Today I interviewed the last candidate on the present waiting list for joining ECCO (though I'm sure new applications will shortly appear), and my impressions were wholly positive. So, we can welcome Dirk Bollen as a new member.

Dirk is a psychologist with a specialization in AI/cognitive science, with particular interest in situated and embodied cognition and the emergence of global, intelligent organization from local interactions between simple components. You can check some of his ideas and papers on his websites: http://www.dirkbollen.tk/ and http://users.telenet.be/dirkbollen/research/index.html

After finishing his studies last year at the University of Maastricht, Dirk will shortly start to work full-time in software, but hopes to find enough free time, and eventually get some kind of scholarship, to continue his research towards a PhD. He plans to participate actively in our ECCO seminars and other activities. Some of you probably know his older brother, Johan Bollen, a former PhD student of mine who is now an assistant professor at Old Dominion University in the US, and who has always stimulated Dirk in pursuing his scientific interests.
--

Francis Heylighen
Evolution, Complexity and Cognition group