single-cell to multi-cell gap, the rise of many species (whose chief
> survival advantage is their high intelligence), seems to have been
> relatively short. *

> *been re We also note it occurs in many separate evolutionary lines
> (cephalopods, cetaceans, corvids, primates).*
> *It's true that if multicellular life is hard that intelligence is hard,
> but it seems once there's multicellular life, intelligence is easy.*

As far as the search for ET is concerned, the operational definition of
intelligence is the ability to make a radio telescope, and cephalopods,
cetaceans and corvids have not been able to do that. Multicellular life is
about 700 million years old, but radio telescopes have only been around for
about 90 years. But yes, 700 million years is short compared to 3.5 billion.

ccd