Title: Re: Wisdom of Crowds
Gottfried:

I just started listening to " The Wisdom of Crowds"  by James Surowiecki (2004). He describes some old observations by Galton[...]: There was a contest to estimate the weight of an ox and he found that the average of all the guesses was very close to the correct value. Apparently this has been confirmed by many experiments of estimating the number of "jellybeans in a jar".

[...]So I was wondering if this is just some simple statistical property of random guesses or what the current status of research is on these issues (the book seems to be more anecdotal than scientific).