As our discussion on databases/websites is getting rather technical, I suggest we create a special working group on it, including those ECCO members who have experience/interest in this (myself, Mixel, Carlos, Klaas, perhaps Andreas or others who are interested?).

If you want to be a member of this working group please let me know, and I'll arrange a separate email discussion/meeting so as not to burden the other ECCOs.

From: tanguy coenen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

As with all these projects, the issue is always to find someone to do the programming. Although it could be an interesting project, I don't think I'll have the time, as I'm in the last year of my phd. However, it might be possible to motivate some assistants who just started of at our department (MOSI). Furthermore, I believe that, if we propose a common project to R&D, they may be willing to support it.

Perhaps Tanguy could at least initially join our working group and if he doesn't have any more time, suggest someone from his department to replace him? I think it would be a very interesting project to develop a prototype smart recommender system/database for general VUB use, extending open-source systems such as Wiki. Moreover, a collaboration between ECCO and MOSI may be particularly fruitful since some of our affiliated ECCO members (Nick Deschacht, Geert Vancronenburg) are also MOSI members, and I have good contacts with Profs. Despontin and Plastria at MOSI.

Of course, this would be too ambitious without good programming competence, but ECCO happens to be lucky enough to have plenty of excellent programmers: Mixel, Carlos and Marko are experienced computer scientists, while Klaas and Andreas also have quite some skills. Such a project may be especially interesting for Mixel, who is a truly expert programmer, seems quite eager to be involved in this, but doesn't at present have a research scholarship. So if we could convince R&D to fund this, this might help as well ECCO, Mixel individually, as the VUB as a whole...
--

Francis Heylighen
Center "Leo Apostel"