In the October 18, 2023 issue of the Journal Nature scientists report they
have made the world's smallest particle Accelerator:

Coherent nanophotonic electron accelerator
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-06602-7.epdf?sharing_token=SPQgOkRevWzXWP6lb_KM_tRgN0jAjWel9jnR3ZoTv0OsFtl2hsh124Lxz46d6DGAzD4pRolORBhqsOhlUOyy24CY-5bOXHScgpg9lx9EC5G_aBTdVzEok2m56r8toEfzcyhIp0GM1XtkkSufZIPTfQWnaL_vF1zRqDUvgyVYZwwPU61eqEOChzJzoUGeu-7R8frfQKhSd4z_Xo0FuY_OQnp0tSZZ9rlVEoB4_QWbjps%3D&tracking_referrer=physicsworld.com>

The accelerator is just 0.5 millimeters long (0.02 inches) an electron beam
enters one one end of a channel with an energy of  28,400 electron-volts
and comes out the other end with an energy of 40,700 electron-volts. The
machine doesn't work well for electrons that have very low energy, it's
more efficient when the electrons are moving close to the speed of light
that's why they first boost the electron's  energy by other means to 28,400
electron-volts. The researchers are confident they should soon be able to
reach 300,000 electron-volts which is the range of energy that an electron
microscope's use which should make them much cheaper. Inexpensive high
energy electrons might also replace Extreme Ultraviolet Lithography used to
make computer chips. They made their accelerator with silicone because they
were most familiar with how to work with it, but quartz would be much
better because it has a higher electric breakdown field. The lead
researcher of the article says:

"*I might be in a very small minority thinking this is going to play a role
in high-energy physics. The technology should be usable in materials such
as quartz, whose breakdown field is almost 1000 times that of a traditional
accelerator.  We expect this work to lead directly to the advent of
nanophotonic accelerators offering high acceleration gradients up to the
billion electron volt  per meter range. Our millimetre becomes a metre. By
the time we get to a metre we should match the SLAC two mile long electron
accelerator in energy. Think about having an accelerator sitting in my
office that matches SLAC. This new type of particle accelerator can be
built using standard cleanroom techniques, such as electron beam
lithography. This is why we think that our results represent a big step
forward. Everyone can go ahead and start engineering useful machines from
this.*"

wsa