Title: Reminder Seminar Joahn Bollen
Don't forget the seminar this evening with Johan, my former PhD student who now works in the US. For those who would like to meet him beforehand, he will arrive at my office in CLEA some time before the seminar...

Social network indicators of scientific impact

by

Johan Bollen
(Los Alamos National Laboratory & Old Dominion University)

Place: room 3C204 (building C, 3rd floor), VUB campus Oefenplein
Time: Friday, May 13, at 17:30 h.

Abstract:
I discuss a methodology developed at the Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) to determine article and journal impact from logs of user actions captured across a range of distributed information systems. We derive journal and article co-download graphs from the resulting log data which can complement existing citation data. Social network metrics which exploit the structural features of the generated co-download graphs  provide an alternative assessment of article and journal impact relative to the particular user community of a digital library. The aggregation of log data across different institutions and communities may lead to a standardized, generally applicable set of usage-based article and journal impact data. I discuss how the Los Alamos National Laboratory has studied the nature, structure and characteristics of its own customer base by an application of this methodology and provide the results of a recent analysis.

ECCO seminar programme coming weeks

20 May: Gerard Jagers op Akkerhuis: Closure and the modular evolution of matter
27 May: Lito Kyritsi: Systems Modelling of Cancer
3 Jun: Laetitia De Jaegher: Towards sustainable development: the precautionary principle as a call for a new theory of law to support multi-dimensional governance

ECCO seminars normally take place each Friday at 17h30 in room 3C204 of the VUB Campus Etterbeek. Everyone interested is welcome. The seminars are very interactive, with small groups (about 8-10 people). The intention is to discuss in depth the research being proposed, and to look for interdisciplinary connections with other ECCO-related themes. Seminars last about two hours, after which the remaining participants go to take a drink or a snack in the Opinio Café on the campus, to continue the discussion in a more relaxed setting.
--

Francis Heylighen
"Evolution, Complexity and Cognition" research group

Francis Heylighen
Evolution, Complexity and Cognition group