On Tue, Nov 7, 2023 at 1:06 PM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I don't care if Joe Blow signs it or not with his private key that's on
>> his iPhone because I have no reason to trust Mr. Blow. I want the Apple
>> Corporation and the people who run the GPS satellites to sign a hash
>> function of the picture and the GPS data with their private keys, and their
>> private keys are not on anybody's phone, they're locked up somewhere in a
>> deep underground vault, or the cyber security equivalent.
>>

> *> But how would Apple, in your scenario, authenticate the picture was
> really taken from the camera of an iPhone?*

The person claims the picture was taken by an iPhone, if he is lying about
that then that is a very strong reason to suspect the picture is phony. Why
else would he lie about it?  And even if I couldn't be sure how the picture
was made I'd still know when and where it was made. So you couldn't claim
to have a compromising picture of me when I was a teenager, or claim to
have a picture of me taken in Bangkok the day before yesterday when I can
prove that the day before yesterday I was in Las Vegas.

ilv