Pijnlijk.
But indeed it shows that there may be a market for an english translation. Not only as coursenote but also as popular science book which would give a very nice introduction indeed to the field of complexity.

K.

On 1/13/05 12:35 PM, "Francis Heylighen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

From: "Yasli, Hakan SEOP-OFI/3531" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Francis Heylighen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Mr. Heylighen,

Here I present you with the "English" version of your book, "Complexiteit en Evolutie",
Considering that it was translated by a Turkish guy who can speak 3-4 Dutch words only should ring you alarm bells..
I wanted the material in the book very badly, so I translated it for myself using free online (machine) translator.
It may not be very satisfactory yet it can be helpful for enthusiasts like me..

I can understand the enthusiasm of some to get an English version of my lecture notes on "Complexity and Evolution", since this is indeed a very useful introduction to the whole ECCO domain (apart from the cognition aspect). But present machine translation is obviously not the way to do it. I include one of the more readable excerpts of the translation below to show what I mean ;-)

Hopefully, I will find the time in the coming years to make an extensive, English textbook version, as I have been planning to do...

The increasing importance of the evolutionaire approach
The idea of evolution variatie and selection are universal, and the origin of the types does not set limits to biology or. More and more scientific disciplines realise of it the importance and usefulness. In the last years one even is able think that the Darwinisme are a vogue phenomenon, if was not that the recent development has very deep carrots. Let outline our some examples:
? psychology appears be able our thinking processes and emotions explained always better from the assumption that they are the result of selection for fitness. Bvb. the emotion "jealousy" ensures that men keep their partner in the eye, so that they are certain that the children of their woman own offspring also their are, and not that of a rival. Men who did not know this emotion, had less offspring, and therefore their genen wer e selected.
? the "sociobiology" explains the ontstaan of social systems to sociology from the way these contributions to the fitness of their members. Bvb. vampire bats which succeeded in its much sucking blood, to pass on a part of this turnover to less lucky colleagues, in the expectation later also on count their mutual aid or solidarity to be able. Thus the bats run less risk for of hunger come when it accidentally once against zit. Fiddling colonies form one giant, incorporated society in which each worker is prepared its life to give for the colony. The reason is that all members of the colony are children of the same "queen", and therefore for a large part the same genen have. These genen have been selected the entire keep "family" in score rather than only an individual. (to see further 15.3).
? medicine ours barrel-ingot-driven, and immunity, sicknesses can become explained from the natural selection both of people (that an efficient maintaining m echanism necessary have to be able survive) and of germs (that this way contagious possible must be broadly be able itself reproduce, but their host must keep contagion alive long enough of others possible make). Bvb. the AIDS - and cold viruses are this way successful because they
shackle the geïnfecteerden not immediate to their bed, but them the chance others give (sex by means of direct contacts with, or the others sneeze) virus to spread in the immediacy of. On the other hand it little probable that the Ebolavirus will have been broadly spread touch, because geïnfecteerden fall almost immediate doodziek. A another example: dioxins are extremely toxic for test animals, but much less for people. A plausible declaration has been that people already for thousands of years have used fire, and smoke contains a lot dioxins. Genen which were in the meantime therefore selected here not against resistant its.

"Reality always represents an effort of abstraction of a fragmented aggregate, yet, that's all one would see as the becoming whole."

Erden Göktepe
ECCO TEAM

Do you Yahoo!?