Productivity increase due to AI has yet to materialize. Systems like ChatGPT are not all that useful for the economy as a whole, because if you are a manager or programmer and you earn $300,000 per year and you can now do more work per hour, you are not going to work less hours and take a pay cut for working less. You are just going to do more things, so the costs of having you employed stays the same. Productivity measured by the rate of production of goods will not go up, because ChatGPT s not replacing people at the factory floor, at least not yet.

For ChatGPT to boost productivity would require that the managers take a pay cut and work less. They could then perhaps supplement their income by doing hands-on work that's difficult to automatize on the factor floor. But that's obviously not going to happen.

The reason why there has been no recession so far is because the Biden Administration has been spending massive amounts of money to stimulate the economy:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-08-06/bidenomics-boosts-the-us-economy-fanning-soft-landing-hopes-inflation-fears#xj4y7vzkg

And this in combination with the fact that many companies used the opportunity to refinance their debts and home owners refinanced their mortgages at low rates before the FED started to raise rates. This has increased the lag effect of the FED hikes. But the hammer will still come down, it will only take a bit longer. There will be companies that get into difficulties who previously could ahve been easily saved by a a cheap loan who now cannot get a cheap loan. So, even if refinancing is not an issue right now, the higher rates can still bite.

The refinancing wall is, however, still going to hit hard next year and in 2025. The FED will not have cut rates all that much unless the economy would already have tanked. The situation looks quite bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vkGjSybTLg&t=728s

And with bond yields having increased recently, this situation has only gotten worse.

Saibal