On the contrary I think people who cite this as a great failure of QFT are producing clickbait.  No physicist has ever taken the number seriously.  I think it was always a misbegotten number because it's really calculating the eigenvalue of the energy in a Planck size cube.  But the eigenvalue of the energy is what you would get if you measured the vacuum energy in that cube. If you really tried to make such a measurement your instrument would have to supply the energy to define the Planck cube.  Absent a measurment, there's no reason to suppose the vacuum has all that energy.

Brent